Howto: Generate similar item/sitemap configurations using templates

I have got lots of door and window sensors and radiator controllers. They are all are configured in a similar way, having several items. So I was looking for a way to avoid typing the configurations again and again. After some investigation I found a nice Java tool named STST http://hardlikesoftware.com/weblog/stst/ . This combines templates and data to generate any kind of text files. It reads data from a JSON format, which is very concise and handy. STST is based on the very powerful template engine StringTemplate https://www.stringtemplate.org/ .

Here is an excerpt of my generated file to configure my window items:

Group gWindows "Alle Fenster"

// Window_Kitchen "Fenster KĆ¼che"
Contact Window_Kitchen "Fenster KĆ¼che" <window> (gWindows, gContacts) {channel="zwave:device:77ecbab9:node19:sensor_door"}
Number Window_Kitchen_battery "Batterie Fenster KĆ¼che [%d]" <battery> (gBatteries) {channel="zwave:device:77ecbab9:node19:battery-level"}
Number:Temperature Window_Kitchen_sensorTemperature "Temperatur Fenster KĆ¼che [%d]" <temperature> (gDeviceStatuses) {expire="13h", channel="zwave:device:77ecbab9:node19:sensor_temperature"}
Switch Window_Kitchen_alarmPower "Batteriewarnung Fenster KĆ¼che" <lowbattery> (gPowerAlarms) {channel="zwave:device:77ecbab9:node19:alarm_power"}

// Window_Office "Fenster BĆ¼ro"
Contact Window_Office "Fenster BĆ¼ro" <window> (gWindows, gContacts) {channel="zwave:device:77ecbab9:node42:sensor_door"}
Number Window_Office_battery "Batterie Fenster BĆ¼ro [%d]" <battery> (gBatteries) {channel="zwave:device:77ecbab9:node42:battery-level"}
Number:Temperature Window_Office_sensorTemperature "Temperatur Fenster BĆ¼ro [%d]" <temperature> (gDeviceStatuses) {expire="13h", channel="zwave:device:77ecbab9:node42:sensor_temperature"}
Switch Window_Office_alarmPower "Batteriewarnung Fenster BĆ¼ro" <lowbattery> (gPowerAlarms) {channel="zwave:device:77ecbab9:node42:alarm_power"}

ā€¦

You see the definition of one Group on top of the file and two nearly equal sensors. Item IDs are in English, but labels in German.

This is the template I used to generate it:

Group gWindows "Alle Fenster"

$windows : {
// Window_$it.id$ "Fenster $it.label$"

Contact Window_$it.id$ "Fenster $it.label$" <window> (gWindows, gContacts) {channel="$device$:$it.node$:sensor_door"}
Number Window_$it.id$_battery "Batterie Fenster $it.label$ [%d]" <battery> (gBatteries) {channel="$device$:$it.node$:battery-level"}
Number:Temperature Window_$it.id$_sensorTemperature "Temperatur Fenster $it.label$ [%d]" <temperature> (gDeviceStatuses) {expire="13h", channel="$device$:$it.node$:sensor_temperature"}
Switch Window_$it.id$_alarmPower "Batteriewarnung Fenster $it.label$" <lowbattery> (gPowerAlarms) {channel="$device$:$it.node$:alarm_power"}
}$

The data file looks like this. It only holds variable parts.

{
    "device" : "zwave:device:77ecbab9",
    "windows": [
        {
            "id": "Kitchen",
            "label": "KĆ¼che",
            "node": "node19"
        },
        {
            "id": "Office",
            "label": "BĆ¼ro",
            "node": "node42"
        }
    ]
}

Letā€™s have a deeper look at the template:

You see variables and logical statements are surrounded by $ signs.

The first one is $windows{ ā€¦ }$ . This defines an iteration over all elements of the array named ā€œwindowsā€ in the JSON file.

Next is $it.id$. $it is the current item of the iteration. Separated by a dot follows the name of the JSON sub-element holding the data. In this case it is ā€œidā€.

Congruously the next statement $it.label$ is the ā€œlabelā€ element of the iteration object.

$device$ does not reference an iteration object. So it gets replaced by the value of the ā€œdeviceā€ object outside of the window array, at the beginning of the file.

Now it should be clear what $it.node$ means :slightly_smiling_face:

As mentioned before the template language is very powerful. A use case Iā€™ve got is to add some Items to additional groups, but some windows must not be added to this group. So I added an additional field named groups to the data structure. Not all window definitions contains it. The data for one window like this looks like this:

{
            "id": "LivingroomRight",
            "label": "Wohnzimmer rechts",
            "node": "node24",
            "groups": "gWindows_Livingroom"
        },

I modified the first item definition in the template like this:

Contact Window_$it.id$ "Fenster $it.label$" <window> (gWindows, gContacts$if(it.groups)$, $it.groups$$endif$) {channel="$device$:$it.node$:sensor_door"}

The start of the optional part is marked as $if(it.groups)$ which means that the following part is only included when the data contains a value for the ā€œgroupsā€ attribute.

The end of the optional part is marked with $endif$. Everything in between is used as a template with all itā€™s template logic.

More about the template language can be found at https://www.stringtemplate.org/

Of course the template mechanism can not only be used to generate items. Sitemaps can be generated the same way or persistence configurations. Potentially you can combine the same JSON data file with different templates to generate separate types of target files. Attributes that are only required in one template, do hurt if they are not used in another one. They are simply ignored. So you can have a mix of data for both template in just one data file.

Template files have the file extension .st . Data files in JSON format usually have the extension .js.

In my OH conf directoryI created a subfolder named generator in parallel to the items and sitemap folder. Here I store all my templates and data files and a batch file that generates all target files and stores the directly to the correct OH conf directory. STST is a command line tool. stst -h lists all supported command line options.

For the example above the command line looks like this:

stst -o ../items/windows_generated.items windows_items.st windows.js

Using templates helps to meet your own naming conventions without typos and similar items are named in a similar way. This helps keeping overview and ensures generic coding (see Design Pattern: Associated Items)

While your OH system grows, the configurations need to be adapted from time to time. With the templates it is easy to change all scripted items in one go. Just modify the template and start the generator. So it totally makes sense to reimplement similar configurations using templates, even if you already have an working configuration written manually. Itā€™s so easy!

12 Likes

Excellent tutorial! I also already thought about creating some kind of config file generator myself, but the presented approach could be the solution.
Just one question: How do you maintain the data files? I would like to have the data stored in a kind of database, is this also possible?
Thank you very much for your contribution!

Hi vossivossi,

I myself just have JSON files.
StringTemplate is a Java framework. If youā€™re familiar with writing Java code, it should not be to hard, to write a small program, that reads data from each source you can connect to.
Take a look at https://www.stringtemplate.org

You could create the JSON in Excel or Libre Calc using a =CONCAT() ā€œformulaā€ or you could simply copy the table from your spreadsheet and past it into the input box of ā€˜Step 1ā€™ at csv-to-json. Below ā€˜Step 5ā€™ press the ā€˜Convert to JSONā€™ button.

If you like to try it, copy the following table into the input box of ā€˜Step 1ā€™ and press the ā€˜Convert to JSONā€™ button below ā€˜Step 5ā€™:

id label node
Kitchen KĆ¼che node19
Office BĆ¼ro node42

Will it work on sitemaps as well? I suspect youĀ“ll have to define each item type in sitemaps as well. Not always to you use the same type in items and in sitemapsā€¦ Like this:

.items

Switch    alarm_totalalarm     "IHC Total Alarm tilkoblet [%s]"       <switch>        (alarm)                                                                     { channel="ihc:controller:elko:alarm_total" }

.sitemap

sitemap alarm label="Alarm og bevƦgelsesensore"
{
	Frame label="Alarm" {

Text item=alarm_totalalarm
	}
}

Notice the type in items is Switch, but in sitemap I use it as Text.

Hi Kim,
you need two different templates. One to generate items and another one for the sitemap. The type Switch and Text are static part of the templates.

Your example might look like this:
File alarm.js

{
    "alarms": [
        {
            "id": "totalalarm",
            "label": "IHC Total Alarm tilkoblet",
            "node": "ihc:controller:elko:alarm_total"
        },
        {
            "id": "firealarm",
            "label": "Firealarm",
            "node": "ihc:fantasydevice:heat_alarm"
        }
    ]
}

File alarm_items.st:

$alarms : {
Switch alarm_$it.id$ "$it.label$ [%s]" <switch> (alarm) { channel="$it.node$" }
}$

File alarm_sitemap.st:

sitemap alarm label="Alarm og bevƦgelsesensore"
{
    Frame label="Alarm" {
$alarms: {
        Text item=alarm_$it.id$
}$
    }
}

(not tested!)

I think I understand. But I wonder if it saves any work using a template. Or is the template just meant to be use for making things the same (equal) ?

Hi Kim,

templates only make sense to generate lots of similar entries. Of course it does not make sense to create a template for each single individual item. The main goal is to reduce typing effort.

I bookmarked this the other day to look at. Could this be used for creating thing files from items (thinking of the effort of creating mqtt things/channels from existing items).

Hi psyciknz,

if you want to use STST the data have to be in JSON format. Theoretically you could use StringTemplate directly and write your own Java program to parse the items file, but I guess the effort for this is not justified.

If you have lots of similar items it makes more sense rewrite your items to be generated by templates and use the same data with another template to generate mqtt configuration. Creating a template just takes a view minutes when you know how the target file should look like.

I am not familiar with mqtt, so I canā€™t promise if itā€™s configuration can be generated. But the chances are not bad :thinking:.

Or use the rest apiā€¦ i just used your sample, like you I use zwave, and quite often add a new device where theres a bunch of common channels.

Hmm, I sense a playing session coming on.