KNX Things remain offline | First try with OH3 and KNX

Hello community

I did my very first installation with OH3 and knx.
The KNX Gateway is a Gira X1 “SmartHome” Server.
As its a fresh installation, I’ve decided to use mainly the GUI to configure OpenHAB.

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: RPI3
    • openHAB version: OH3.1

I managed to get the Gateway online, this is the YAML (copied from the GUI)

UID: knx:ip:4d1896dff8
label: Gira X1
thingTypeUID: knx:ip
configuration:
  useNAT: false
  readRetriesLimit: 3
  ipAddress: 10.0.0.xxx
  autoReconnectPeriod: 60
  localIp: 10.0.0.x
  type: TUNNEL
  localSourceAddr: 1.2.18
  readingPause: 50
  portNumber: 3671
  responseTimeout: 10

But the KNX Things remain offline:

YAML File (copied from GUI):
UID: knx:device:4d1896dff8:49b286b2ff
label: knx_switch
thingTypeUID: knx:device
configuration:
  pingInterval: 600
  address: 1.2.2
  readInterval: 0
  fetch: false
bridgeUID: knx:ip:4d1896dff8

The standard-log shows the following:

08:36:08.234 [INFO ] [hab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘knx:ip:4d1896dff8’ changed from UNKNOWN to ONLINE
08:36:08.242 [INFO ] [hab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘knx:device:4d1896dff8:49b286b2ff’ changed from OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE) to UNKNOWN
08:36:08.245 [INFO ] [hab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘knx:device:4d1896dff8:dc180d462a’ changed from OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE) to UNKNOWN
08:36:08.248 [INFO ] [hab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘knx:device:4d1896dff8:d3b39d30d2’ changed from OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE) to UNKNOWN
08:36:21.375 [INFO ] [hab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘knx:device:4d1896dff8:49b286b2ff’ changed from UNKNOWN to OFFLINE
08:36:33.511 [INFO ] [hab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘knx:device:4d1896dff8:dc180d462a’ changed from UNKNOWN to OFFLINE
08:36:45.648 [INFO ] [hab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘knx:device:4d1896dff8:d3b39d30d2’ changed from UNKNOWN to OFFLINE

Do you have any advices to check, reconfigure or investigate?

Thanks in advance!

BR, Michi

Hi Michi,
I have two IP interfaces installed so I gave it a try, works fine for me, both for the Weinzierl 730 and the MDT Interface.

• Did you set the “local network address” to the IP address of your OH server ?
  • Try with “local device address” as 0.0.0 in your interface.
    If I use the actual device address (localSourceAddr) of the Interface I can reproduce the behaviour you described

Regards,
Thomas

Hello Thomas

Thank you for your very fast and solving response.
Changing the “local device address” to 0.0.0 was the trick:

Again: Thank you.

BR, Michael

You’re welcome :grinning:

Hi Michi,

if I set the “local device address” as 0.0.0 I’ll get an error.
When I use a free device-address or the one of the Weinzierl IP 730 the Gateway is online.
But all KNX devices still remain offline…?

OH 3.4 in use on a Raspi.
Do you have a hint for me, as well?

regards,
Bernd

Hi Bernd,

Set the local address to 0.0.0. Do not change this, its the way it works. If you get an error please provide details on it.

The Weinzierl gateway (similar to other gateways) allocates multiple IP adresses to access itself (I think it is 4 or 5, please consult the device manual on how this can be configured).
Depending on you infrastructure and configuration the IP address you are trying to connect to is already occupied by another application or appliance.
If this is the case not connection to the bus is accessible for OH and all devices stay offline from OHs point of view, so choose another valid one. Afaik you see them in the ETS configuration of the device.

Besides that kindly provide the code of the gateway you configured, otherwise it is just lucky guessing for people around her.

Below my config for a Weinzierl 730. a.b.c.d is the IP Address of the gateway, w.x.y.z the IP address of the OH server. Works like a charm, just replae the values with the ones matching your setup.

UID: knx:ip:IPGateway
label: KNX/IP Gateway Weinzierl 730
configuration:
  ipAddress: a.b.c.d
  localIp: w.x.y.z
  localSourceAddr: 0.0.0

Uppps, Hi Thomas,

looks like my config…

Or… config like this…

UID: knx:ip:6f6aeb3c5a
label: KNX/IP Gateway
configuration:
  ipAddress: 192.168.xx.zz
  localIp: 192.168.xx.yy

okay found it… strange because the web-form shows 0.0.0. !!
Thx anyway, very much!