IKEA Trådfri Gateway

I’ve got several remotes which are struggling to update. Maybe that it for me. I’ve tried deleting it, restarting, but it never appears in the inbox.

Check here for how to update your remotes.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give that a go.

All the remotes have now updated, thank you.

I still cannot make the gateway appear in inbox. I’ve set DEBUG on the binding and just getting alot of COAP errors.

Manually adding the gateway seems to set the pre shared key to my security code, and doesnt get an identity.

231 │ Active │ 80 │ 0.11.0.oh250M1 │ Eclipse SmartHome TRÅDFRI Binding

You might need to reset with a pin I’m afraid. A drag to re-pair everything though…
That is why I moved my devices to deconz.
Details here.

yeah i was hoping to avoid that. i’ll keep trying. There is an open issue on github at the moment, might wait to see what happens there.

Tradfri but not carefree.

the good news first, it is still green, online after 2 days :wink:
However, I see quite a few exceptions in the log, they seem to originate from a recurrent task scheduled for every minute. This task does not fail every minute, all ran fine for 10 hours and then exception on 13:00:19.260,13:01:19.340, 13:02:19.258 ,
… 13:08:19.272. Then all is fine for a while and then it fails again at the 19th second

2019-05-02 13:00:19.260 [ERROR] [alifornium.core.network.CoapEndpoint] - Exception in protocol stage thread: This is not a JSON Array.
java.lang.IllegalStateException: This is not a JSON Array.
        at com.google.gson.JsonElement.getAsJsonArray(JsonElement.java:106) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.tradfri.handler.TradfriGatewayHandler.onUpdate(TradfriGatewayHandler.java:304) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.tradfri.internal.TradfriCoapHandler.onLoad(TradfriCoapHandler.java:65) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.CoapClient$MessageObserverImpl.deliver(CoapClient.java:1016) ~[249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.CoapClient$MessageObserverImpl.succeeded(CoapClient.java:995) ~[249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.CoapClient$MessageObserverImpl.onResponse(CoapClient.java:974) ~[249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.coap.Request.setResponse(Request.java:509) ~[249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.network.EndpointManager$ClientMessageDeliverer.deliverResponse(EndpointManager.java:267) ~[249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.network.stack.CoapStack$StackTopAdapter.receiveResponse(CoapStack.java:193) ~[249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.network.stack.AbstractLayer.receiveResponse(AbstractLayer.java:98) ~[249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.network.stack.ObserveLayer.receiveResponse(ObserveLayer.java:137) ~[249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.network.stack.AbstractLayer.receiveResponse(AbstractLayer.java:98) ~[249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.network.stack.BlockwiseLayer.receiveResponse(BlockwiseLayer.java:321) ~[249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.network.stack.ReliabilityLayer.receiveResponse(ReliabilityLayer.java:269) ~[249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.network.stack.CoapStack.receiveResponse(CoapStack.java:135) ~[249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.network.CoapEndpoint$InboxImpl.receiveMessage(CoapEndpoint.java:656) ~[249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.network.CoapEndpoint$InboxImpl.access$700(CoapEndpoint.java:562) ~[249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.network.CoapEndpoint$InboxImpl$1.run(CoapEndpoint.java:574) ~[249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at org.eclipse.californium.core.network.CoapEndpoint$5.run(CoapEndpoint.java:721) [249:californium-osgi:1.0.6]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]

I searched the archives and found it mentioned once before in 2017

Things still seem to work. it just trashes the logs and openhab2 lags when it’s busy throwing exceptions.

So i’ve fired up an old instance of openhab i had nocking around on a pi before i migrated to a centos vm. Using this I got my old ID and preshared key. Used those on the new instance and I’m back online… for now! :slight_smile: Thanks all

Edit: I should add that it seems the root cause that started all this was remotes which refused to update. Pull the battery out for a few mins and try again. If the battery is low, change the battery. Resolved after a few hours of doing this. Then it was just getting my gateway back online, which I used the above method.

1 Like

Thanks,

Seems to be the case still, I tried out my first Trådfri today.

I saw that a PR was merged yesterday I think to support blinds.
When will that version be available to use?
(Without the need of installing the jar manually?)

There will be a new milestone release in the next couple of days. Probably tomorrow if everything works nicely.

2 Likes

Can someone help with a rule.
I have 3 led spot in the bathroom. 2 of them are connected to a remote, one of them to a move sensor.
The disadvantage of tradfri is that you can not ‘connect’ a lamp to 2 devices.

What i want, make a rule that if the 2 led change (brightness), the third one follows to the same value

can someone set up an example for me ?
many thanks in advance

Actually it is possible now to control a lamp from more devices. I have connected motion sensor and remote to multiple lights. Just go in the app. You may have to reset one of the two devices.

But how?, in the app i only can connect it to the one or the other.
I did it only yesterday evening.

Edit. And the next question. Because this is the reason why i do this. To avoid instant blindness. The led on the remote is on 10% brightness and the be used to use the toilet at night.

Can you ‘choose’ the brightness upfront when it’s be used by the sensor ?

In the app go to settings then lights and then on the three dots of a group, click “add steering device”.

Here is a screenshot (in german):

1 Like

Oke, thanks, will try this this evening.

Other questions:

Can i get a signal of the moving sensor in openhab ?.
Can i get an outlet off an steering device, so that it’s only to be used through openhab ?

Right now you cannot see the motion sensor or a button click on a remote in openhab. You will only see the light changing.

If you want the button clicks/motion etc directly, then you have to use the ZIGBEE binding with a dedicated zigbee bridge and you must connect all Tradfri devices to that bridge (and remove it from the Tradfri Gateway, which removes it from the IKEA app).

What is a good ZIgbee bridge for this ?

Supported coordinators: https://www.openhab.org/addons/bindings/zigbee/#supported-coordinators

I think the Zigbee binding developer primarily uses Ember- based coordinators.

I’m far from expert, just my 2c - I’m using https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/ on CC2531 for my tradfri (and any other zigbee) devices and been very happy. Since z2m introduced OTA fw updates for devices - don’t really see any reason for Ikea’s gateway and app.