Insteon (the company) is dead... can the hub be redirected?

I was curious what’s going on. I don’t have any Insteon stuff but with a company like this it’s always interesting to observe and plan for the future when something I do use goes under.

Anyway, I strongly recommend everyone monitor other sites in addition to openHAB for work arounds and other advice. There are lots of home automation forums out there and no one (as far as I can tell) is doing much to try and consolidate the wisdom of the crowds.

The most ironic thing about all of this is that the very first return when I searched for “Insteaon news” was a blog post from them entitled “Keeping the Lights On”. Unfortunately there’s no date on it and the posting is kind of vague. They could be talking about the COVID lockdown, change in company leadership, or the current outages.

Good luck everyone!

2 Likes

Just weighing in. My experience the same: red light on hub, unable to access account via the app, all Insteon forums dark, all support numbers disconnected.

Hope to hear something, one way or another, soon. Right now my house is stupid :sob:

1 Like

Same here. Solid red light. Tried all the troubleshooting steps. Called all the Insteon phone numbers. Tried to go to community forum. Dead. Dead. Dead. I’m screwed.

You should be able to do everything that you were doing with insteon app plus much more with openHAB. If you need to configure your devices, you can use insteon terminal

What is Insteon terminal communicating with? My hub? Each device directly? What device do I run the terminal on? A pc? My phone? Where can I find documentation for this?

Thanks.

You shouldn’t need to use insteon terminal unless you need to add/remove existing devices. See Need to Replace Insteon HUB with Open HAB - Need Consultation Services please! with my comments on how to use insteon with openHAB.

Once I have OpenHAB installed on a PC, will that restore my ability to control my devices from the Insteon app?

Following. I’m not a tech guy and Insteon was an easy install. With my hub down, I have no idea how to access several inline switches that were on sunset/sunrise routines. How does “OpenHAB” allow me to access the inline switches? Thank you in advance for the help. Every outlet/switch in our house is Insteon. BTW, I tried calling the toll-free and local 949 numbers for Smart Home and both are disconnected.

1 Like

Rob-I have Java and OpenHAB installed and running, using Java 11. I have added the Insteon binding. How do I configure the Bridge? I have a 2245 bridge. It is asking for the following information:
UniqueID
Label
Device Poll Interval
Additional Devices
Additional Features

I have tried using the INSTEON ID and the full MAC address as identified on the bottom of the hub. Neither seems to work. I know the port # from the bottom of the hub. However, I look in my router and I see that the Insteon Hub is not getting an IP address (169.254.254.254). I have tried multiple times to have it reset its network settings, but no success. Not sure what to do from here…

1 Like

Nothing much to add I’m afraid. Like other posters my hub went to solid red status about 24 hours ago (4/14/22 PM). I discovered it when I asked Alexa to turn a scene on. I tried all the troubleshooting tips, even a factory reset. I was sure it was me or my device. GRRRRRR. I have over 50 Insteon outlets, switches & sensors plus triggered events and scenes. Now I’m turning lights on 1 at a time unless I linked them. I also read about Nokia, but their website shows what may be a hub like controller isn’t even available yet. Some Google searches say Nokia probably won’t control Insteon devices initially either. I emailed them for grins, but I’m not optimistic. Really disappointed in this noncommunicated black out / shut down. Does anyone consider the customer anymore?? I’d even pay a monthly fee (the new norm) if that were an option. Yes, hoping someone far smarter than me will provide a solution and instructions that a lay person can implement. Bumbed in Baltimore :frowning:

1 Like

For the 2245, al you need to do is configure port with the following:

/hub2/my_user_name:my_password@192.168.1.100:25105

You will need to get the username and password from the bottom of the hub, and the IP address from your router.

Once you have correctly configured the hub, it will download the devices from the database on the hub and put them in the inbox. Then you can add the devices, but you will need to know the device type as described in the insteon binding documentation.

Same here. When running the diagnostics “2 rapid presses of the reset button, one second delay, and one more press” it will an through the 7 tests. I received the “double beep error” on #5.

Test 5: Active Remote Connection to Insteon Servers

So pretty much jives with what everyone is saying. Bummer. Have a whole house full of switches and outlets.

I have 59 devices that I have been controlling only with openHAB for a few years now.

Where do I type that command?

And as I said in a prior note, the hub is no longer picking up a dynamic IP and is set at 169.254.254.254.

Using the openhab UI, go to settings->things and press the + button in the lower right hand corner. Then select Insteon Binding->Insteon Network. You should see this page:

Port is where you enter the /hub2/… from above. As for IP address, I have no idea why it’s using a private ip address instead of a dynamic one from your router.

I have always just used the ISY hub. It is not cloud based, so I keep it all localized… it is some-what agnostic so you can other things other than Insteon in your home (I have a zwave door lock). So Insteon going under hasnt affected me. Other than I will have to find a new supplier for my hardware.

If I can’t get the insteon hub on my subnet, none of this is going to work.

Progress. What do I do next?

Now that I see 39 Things in my Inbox, how do I know what switch, outlet, Fanlinc, etc. each device is?

image001.jpg

image002.jpg