Harmony Hub -- why is currentActivity NULL?

Platform information:

• Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2
  • Java Runtime Environment: openjdk version “1.8.0_252”
  • openHAB version: 2.5.6-2

Hi folks,

I have to be doing something really dumb, but I can’t find it. I consulted the Harmony binding docs, and have my Harmony Hub added as an item and it’s online, and I’m trying to read the currentActivity, but it’s reporting NULL. Any help is greatly appreciated. Here is my config:

Things:

Bridge harmonyhub:hub:Familyroom [ host="10.0.0.11", name="Family Room" ] {
    device	TV			"Harmony TV" 			[ id=50667554 ]
	device	Receiver	"Harmony Receiver"		[ id=35798035 ]
	device	DirecTV		"Harmony PVR"			[ id=31185166 ]
	device	DVR			"Harmony DVR"			[ id=31185598 ]
	device	DVD			"Harmony DVD"			[ id=31185163 ]
	device	PS4			"Harmony PS4"			[ id=50639760 ]
}

Items:

String 	HarmonyActivity	"Current Activity [%s]" 	(gHarmony)	{ channel="harmonyhub:hub:Familyroom:currentActivity" }

Sitemap:

Frame label="Harmony" {
		Default		item=HarmonyActivity
	}

have you enabled XMPP local access on your harmony?

XMPP must be enabled on your Harmony Hub. This can be completed from Menu > Harmony Setup > Add/Edit Devices & Activities > Remote & Hub > Enable XMPP in the Harmony app.

That was it! LOL, I would have never found that. Thanks.

1 Like

No, this is not true. The Harmony Hub binding uses websockets and not XMPP, so you should not have to do anything on the Harmony side to have openHAB discover or use your remotes.

1 Like

Since snapshot 2.5.0.201902252032 “Harmony binding” supports WebSocket only!

Please also see here.

You could disable XMPP again and Harmony Hub still should run with openHAB 2.5.6-2.

I disabled XMPP after enabling it, and the HH binding is continuing to work. It’s unclear to me why initially enabling XMPP was necessary to get it working since HH now uses websockets , but it’s working so thanks again.

1 Like

I never new it switched. I dunno why it worked either. Maybe timing?