Item Type: Number or Decimal

I just included the Aeotec doorbell (gen5) on my network. I configured its Switch channel, then I see this:
As you can see, the other 2 channels (Volume and Repititions [sic]) are of type “Decimal”.

When I try to add a new Item to link to the Volume channel, I get the following prompt, which seems like it’s working:
but when I click “Link” I see the following message in my logs:

[WARN ] [thome.io.rest.core.item.ItemResource] - Received HTTP PUT request at 'items/ZWaveNode7ZW056Doorbell_Parameter' with an invalid item type 'Decimal'.

This is just a warning, but the new Item is not created as a result. There were no other Types available to choose from in the previous drop-down. Decimal is the only one available.

If I try to create a new Item manually, “Decimal” is not presented as an option in the list of Types:
(yes, I can scroll down, but “Decimal” isn’t down there).

What’s going on here? Is the channel configured incorrectly in the database? That seems unlikely since I think a lot of people are using this device. Is my OpenHAB2 setup missing a Type definition it should have?

Just to make sure I’m providing all the info I can, I’m also seeing the following error in my logs, and I’m not sure if it’s related:

[WARN ] [io.rest.core.thing.ThingTypeResource] - Cannot find channel type: zwave:aeon_zw056_00_000_config_decimal_param6

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Did you try a Number Item?

I did:
but when I try to link it to the Decimal channel:
It doesn’t show up, since only a Decimal Item would show up.

OK, I’m going to guess that the database entry for this Item is messed up. At a minimum, the Repetitions needs to be corrected, and seeing that error points at other errors being possible.

This is a link to the doorbell:

http://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/263

I’m really no expert here on what could be wrong or how to fix it though. @chris, when you get back can you take a look?

So I hope you’re right @rlkoshak because it would mean my deployment is fine, but I’m not convinced. I did a search on the OpenHAB repo on GitHub, and there are a bunch (370) bindings of type DecimalType. You can see them here:

That makes me think maybe I should have a DecimalType available in my Items listing. Can you see if you are able to create Items of type Decimal?

As can be read here
http://docs.openhab.org/concepts/items.html
Number Items accept DecimalType commands/values.
There is clearly no Decimal Item.

Thanks @hmerk, so what does this mean? Should I be able to create an Item of type Number and link it to these channels that are of type Decimal? Maybe it’s just user error?

Be careful not to confuse items and types and internal zwave states. The search you did above is for an internal ZWave conversion and is only looking at the command class links and the conversion to types - not items.

The channel config does look wrong so I’ll need to fix this, but I don’t think that the system uses the item type (maybe it’s been recently added though and that’s what’s causing the problem). I know many people have used this channel in the past, so it at least used to work with this error…

I just got one of these today and I’m experiencing the exact same problems as originally posted in this thread. Was able to get it to work by changing the database thing file, but definitely not confident I’ve got the syntax correct - especially since I’m seeing things like this in the log:

2018-07-05 22:17:52.560 [WARN ] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 16: Invalid item type defined (DecimalType). Assuming DecimalType
2018-07-05 22:17:52.561 [WARN ] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 16: Invalid item type defined (DecimalType). Assuming DecimalType
2018-07-05 22:17:52.562 [WARN ] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 16: Invalid item type defined (DecimalType). Assuming DecimalType
2018-07-05 22:17:52.563 [WARN ] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 16: Invalid item type defined (DecimalType). Assuming DecimalType
2018-07-05 22:17:52.566 [WARN ] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 16: Invalid item type defined (DecimalType). Assuming DecimalType
2018-07-05 22:18:34.004 [WARN ] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 12: Invalid item type defined (DecimalType). Assuming DecimalType

And I’m unable to deduce why other database entries with DecimalTypes seem to work fine e.g. MIMOlite, which has a DecimalType seems to automatically get converted to Number type

Node 16 is the ZW056 and Node 12 is an EzMultiPli

Here’s the xml file I modifiedzw056_0_0.xml (15.0 KB)
:

I don’t understand how this can work - you’ve changed this XML file to use an unknown enum (NumberType).

As far as I’m aware, the configuration channel generally works fine, but as you’ve now got this discussion in 3 threads I’ll concentrate on another one that you started.

At one point I think I had this fully working, but if it was with the version attached to this thread, maybe it’s because of the code that automatically assumes DecimalType if the type is unknown (v2.3.0 ZWaveThingHandler.java lines 226-232). If it helps, I could go back and confirm.

Sorry about spreading this among multiple threads. In the future I’ll post in the main thread on Z-wave binding.

FYI, I have been deleting my things and xml files.

I don’t think it helps at this point. As mentioned in another thread, the 3 channels that don’t work are not exported from the database - until this is resolved, it will not work.

So I’m getting this error with newly installed Fibaro Dimmer 2 (FGD212)when I try to link the Force initial Brightness item,

Received HTTP PUT request at 'items/KitchenTableLight_ForceInitialBrightness' with an invalid item type 'Decimal