Ikea Tradfri Zigbee Repeater - HANDLER_INITIALIZING_ERROR - No supported clusters found

Platform information:

• Hardware: Raspi 5, 4 GB (Raspian OS 12)
  • Docker / Portainer: 2.19.5
  • Attached Hardware: Amber Wireless AMB8465 (Wireless M-Bus for water & heat meter), Aeotec Z-Wave Gen5+ (for power meter), SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB_Dongle Plus V2 (for various Zigbee devices), HmIP-RFUSB (for RaspberryMatic)
  • openHAB Software: 4.1.1 Release Build, Persistence via InfluxDB
  • openHAB Bindings: Amazon Echo Control, Gardena, Homematic, MQTT, System Info, Yamaha Musiccast, Z-Wave, ZigBee, iRobot

My IKEA Tradfri Zigbee Repeater / Range Extender does show up when searching for it in the Zigbee Binding and can be added, but when added, shows up as HANDLER_INITIALIZING_ERROR No supported clusters found.

Various information on the device can be accessed, so I assume the device is somehow connected?

I read multiple Threads on this repeater (here, here and here), but have not really understood whether it can work with openHAB / the OH-Zigbee-Binding or not.

Also, is there a way to know whether the reapeater is working (even though it is listed as OFFLINE?

@Pedro_Liberal, you mentioned here that you got it to work. Does it also show up as OFFLINE on your end but work as intended?

Update: I just did a couple of tests. It is working, even though it’s shown as OFFLINE.

Which leads to the question: Is it intended that the device shows off as OFFLINE, which is a bit annoying when checking the overall status of Things.

If this is just a repeater, then I guess it has no channels - ie there’s no “real” user functionality. The binding detects the offline by checking the status of the device channels, so if this device doesn’t have any channels, then it will likely show offline.

I agree, this isn’t so nice, but for now it’s probably not going to change. I’m doing some binding refactoring so it’s something I could look at in the longer term.

Personally, I don’t recommend buying these repeaters. I’d recommend buying something like a plug-in socket - it’s basically the same thing, but is also useful :slight_smile:

This one is a USB-charger, so not completely uselss (I guess).

But you’re right: Which one do you recommend?

Ok, that’s fair. I’ve seen a lot that are basically just another brick in the wall :wink:

I’m not sure I’d give recommendations :slight_smile:

Most companies have them. There is an Ikea power outlet (obviously find the right one for your location :wink: ). I personally use ones from Philips - the main reason for that was I found I could either set the power on state, or it always reset to off if there was a power cut (I forget which, but I need them to come up off for my application).

And for clarity - all mains powered Zigbee devices will (or should!) act as a router.

Hi! As per the comment you linked, those plugs did work but like you’ve discovered yourself, something changed and now it seems like they aren’t playing nice anymore.
The l plug I now use is also linked in that same comment, but I believe it has also been phased out since then. At this point you’re probably better off in grabbing a bunch of zigbee, in wall, switch relay and that will get you a smart switch, and a zigbee repeater, while keeping your plugs available :slight_smile: (sonoff makes a few of them)

2 Likes

Does the repeater absolutely have to be where you currently have it for range extension? If not, you might want to instead consider what would be useful to your home automation while also serving as a repeater.

For example, I’m quite pleased with Sonoff’s new presence sensors. I use zigbee2mqtt, but I believe someone else has them working with the Zigbee binding. If you’ve had any thoughts about presence detection, then this could be a good opportunity to try it out while also extending your network.

For outlets, I’m quite happy with Third Reality’s outlets, but not sure if Third Reality sticks to the Zigbee standard.

2 Likes

You realize you’ve just started with a new wireless technology when very basic things are not yet clear to you. :wink: So thanks for the hint.

Though I’m tempted to say that the “should” is important: Is there a way to see (via the OH Zigbee-Binding?) whether a device acts as a repeater? The reason for asking: I have a perfectly placed Zigbee ceiling lamp, and am still puzzled why it needs the IKEA Tradfri plug as yet another repeater to help reach a device out in the yard.

The rule of thumb is that if it’s mains powered (though in my experience it’s more about the neutral connection) then it’s a repeater.
In zigbee2mqtt you get a handy map that you can look and immediately recognize if a zigbee device is a router or not, it’s super cool.
Or grab a bunch of those zigbee in wall light switches, and start adding them to your light switches. You get improved zigbee range and connected switches !

look under information for the thing
example this is my zigbee bulb.

Information
Generic ZigBee Device
zigbee_device_initialised
true
zigbee_datecode
zigbee_devices
[]
firmwareVersion
0x01001C04
zigbee_lastupdate
zigbee_powersources
[MAINS]
zigbee_logicaltype
ROUTER
zigbee_powersource
MAINS
vendor
Signify Netherlands B.V.
zigbee_neighbors
[{"joining":"UNKNOWN","address":"11041","depth":"15","lqi":"192","macaddress":"BXXXXXX4036XXX4D"},{"joining":"DISABLED","address":"29326","depth":"2","lqi":"75","macaddress":"00124B0029174203"},{"joining":"UNKNOWN","address":"61400","depth":"15","lqi":"142","macaddress":"A4C1387XXXXXX783"},{"joining":"UNKNOWN","address":"19899","depth":"15","lqi":"131","macaddress":"B0CE1814036CXX6E"},{"joining":"UNKNOWN","address":"32233","depth":"15","lqi":"65","macaddress":"B0CE181403XXX13"}]
zigbee_manufacturercode
0x100b
zigbee_powerlevel
FULL
zigbee_powermode
RECEIVER_ON_IDLE
hardwareVersion
zigbee_networkaddress
zigbee_zclversion
zigbee_routes
[{"next_hop":"32233","destination":"0","state":"ACTIVE"},{"next_hop":"19899","destination":"15910","state":"ACTIVE"},{"next_hop":"42614","destination":"7233","state":"ACTIVE"},{"next_hop":"11041","destination":"51133","state":"ACTIVE"},{"next_hop":"19899","destination":"19899","state":"ACTIVE"},{"next_hop":"61400","destination":"63534","state":"ACTIVE"},{"next_hop":"0","destination":"0","state":"INACTIVE"},{"next_hop":"2961","destination":"2961","state":"ACTIVE"},{"next_hop":"61400","destination":"34547","state":"ACTIVE"},{"next_hop":"19899","destination":"6703","state":"ACTIVE"},{"next_hop":"32233","destination":"32233","state":"ACTIVE"},{"next_hop":"11041","destination":"11041","state":"ACTIVE"},{"next_hop":"32233","destination":"11701","state":"ACTIVE"},{"next_hop":"19899","destination":"61400","state":"ACTIVE"}]
zigbee_stkcompliance
modelId
LWA029
zigbee_stkversion
zigbee_applicationVersion

all the info about that thing is present.

Generally 10 meters is MAX range and wall thickness as well as type of wall will greatly impact the range a device can be placed away from its next hop.

1 Like

Well, in theory, it’s WILL. The standards state that all mains powered devices must be routers, but sometimes companies don’t follow the standards. If you’re using a reputable company, and it’s a mains powered device, then it will be a repeater. Even most of the cheap Chinese devices follow this, but it’s always possible that something doesn’t…

So this means that if both “routes” and “neighbors” is empty, the device has a direct connection to the coordinator? Which is hardly impossible, since the device listed below does not work without a plug/repeater in between.

In the example you are showing the zigbee_logicaltype is a END_DEVICE
so no it will not list routes or neighbors.
just like this device
which happens to be a battery powered temperature sending device. but as you see its classified as a END_DEVICE not a ROUTER

Information
zigbee_powersource
RECHARGABLE_BATTERY
zigbee_logicaltype
END_DEVICE
vendor
eWeLink
zigbee_powerlevel
MEDIUM
zigbee_routes
[]
modelId
TH01
zigbee_manufacturercode
0x0000
zigbee_neighbors
[]
zigbee_device_initialised
true
zigbee_powersources
[RECHARGABLE_BATTERY]
hardwareVersion
zigbee_datecode
zigbee_networkaddress
zigbee_zclversion
zigbee_lastupdate
zigbee_stkcompliance
zigbee_powermode
RECEIVER_ON_PERIODICALLY
zigbee_applicationVersion
zigbee_devices
[]

So it does not present you with routing information.

Thanks. You’re right (I just checked), all my outlet-powered devices are classified as ROUTER.

What’s still strange is that my battery-powered devices in the yard (which don’t work with the Routers being active) don’t have any info under “neighbors” or “routes”, which is maybe an incomplete information unter “Things”.

you may be facing fringe edge signal challenges. You might try taking one of your smart plugs that is a router device and put it on an extension cord outside make sure you can still control it after you move it (turn it on and off a few times) and see if your none functional devices come on line.
Obviously just as a test do not leave a nonweather proof device outside :wink:
Edit; There are a lot of good articles on the web that explain how zigbee mesh networks function and may better help you understand all the nuances of zigbee networks.

1 Like

Battery powered devices are not routers - they are end devices. They are sleeping most of the time so cannot participate in network routing. An end device has a parent - it will ALWAYS send its data to the parent. The parent is a router, and the parent is responsible for managing the communications with the end device - it effectively acts as a proxy for the end device on the network while it’s sleeping.

Apologies, there was a typo in my post. It should read „What’s strange is that my battery-powered devices in the yard (which don’t work without the Routers in between being active) don’t have any info under “neighbors” or “routes”.

Right and circling all the way back to the earlier comments fully compliant mains powered devices are normally expected ('should") have ROUTER functionality and report ROUTER as zigbee_logicaltype but clearly the one you have posted seems to be some kind of one off or “non standard” since it is MAINS powered and identifies as an END_DEVICE. I have seen that in the past with some of the cheaper off brands too.

1 Like

It’s a battery device, so it should be an end device, but clearly the device is mis-reporting that it is mains powered. This doesn’t really matter as it shouldn’t be used for anything IIRC. It’s not uncommon for some of these lesser used attributes to be incorrect.

Edit: Sorry - I think we’re talking cross purposes. I was responding to the statement about “battery powered devices in the yard” where I think your comment was about an early post…

All good!
OP’s last screen shot showed a MAINS powered device that was a MODEL RODRET Dimmer and reported as being an END_DEVICE is what I was referring to.