Hardware recommendations?

Hi,

I recently found out about openHAB and would love to set it up and control my house with it. My problem is that the system is compatible to so many different companies’ hardware and I am not sure what to use. Since such a variety is supported, I was hoping somebody could help me find a solution.

This is what I would like to do:

• control 4 different radiators
  • thermometers for 3 different rooms (to set the radiators’ temperature accordingly)
  • smoke detectors for 7 different rooms
  • open/closed sensors for 11 windows
  • open/closed sensors for 3 doors
  • control 5 manually operated shutters
  • open/closed sensor for manually operated garage door

The reason I have mentioned the amount of items I need is because I have seen that certain companies offer packages.

I do not care whether or not I will be using one companies products or combine different companies products. However, I do care about the amount of money I will have to spend. Which products would you recommend me?

Thanks and best regards

I think Z-Wave devices fit most of your list very well, and with Z-Wave, you have your choice among many manufacturers and product lines. As long as they speak Z-Wave and are within wireless range of one another (similar in concept to wi-fi range), you can see and control them all from openHAB. Consider buying the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 as well, a USB-connected device that will communicate between the other devices and the machine running openHAB.

Although this is not likely to be an issue, Z-Wave devices sold in different parts of the world may use incompatible radio frequencies, so make sure you’re buying devices that are all either US, or EU, or are local to where you live.

Lastly, if you find a non-Z-Wave device that fits a need really well, look to see if there is an openHAB binding for it, and don’t worry if you have to have some non-Z-Wave devices mixed in – openHAB is great at that!

1 Like

Check out this thread.
I’d recommend eQ-3 MAX! series for thermostats and window/door sensors.

In general, as @watou recommends, zwave is a good choice.
Haven’t seen any cheap smoke detectors so far. I’m using the Fibaro FGSD002, but they’re 55€.
On thermometers, they’re included in the MAX! thermostats and the Fibaro smoke sensor.
Or in any Fibaro or Aeon motion detector (you’ll want motion detectors soon, anyway).
Or you can buy some cheap DS18B20 sensors on ebay, these can be attached to Fibaro FGK or Qubino devices if you happen to have one in the room.
Shutters, well there’s a number of them from Fibaro, Qubino, Philio.

You are on the right track with regard to the decision making process. You have taken the FIRST step by stating:

This is what I would like to do:

• control 4 different radiators
  • thermometers for 3 different rooms (to set the radiators’ temperature accordingly)
  • smoke detectors for 7 different rooms
  • open/closed sensors for 11 windows
  • open/closed sensors for 3 doors
  • control 5 manually operated shutters
  • open/closed sensor for manually operated garage door

This forms the basis for a set of system REQUIREMENTS. The next is to create a map of the rooms and place the sensors\actuators to form a physical MODEL. Distances \ obstacles can become an important factor with regard to communication and is only reflected in the model. Perhaps the country you reside in should be part of the requirements, because of z-Wave frequency considerations. Once the model has been sufficiently matured, different hardware CONFIGURATIONS can be planned and MEASURED. In this case you have stated cost as a key metric.

Good luck and have fun with your system. If you would like to publish your model, final system requirements, analysis and purchased items, I think that others would appreciate the effort.