JSONDB items to textual config

I made a small tool which can convert JSONDB items into textual config items: JSON2Config

3 Likes

Why not use the REST API as a basis?

Correct me if iā€™m wrong, but the REST API returns all Items - including the ones already present in textual config files. Itā€™s intended to just convert the items from the JSONDB.

I thought they were all present in JSONDb too but I could be wrong.

Your not wrong :smile:.
All items are stored in org.eclipse.smarthome.core.items.Item.json, no matter how they are defined.
I, for example, use only .items files currently (waiting for OH3 to switchā€¦), and they all show up in the ā€˜databaseā€™ as well.

1 Like

OK, what is the purpose of this then?

Major point of doing this I would see in making a versioned configuration in a file which fits into SCM.

To be fair I was thinking about similar functionality as my laziness is telling me that I do not want to write by hand results of discovery just to have a full control over cfg.

Good job @voruti!

1 Like

Perfect timing.

Iā€™ve got an issue wth something, somewhere that is causing my OH2 to restart erratically.

So Iā€™m going to export everything.

Wipe the whole machine and start again.
(I want to swap OS anyway)

Thanks for taking the time to create this.

1 Like

Have you checked for invalid addons in addons.config? That causes addons to reload every minute.

Thanks Bruce

I hadnā€™t, but I will.

Something causes a problem very randomly.

Iā€™m leaning towards it being the HEOS or ChromeCast bindingā€¦
But after playing with the settings for over 2 weeks, I think a complete wipe is the order of the day.
As the same core configuration has been running since the 2.3.x days

Are we talking about the same configuration file sftp://openhabian:@openhabianpi.fritz.box/var/lib/openhab2/jsondb/org.eclipse.smarthome.core.items.Item.json (in my setup)?
Before I converted them; the items in this file were only those, which I created with PaperUI, not the ones from the .items files.
In the .items files for example I created a group for every room in the house. These do not show up in the JSONDB.

My badā€¦ I had a quick look at the jsondb file and saw a lot of Items. I never used PaperUI, so I jumped to the conclusion that the items are mirrored there.
However, I forgot that I recently started creating a lot of Items dynamically (in Jython rules/scripts). And that are the ones that show up in the json db file, not the ā€˜staticā€™ ones in .items files.
Sorry for the confusionā€¦ :innocent:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.