Gui to manage schedule?

Ok I might have to explore that a bit :slight_smile:

//M

from what ive tead recently you can use the caldev bindinh to tie into an existing calendar and schedule from there. (at least i believe so…) i think it imports schedules from the calendar.

Thanks - I’ll look into that :slight_smile:

For me its actually not working with the last beta5 of openhab2. With oh1 its fully working.

looks like gcal works…again, no experience with it though…

can be found on paperui under misc tab

This one looks really simple but I dont know what I have to type into “Value” or so, sorry dont know the field exactly for now.

I’ve installed the Network Binding and assigned fixed IP Adress to my Phone and give it a Name.
Milight is also Working fine but couldn’t figure out how to create a simple switch with the paperUI.

I think with the experimental Rule Editor and my current bindings this should be no big deal…

Any hints appreciated!
Greets from Austria

Back to the OP question, one underlying problem is that sun related events rely on an add-on, the Astro binding.
That makes it complicated to provide an out-of-the -box GUI for scheduling as the Astro binding may not be present.
But I agree with the need.

Hmm that sounds like a bit of a hurdle to get by then?

//M

I am having good success with the Google Calendar Scheduler add-on. After setup, you simply place new events on a dedicated calendar (named “House” or whatever) that either send commands or post updates to items, which can of course trigger rules to run. In the alternative, you can integrate with IFTTT via myopenHAB. Having a calendar system native to openHAB would also be nice, and there has been past discussion about possible friendly UIs as part of it.

1 Like

Perhaps, technically Astro is an optional binding, but nothing excludes bindings from being mandatory, even if none is today.

If it’s not too much to ask would you be able to provide a couple of screen shots to show the actual setup?

I think I’ve got the general understanding, but again the WAF is a major pain point here :slight_smile:

//M

Please study the wiki about it. You can ignore the Presence Simulation section for now, since it’s optional. Your wife would have to put in the description of the calendar entry something like send PorchLight OFF.

Suggestions for improving the wiki page are welcome, or you can even improve it yourself if you have a GitHub account (but if you do, please be clear and concise!)

OT, but that is a very nicely written documentations. Kudos.

The idea to make such a rule (switch light based on phone in WLAN) sounds good to start off with.
Some experiences:
This presence detection based on WLAN is not working for IPhones (because of their deep sleep).
The reaction isn’t anything near instant, the light will not switch on when entering, more likely after putting of your coat.
You will need a more sophisticated if the switch shall be triggered in case of “leaving the house just for the trash bin”.

I had something like that (playing a welcome jingle) but that got annoying, in other words WAF went down.

Thanks! There’s a long history of people contributing to this effort, and a big shout out to @SirAd for reviving the Google Calendar integration.

@watou I havent read this thread completely. But what we do(actually my girlfriend) is to use ifttt and schedules and or calender items there to controls things in openhab. We use it for things like turning on/off xmas lights outside in xmas time, when to drain water heater, when to change filter on the hvac and so on…

However we have defined the OH items with text editor(I did that) and then my gf simply using the easy to use ifttt gui to link events to these items whenever she needs it.

Thanks for all the help so far, it seem’s I should be able to make something the wife can accept after all :slight_smile:

So just one last question, would you recommend me to start with 1.8 or jump straight to 2.0 Beta and go from there?

//M

:blush:

1 Like

That really didn’t answer my question - I asked for what you would recommend. Not what’s the difference :smiley:

//M