Google Home - Actions (API) now available!

You can definitely set up a proxy switchable item and use a rule to effect it - I do the same with my audio amp volume (using a Lighting tag). It’s a little off hearing Google Home say it’s adjusting my “Audio amp brightness to 20%” but it doesn’t bother me and it works :wink:

Yea, won’t really help the “woman acceptance factor”. I might stay with using VoiceCommands via IFTTT when it comes to the shutters. Hopefully it will be added to Google Assistant in the future. Not sure what’s the problem there…

I missed the slash on the end of /rest/items…I’ll add that and try again.

<myIP> - - [23/Feb/2018:08:25:43 +1100] "POST /rest/itemsLight_Deck_voice HTTP/1.1" 404 178 "-" "-"

I have this working great also, and would really like to thank Mehmet and everyone else who helped to make this happen.

It really is a huge leap forward for openHab (IMO) and makes an already fantastic product into a home automation system that you could set up for GrandMa :wink:

Kudos guys!

I’m having the exact same issue on an android. I remember having a similar issue trying to add Hue to the Google Home at first, possibly more related to Google than openhab?

I couldn’t agree more - this is a killer feature for OpenHAB that puts it above the other HA systems out there…I’m so excited about it I even made a little demo video to advertise the feature :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve got this working and it’s great! Thanks @mashborn and @skimdankish for your help.

1 Like

I don’t know if that’s more a Google issue or a binding issue. I can say, “Alexa, open the shades” and she does. Google says she can’t understand.

Right now the system only understands the “Lighting” and “Switchable” tags… That’s why it doesn’t understand “open the shades” setting the shades up with a switchable tag (and some other backbone work) would allow “toggle the shades” or “turn the shades on/off” to work.

First of all Thanks to all for this great work. Great Respect for all your work. I have a little understanding Problem, is there a chance to managed my Comet Dect with Google Home? and how will I do this? I used it with “lighting” and “switchable” but Google doesnt show me anything.
Thanks for help.

Same issued here

Yea, I think it’s google related. They don’t support shutters yet. It’s a shame really. I don’t understand, how something as common would not be implemented right away.

I was actually able to resolve this by removing all tags except one, then going back through the google home app and adding the Openhab service. It connected successfully, then I just asked google home to sync devices. Now I can add the rest of the tags back again - although I noticed google says ‘error syncing openhab’ if I don’t have a name for the switches like this:
Switch HutchLight "Hutch Light" ["Switchable"]

Hot damn, that was actually super simple. Managed to set it all up in under 30 minutes. @MARZIMA Well done!! Donation coming your way (tell me how) for all you hard work and even more kudos!

1 Like

I have my shades working acceptably using some dummy switches. You have to say “turn on left shade” or “turn off left shade” or “turn on left shade XX%”. Natural? No, but it’s workable.

The one difference I am finding in the Amazon v Google implementations is I can ask Alexa to “open [or close] the shades” and “open [again, or close] the shades XX%”. For reasons I can’t figure out, she won’t respond to open/close on the individual shades, only on the group dummy switch. And Google “doesn’t understand” the open/close language at all even on the group dummy switch. I’m guessing this has something to do with a backend grouping due to the fact that my devices all have the word “shade” in them, but I’m not going to bother to test that hypothesis. Just an FYI.

Items:

Group:Rollershutter		gShades
	Dimmer				iShades	"Shades" ["Switchable"]
Rollershutter	iRight_Shade	(gShades) {channel="zwave:device:b3440654:node18:switch_dimmer"}
	Dimmer iRight_Shade1		"Right Shade"  ["Switchable"]
Rollershutter	iLeft_Shade		(gShades) {channel="zwave:device:b3440654:node19:switch_dimmer"}
	Dimmer iLeft_Shade1			"Left Shade"  ["Switchable"]

Rules:

rule "All Shades"
when
	Item iShades received update
then
	gShades.sendCommand(iShades.state.toString)
end

rule "Right Shade"
when
	Item iRight_Shade1 received update
then
	iRight_Shade.sendCommand(iRight_Shade1.state.toString)
end

rule "Left Shades"
when
	Item iLeft_Shade1 received update
then
	iLeft_Shade.sendCommand(iLeft_Shade1.state.toString)
end

Hi folks,

I will asap tackle the tag issue.
There are some PRs, I have to review first.
But will be fixed really soon. New features on its way too.

Will soon push an update and let you all know.

9 Likes

I think it always sounds pretty ungrateful if I ask questions when this or that works and puts your great work in the background. But that’s really not what I mean. I’m really thankful for what you Mehmet and everyone else do.
Greeting Olaf

This is an extract of my items file. I removed the tradfri address for privacy and replaced with xxxxx…

When I link openHAB on Google Home all my devices are called “Brightness” instead of their names… Why is that!? I have 20 devices and cannot know which goes where because they all have the same name on Google Home, but they are named correctly on openHAB… Some help please?

Switch    FF_Hallway_Light_3                                  "Light 3"            <switch>             (FF_Hallway_Light,All_Lights)                                 ["Tradfri"]        {channel="tradfri:0220:xxxxxxx:65558:brightness"}
Dimmer    FF_Hallway_Light_3_Brightness                       ""                   <light>              (FF_Hallway_Light,All_Lights)                                 ["Tradfri"]        {channel="tradfri:0220:xxxxxxx:65558:brightness"}
Dimmer    FF_Hallway_Light_3_Temperature                      "Colour"             <rgb>                (FF_Hallway_Light,All_Lights)                                 ["Tradfri"]        {channel="tradfri:0220:xxxxxxx:65558:color_temperature"}

I have the same issue. In my case i had items in habmin named “brightness” and “color” that have the lighting tag.

I see the same items in the Alexa binding.

Best regards Robert

I believe your tag should be [“switchable”] for your case. (not TradFri)