Google Home - Actions (API) now available!

If I switch a light by voice with “Esstisch einschalten”…
…Alexa switches and answeres “OK”
…Google switches and answeres "Gerne, die Lampe Esstisch wird eingeschaltet"
I prefer the short response.
Is this a string in the OpenHAB-Connection, @MARZIMA?
Or is this string controlled by google?

2 Likes

By Google not by OH. Sorry.

I agree that GH is way too chatty. Google wants it that way so that you know exactly what it is doing. This is in case it interprets incorrectly and starts turning on lights you never asked for.

1 Like

In my livingroom I have to control 5 blinds + 6 lights + harmony hub (+heating). If I dont want to call a dedicated scene and to set the ambient manually then it’s too much voice-feedback of google.
As I read multiple commands will be available soon. Then maybe it could work with concatenated commands like “switch on couchlight and switch on softlight to 20% and open gardenblind”?!?

1 Like

As of now you can chain 2 commands. I also read somewhere that 4 to 5 commands would be doable in a coming Google update.

Thanks, I tried and it did not work :frowning:

Try [“Switchable”] unfortunately case is important.

Michael,

What I have done is chain the commands on the OpenHAB side using a rule. For instance, when I go to bed and I want to turn lights, appliances, lock the door, etc. I say “Ok, Google shut it down” and then it changes the state of the associated item. When OH sees this item has turned to OFF, it will then execute what I have said (e.g. turning everything off). The only audible response from Google is “Ok Turning First Floor Bedtime OFF”.

2 Likes

Ryan, that is what I called dedicated scene. For some scenarios I use this, too. But over the year with different seasons / temperatures and lightingneeds that’s no perfect solution for me.

1 Like

First of all, I want to thank you for your work. I was starting to try Google Home connecting to Openhab directly a few days ago (I used IFTTT before). Here are hundred of discussions mixed together and there is no way to find something like a Tutorial or HowTo from the beginning. It is even harder to find any other topic or website due the many different older ways to connect Google Home with Openhab. (Hue Bridge or something like installing own SDK).
I want to use the “Google Home” App on my Android smartphone, go to “Smart Home Devices”, add a new smart home device, scroll to “Openhab”, allow it in myopenhab.org account and add my items directly. It is always empty and disappearing fast. Can someone name me a site or topic with a tutorial from the scratch?

If not, here is my scenario:
I already have a myopenhab.org account and it worked good with IFTTT.
But if I use the Android App to connect Google Home with Openhab it just shows “Account is linked” and the view is disappearing quickly. I can not choose anything. I also erased all items in myopenhab.org and just added a simple Switchable in PaperUI, triggered it once from off to on. It’s the only item listed on myopenhab.org. But again, nothing appears in my Google Home App. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

@Tom_15, these two posts might be of some assistance.

Google Home & openHAB connection How-To

Ian

1 Like

@Tom_15 , I think you may forgot to edit the openhab item. You need to add tags to your item. Take a look at the item configuration. For example the [“Lighting”] tag. After that reconnect the openhab binding. You should now see the tagged items.

1 Like

That was what I was searching for. It works like a charm. Thank you for pointing the right posts.
May I suggest something to openhab.org
Openhab instructions and tutorials are very hard to find in a community form. At least for me. So hard to search all the topics and posts for a beginner help. Can you give those great developers like Marzima an early opportunity to write a article in the docs/tutorial. Community can be for discussions and questions then.

1 Like

I agree. The one thing I like about the Echo is that it just simply replies with “Ok” after it completes my request. The Google Home repeats what I said which in most cases is unnecessary. A simple “You got it” would be perfect.

I also found that annoying with IFTTT and changed Google’s response through IFTTT to “Okay”… So it would be perfect if we could have the Google Home Actions API allow us to define Google’s response, as we can in IFTTT “My Applets”…

Newly added items do not seem to be automatically discovered. I had to restart bundle, unlink and link OH from Google Home every time before the new items show up, which of course, I need to reconfigure everything again from Google Home (assign rooms, etc). Anyone else having this issue?

Easier to just say
“hey google sync my devices”

1 Like

I know, right? Wish it worked. No error or anything unusual on logs also

Interesting… Sync my devices doesn’t work, but completely reconnecting the system does?

Some really interesting new features with Actions On Google:

This looks like it could be really powerful.
I have a OH rule currently that checks if the garage door is open at 8 and 9 pm each day, then uses TTS to play a messgage “The garage door is open/closed”. With this new “push notifications” functionality you could have it check at 9pm - push the notification and if its OPEN. then Google can ask “Would you like me to close it?” and you only need to reply with a “Yes/No”…
…at least i think this could be done…

The other really interesting thing to extend @MARZIMA work, would be to use the “Custom Device Actions” - then we can control anything - seems you no longer need Google to define the traits they support!

“Blinds up” / Blinds Down/ Stop
"Open the "

1 Like