Insteon (the company) is dead... can the hub be redirected?

This simple action is you (the user) interacting with OH, so this will primarily happen through a User Interface (UI). Just creating an item does not mean it is available to all uses to interact with. Most OH setups will have dozens of items that are just for internal functions and not meant to be user controlled at all. OH does not have enough a prior information and will not make any assumptions about how you want to any particular item without a little more input from you.

Hence for regular users to just turn a switch on and off, youā€™re going to have give OH something else to work with. That could be defining the item as part of the semantic model so that it shows up on one of the autogenerated pages, adding a widget for the item to one of the MainUI pages or selecting one of the other available UIs and configuring the item to be available through that UI.

The one exception to this is that an administrative user (which you are since you are controlling the configuration of OH) can go to settings ā†’ items and choose the item details page for that item. Some items will have a default widget that lets you interact with the item on that item details page.
This is mostly for testing and not for every day use (you donā€™t want to have to go to a different page for every one of your items) and not available to any users not logged in as an administrator.

So, to change this action of switching the item from an inconvenient administrator action into the ā€œsimple everydayā€ action, you will need to learn about the different UIs and implement one.

Go back to http://localhost:8080

Click on Equipment along the bottom bar.

Find your Equipment, and get to the switch.

Youā€™d previously mentioned that youā€™d set up the Model properly, so the above assumes that. If not, you need to go to Settings ā†’ Items and find your Item SpaceSofaLights_Switch.

Ok, now its starting to make some sense. The UI appears to be the key to what Iā€™m trying to do.

Ok, making some progress. I found that if I go back to the Main login page, ie. localhost:8080, at the bottom of the screen are 4 tabs which include Locations and Equipment. By clicking on Locations I see the ones I created and a light bulb for The Space location. Clicking on that opens up a view that letā€™s me turn on/off the light!! If I click on the Equipment tab, it opens up to show me the collection of switches. And if I open the one associated with the type of switch in the SpaceSofa , then I can turn the light on or off from there too. Ok, making progress.

2 Likes

I have Alexa working with Insteon and openHAB.

1 Like

I think you may have misunderstood. The question that @jeshab was answering was:

As I interpret this question, @Don_Warga was asking if an Echo device can be substituted in place of an Insteon Hub. Some Echo smart speakers can be used to control Z-Wave and Zigbee devices, but they donā€™t have the proprietary technologies necessary to directly interface with Insteon devices. So, you canā€™t do that.

But if you can get your Insteon hub working with openHAB, you can use the Amazon Alexa Smart Home Skill (which @jeshab maintains) to control your Insteon devices with Alexa voice commands.

2 Likes

It looks as if for most people, enen though insteon servers are down, Insteon devices can still be operated remotely through OH. Unfortunately, NOT FOR ME!! None of my numerous Insteon switches or my Insteon thermostat is any longer responding to my OH commands.

It looks as if the problem is that OH is unable to get a login into the insteon Hub (2245-222).My ā€œInsteon networkā€ thing is offline and reports the following:

Initialization failed, unable to start the Insteon bridge with the port
ā€˜/hub2/myusername:mypassword@192.168.2.230:25105ā€™

I suppose there is a simple way to fix that. How can I do that?

Problem resolved: I changed the Insteon hub credentials in OH to the factory credentials of my hub and it worked: the hub went online again (but the hub light remains red).

So having found out how to turn on/off the switches from the main openHAB UI on my laptop, Iā€™d like to be able to do it from my iPhone. I donā€™t need/want to be able to connect to the Hub off premises, but just be able to control the lights from my phone when Iā€™m home. I know thereā€™s an App for openHAB which I have downloaded, but donā€™t know what to do now.

Is Homekit the way to go?

Iā€™ve installed openHAB in a folder on the Desktop on a Mac Laptop. And its been working fine. However, since its a laptop I donā€™t leave the laptop running all the time. So I was thinking of moving this over to a Mac Mini that runs all the time. Would that be the way to go? How do I do this? Is there a way to backup what Iā€™ve created so far, or is it all in the folders/files that are in the installation folder that was created when I installed openHAB. If so, can I just copy that and move it over to the Mac Mini, or does it have to be re-configured.

Thanks.

MainUI is a web based interface. You can install the app or you can bring up the interface through a browser on the phone.

A Raspberry Pi running openHABian would probably be cheaper.

If going from one Mac to another, make sure the new one has the prerequisites installed and configured and copy openHAB over to the new machine.

There is a backup.sh script in $OH_HOME/runtime/bin that will create a zip file with all the configs youā€™ve made. That file can be restored via the restore.sh script on the new machine.

It is indeed all in the installation folder but openHAB does not install the same way on all operating systems. On Mac it follows the ā€œmanualā€ process, meaning openHAB really isnā€™t installed like other software would be installed. If you are going from like OS to like OS, you can copy the installation folder. If going to a different OS, youā€™ll want to use backup and restore scripts to only copy over the configs and not the program itself.

Great info. Thanks.

I installed openHAB on my iPad, and turned off Demo mode, and configured it to find my openHAB on the Mac Laptop where Iā€™m initially designing it, and it links to the URL and can connect with my username and password, but it says it canā€™t find any Sitemaps. It says it returns an Empty Sitemap List. So Iā€™ve been reading the documentation, but I canā€™t figure out how to create the Sitemap. My Overview page is blank, but I do have icons that function properly in the other tabs, ie. Locations, Equipment, and Properties. Can I create this automatically or am I going to have to enter code to create a Sitemap. Thanks.

In MainUI, itā€™s one of the options when you go to Pages and click the Add button at the bottom right.

The documentation hasnā€™t been updated for MainUI, but the concepts should still hold up.

Note that this is off-topic from the thread. If you have further questions that arenā€™t direct to Insteonā€™s hub, you should search for help (Iā€™ve definitely seen this question answered :wink: ) and then post a new topic.

Thanks!! Got it and its working perfectly on my iPad. I created the Sitemap as you suggested, and then inserted Text Widgets to ID what the rooms were, and inside each of the Text Widgets, I added Item Widgets for each of the switches that were located in that room. I guess the only thing I might like to do is to change the order of those Text Widgets/switches, just to be a little more logical. Is there a way to change their display order without having to remove them and re-enter them? Thanks.

Will do.