Looking for the best z-wave controller for Raspberry Pi 4

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2
    • openHAB version: 3.4.2

I am looking for the best possible z-wave controller for my PRi4
My AEOTEC Gen5 is not being recognised without hub

Alternative i found:

Who has experience with those? I am looking for a good stable z-wave controller for OH3 and (OH4?)
thx

Working here since seven years without any problems.

OH does not support Zwave 7 controllers.

Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5+

What’s wrong with getting a hub? It’ll cost less than a new Z-Wave controller and avoid the hassle of excluding/including all of your devices.

If you don’t want a hub, I believe a USB2 extension cable will also work. However, I’m not 100% sure of that. Manufacturers used to throw in short extensions (3-6 inches) with fat USB dongles. Maybe you have one buried in a drawer that you can try?

My RPi 4 is powered over internet with POE Hat. This might cause issues with less power required for USB. Is you UZB working on a Pi supplied like that?

It is an additional device. Let me try strengthen the supply and check if device will be recognised

No.

I’d be surprised if that changes anything. The known issue with these particular sticks is that the RPi4 attempts to communicate with them as USB3 devices and fails. That’s why a USB2 hub is considered to be a quick and reliable solution.

EDIT: I see now that this is an offshoot from another discussion. I’d forgotten about the resistor hack.

do you I need to use z-way binding?

No, you may use the zwave binding.

and the last question. I live in a 3 floor house. The server is in a basement. Do you think the small UZB will manage the distance between z-wave nodes?
I just found these:

would you consider these if you had to choose the controller again?

Distance is never an issue as the zwave network will build a mesh network with all mains powered devices.
You just have to buy enough mains powered devices and place them accordingly.

As already said before: openHAB does not support 700 series controllers

ups. thanks for the warning again.
I found these two:

is it worth to invest in the one with z-way controller SW on it?

If you want to use the z-way binding, you will need a license which is included in the expensive uzb controller.
If you want to use the zwave binding, you can stick to the cheaper one.

There is a limit to the number of hops from Z-Wave controller to Z-Wave device: IIRC 4 hops.

I don’t think a private house will be that big.

Controller in basement, device on the 3rd floor, no way to define routes manually: might be a problem (connectivity and/or latency). Solution would be obvious: Place the controller on the 1st or 2nd floor …

The reason for keeping the controller in basement is a common server place supported by Power Backup UPs. At the moment with the bigger Aeotec USB controller it works. I have 35 z-wave nodes on different floors. At each floor there is at least one powered node with 230V (Shutter controller from FIBARO) what i believe makes the signal stronger.

What additional value brings this z-way software exactly in compression to OpenHAB? I am not a professional who understands the z-wave protocol itself but if this will help me to configure my network more stable and reliable or faster maybe it is worth to invest?