HABPanelViewer 0.9.27

Hey @dotelpenguin, thanks for your reply.
Admin mode was enabled and I installed “Do not sleep” app, which keeps the screen on. But something is still wrong.
Commands are not received . And after some time, the displayed page doesnt update any longer.

The wall-tablet/FireHD is stale, while the iPhone below shows the accurate values (temp & air quality). The clock is a built-in widget, which does not sync.

There is also no red border around HPV which manly alerts on broken communication between HPV and OH3.
I’m not sure how to dig deeper. Any idea welcome.
Thanks much

I had a panel that did that, it turned out to be a widget that leaked memory. Do all displayed pages time out, or just that one specificaly? I would create a new page with just a single element and see if it behaves differntly. If that page also locks up or stops updating swap out the element for something else. You can at least rule that out.

I use habpanel dashboards extensibly, I havn’t yet started to convert them over to native as I know it will be a big undertaking.

Thats quite possible. I have a tabbed view with 4 pages. One of them is displaying 5 camera streams.
Will test with a single page. Thanks for the hint.

I’m having an issue when tablets restart - they don’t automatically show the room screen - just a blank screen.

• Works: hitting the home button seems to show the right screen
  • Doesn’t work: the application restart (from the slide-out bar on the right)
  • Doesn’t work: startup after reboot.

I’m using the APK from the git repo.

My config file is at https://github.com/imaginator/system/blob/master/salt/openhab-tablets/files/de.vier_bier.habpanelviewer_preferences.xml#L56-L57

And I put a video here to try and illustrate the issue: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rR6oE3JC7GPDbev78

I’ve also noticed that the dark/light theme stuff doesn’t seem to be respected. The prefs file is updated, but the screen is running always light mode.

Any ideas on how to debug this or work out what’s happening? I put a adb logcat here: https://gist.github.com/imaginator/558965c378dce3a9ce9a1eca18e54837

HPV theme only applies to HPV widgets (menu, prefs, …), not to the web content (aka openHAB).
So this works as expected in your video.

Looking at your logcat, I can see that you started HPV in line 2854 and that it reports to have your start URL loaded in line 3221. It then reports to have the start URL loaded again in line 3276.

I am not sure what you did to get that log, does this correspond to the video? Propbably not?

I will see if I can reproduce the problem. You could capture an adb log only containing the start to the point where it shows the white screen. That would make it easier to understand what happens when I look into the log file.

Edit: did you try to long press the screen when it is white after startup? Does that bring up the context menu?

I have created a last release for HPV. It has been added to GitHub and should be available on f-droid soon:

• add credential storage encryption with master password
  • added support for openHAB 3
  • added experimental noise level reporting
  • added command: TO_FRONT
  • improve reconnect
  • improve desktop mode
  • show if battery optimization for HPV is enabled in system information
  • allow to pause webview when device screen is off
  • make motion timeout configurable

As can be seen by the word “last”, I will no longer do maintenance or development on the app, I am lacking the time and motivation. If somebody wants to take over, feel free to clone the repository and to continue work on HPV.

5 Likes

**[quote=“vbier, post:1012, topic:34112, full:true”]
I have created a last release for HPV. It has been added to GitHub and should be available on f-droid soon:

• add credential storage encryption with master password
  • added support for openHAB 3
  • added experimental noise level reporting
  • added command: TO_FRONT
  • improve reconnect
  • improve desktop mode
  • show if battery optimization for HPV is enabled in system information
  • allow to pause webview when device screen is off
  • make motion timeout configurable

As can be seen by the word “last”, I will no longer do maintenance or development on the app, I am lacking the time and motivation. If somebody wants to take over, feel free to clone the repository and to continue work on HPV.
[/quote]

Thank you for all your time and effort on this. I use this extensibly in my home (12 Android Tablets now). I might need to learn to code for android now.

Hi @vbier Volker,
thank you for the great effort and engagement.
Could it be, that you kept Debug enabled in the last APK version?
This version has more than twice the size of the release before and is totally slow and nearly not editable on my Lenovo M10. Cn you please compile one last version with Debug disabled?

Thanks again Joerg

All versions that I have released so far on github have debug enabled. The increased size is due to the sqlcipher library which is needed for encryption of the credentials.

There have been problems with the build on fdroid. I am looking into this and hope to have it fixed soon.

I know that development has stopped but I’d like to ask a question anyway, maybe someone knows the answer.
I have a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 with Android 11. I don’t know yet, if I will return it.
My problem is that CAPTURE_SCREEN does not work. If I enable the checkbox for this in the settings, the app restarts and the tablet asks then if I want to allow that the app does this.
But if I accept, the app crashes. This happens every time. If I decline, then the checkbox is off again in the settings and I cannot do screen capture.
This functionality works fine on 2 older tablets with Android 5 (Fire) and Android 7 (Custom ROM).
Anyone has any hints or workarounds? Thanks!

Are you running the latest apk from github or the last one on the play market?

I extensively use this with 8 Lenovo M8 tablets in my house, they are all running Android 10 and I do not have this problem. I havn’t tried it with my Samsung on 11 yet.

I am using the latest apk from GitHub. I guess, Google introduced in A11 that this permission must be allowed for each app start and HabPanelViewer cannot deal with that.
Anyway, I have returned the Samsung tablet because of other issues.

Can I use HPV with Android 12? Since update from my Samsung Tab a7 i have Problems with the command item.

I discovered GitHub - enishoca/openhab-kodi I haven’t had a chance to look and play around with it yet and I’m not sure how up to date it is. I’ve been looking around in terms of #add-ons:uis generally. I’d love to be able to make Openhab universally available to home users from the TV screens we already have rather than put in additional devices using things like #habpanelviewer

I haven’t got much development experience (I’m a BA not a coder) but would be interested in anyone wanted to talk through specing something out.