GPS location

Does anyone know if there’s a plan to add support for sending GPS location through the app instead of having to download and configure additional apps to (owntracks, etc)?

I see bounties are on the main openHAB github but not the android app (or at least I didn’t see any posted). Is it available and possible to link a bounty to just the Android app or should it be done in the main app?

2 Likes

If you’re an Android user, this might be useful

There are a number of additional useful apps, but having to load/manage/etc “another” phone app for every phone in the house doesn’t really need to be necessary. It certainly works, I’d just rather have GPS in an app that is already sending device statistics.

There’s a feature request about it: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-android/issues/343

With the current system of sending device information to the server, it shouldn’t be too hard to add gps.

Thanks! I was searching more for the method (GPS) than feature (presence). Now to figure out how to bounty!

Hi @mueller-ma,

I stumbled across this old topic but I think it is still a valid question if GPS data from the smartphone may not be sent to the server directly from this app. Has there been any evaluation if this could be feasible?
It would be much more efficient to have this for geo-fencing included in the openHAB app directly and not leveraging external apps ans APIs?

Maybe you are so kind and share your thoughts and findings :slight_smile:

Cheers
Justus

Hi @ohb1138,

there’s another recent thread about GPS in the Android app: Openhab android client gps coordinates - #13 by rlkoshak

There’s also an open feature request, so PRs are welcomed :slight_smile:

Thank you, I will check this topic but I guess I know that one where @rlkoshak also tries to think about different approaches but I will look for the latest updates there.

The feature request on GitHub is not open … it has been closed by @Kai in 2018. It leads to another pull request which has also been closed:

Unfortunately I have no programming skills to give any help full input :frowning:

Thank you for providing this information.