Google Home - Actions (API) now available!

Ok there are many volunteers (count me in), maybe you publish the beta here in this thread so anyone willing to test can do so :smile:

If possible: I would like to be an early adopter too. If you need code reviews, I also would jump in. Otherwise: thank you and I am looking forward!

Hi Mehmet, Eagerly awaiting your beta version. Please add me to the list of beta testers if possible. I have both a GH and google assistant on android in Australia.
Thanks for your hard work.

Thanks Mehmet for all your work.

I will also be happy to test :slight_smile:

I love beta tests, have a google home and the google assistant on some devices.

I wrote it in early posts that i would like to be a beta tester :slight_smile:

So feel free to contact me :slight_smile:

Hello,

Just to be sure Iā€™m understanding what all of this mean. Once we have this working, it means that through Google Home, we will be able to control openhab or itā€™s the other way arround?

Iā€™m using Google Assistant right now to control various things (without a google home), like philips hue, myq garage door (through IFTTT and OpenHab) and Iā€™d like to continue using Google Assistant. The question right now is with Google Assistant connected to Philips Hue (for exemple), I can ask if the lights are on, what color they are, samething with thermostat. Will this API allow us to have all of that with OpenHab? For exemple, OpenHab know the current status of my garage door, but since I must go through IFTTT for Google Assistant to talk to openhab, I can only tell him to open or close the door, I cannot ask him the current status of the door. This API will allow that?

THank you!

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if it change something but I use Google Home in canada in french with an iphoneā€¦ I would love to participate to the beta testing !

Google Home / OpenHab User from Germany here. Would like to beta-test the new integration.

Greetings, benny

It seems actually Action on Google is only avaiable in english. In the action console, French or German are grayed.

@furax54

Smart Home apps are structured differently than a traditional app for the Assistant. This is because how users trigger actions and the actionsā€™ conversations are handled for you, and all you need to do is handle Smart Home intents on your service.

See https://developers.google.com/actions/smarthome/

Thatā€™s why smart home actions are available in even more languages.

@Nodiaque

Once we have this working, it means that through Google Home, we will be able to control openhab (not the other way round).

Great, thatā€™s what Iā€™m looking for. So Iā€™ll be able to ask google whatā€™s my garage door statut like I can du with Hue for exemple?

Does Google Home = Google Assistant?

Basically yes and yes. The specific features might differ thoughā€¦ Youā€™ll have to wait and see what commands are supported.

No problem, a beginning is a start for something that can really grow! I myself donā€™t have a google home but using Assistant through IFTTT and openhabcloud. If I can, in a futur, go directly from google assistant to openhab, nothing better!

Thanks for the info!

@furax54 introduced a terrific doubt. Will the coming binding allow controlling openHAB with French language or not ?
That is a prerequisite for me to buy a Google Home.

as if right now the google actions page says that you can develop actions
for languages en-us and en-gb. But it would surprise me greatly if google
would want to be limited to these one?/two? languages in the near future.

Please see my post above.

Smart home actions are different than regular actions. I have my device set to german and I can see the smart home section in google assistant / google home. So I can confirm that this is working for german at least. As far as I know it should also be available in French.

Hi Lolodomo, happy to read you again.
As far as I know, it will be possible in any language for smart home, but it may depends on how it was madeā€¦
In the mean time, with IFTTT and myopenhab, it already works pretty well in frenchā€¦

Or wait a month ā€¦ and buy a mini google home at 50 bucks !