Here is what I would like to achieve:
- Image update every 15mins. 1 image is enough.
- Image update on manual activation of switch. 1 image is enough
- Image update every 10sec or so while monitoring garage door movement for a duration of no longer than 2mins. 1 image every 10sec is enough. Triggered by a rule on activation of door sensor
- Limit network traffic to the absolute minimum but maintain a good image quality.
- I don’t need live streaming nor frequent image updates
- Fast image update when when requested
- Access via local network and outside local network. If I have to I can use a VPN but I would rather not most of the time.
Previously I achieved all of the above using a poll of 15mins plus the image update now channel with expire automatically limiting the switch ON state to 1 sec.
This doesn’t work for the new version of the binding.
From what I discovered so far with the new binding:
Its possible to get an immediate image update but I now need more frequent polling and a the ‘get image update’ switch on long enough for a 5th image eg polling of 1 sec with image update on for 5sec using expire to set it to off automatically. The image update every 10sec triggered by a Rule is also possible.
Or I can get an image update every 15mins by setting the polling frequency to 180sec and every 5x180s = 15mins the image is updated as long as the ‘image update now’ switch is set to ON. ie permanently
It seems I can’t do both of the above unless I use two things for the same camera. Is that possible?
Am I missing something here, another approach for example ?
If stress on the openHAB cloud server needs to be reduced then couldn’t this also be achieved by limiting the amount of images updated in given interval rather than limiting it to every 5th image as it is. Say max continuous image update interval of 1sec with min polling frequency 1sec. ie one image per ON/OFF toggle of the image update switch. Then it would as before and also there would be no need for me to use the expire 1s OFF as I do it.
I am sorry if I am talking rubbish… I am just trying to adapt what I had before and working very well to the new binding. I think what I had was using very little bandwidth but gave me the images I needed to check on things. As I said I don’t use openHAB for live streaming but only as quick check all is well. If I see in the images something that is is of concern then I use another dedicated app and VPN for live streaming.
I got it working as I want with:
Poll_Camera_MS 200 in the camera Thing plus for the update image item switch
For the 15min regular update interval I used a rule triggered by a 15m expire timer switch.
So, the net effect of the new binding poll camera for me is I changed from 15mins to 200ms polling! Its still only a 1 image update in 1 sec due to the 5th image restriction.