How to transfer configuration from one openhab to another

Hi,

i am going mad with basic problem i think…
i wanted to upgrade my openhab 2.4.0 running perfect in containerstation on my qnap nas
so i created a new container installed latest version and tranfered the whole openhab folders - items, things etc… also the config folder from the other volume… but i still dont have the settings in paper ui and i dont want to add all manually again. KNX f.ex. is not working… dont know if all addons and services are installed again… how is it possible to transfer the whole setup from one to another openhab version maybe on a differente machine ?

find a lot of posts… but no one which helped…

oliver

• Platform information:
    • Hardware:qnap nas TS453Be
    • Containerstation
    • openHAB version: 2.5.1

No “best guess” at all??

Maybe you can look at the most excellent Backup and Restore functionality that is in the openhab-cli script?

If they do not exert enough effort to at least hazard a guess, the issue is generally not important enough to them for us to spend our limited time assisting, in my opinion

1 Like

On your existing OH server use this command sudo openhab-cli backup --full.
This will make a zipped backup and tell you the location e.g. /var/lib/openhab2/backups/

Next use something like filezilla to transfer the backup from the server to your PC or move it to a USB stick.

Now on your new OH server make a backup, same steps as above, to create a backup file. Once the file has been created you can delete that backup and move the backup from existing server to the backup location.

Once the file is in place, stop OH with sudo systemctl stop openhab2 then use sudo openhab-cli restore /var/lib/openhab2/backups/ and restart OH with sudo systemctl start openhab2

7 Likes