Low-power Z-Wave switch with two outputs needed

Hi, I want to automate a sunshade canvas blind from Weinor. They use ELDAT components, though I am not sure they haven’t added something proprietary. Besides controlling the blinds, I also want to turn on/off the integrated light. Currently I am using a remote control for this and I would like to use this 868MHz frequency instead of replacing the controllers IN the blind.

I have ordered a remote control module from Eldat (4K RTS03, battery powered) with 4 channels. Now I want to connect a Z-Wave switch, which should be powered by a 12v power supply. I have tried the Fibaro universal sensor, which offers two outputs - unfortunately these are not Z-Wave controlled.

Any other idea?

Regards, Dieter

Err, I don’t think anyone will understand from this description how you’re trying to operate your blinds.
The common method would be to get a zwave actuator such as the Fibaro FGRM and attach it to the motor.
If your question reduces to ‘I want a zwave 12V switch’, then get a Fibaro FGRGBW, it’ll run on 12VDC and pass this to its outputs, too.

The switch should not pass any voltage to the remote control board - it should just close a circuit. So the switch could also run on a battery. As I said, I don´t want to switch the actuators as I want to be able to use the existing remote control further on, parallel to a new Z-Wave operated remote control board. Hope this clarifies my idea.

a problem you may run into would be that without adding some way of knowing the state of the shade, if you use the remote, the zwave contacts wont know what state the blind is in. you really should do away with the remote, and control only via openhab, that way you always know the state of the blind compared to the zwave device. there are zwave motor controllers and loke said before, the rgbw controller.

There’s no Zwave switches to run on battery.
As @Branden_Smale explained, that’s no good idea anyway. Dump your idea to keep your remote. Once you have your blinds controlled via zwave (or other) actuator and openHAB, there’s gazillions of possibilities how to replace your remote’s functionality. For example, I have a Düwi (zwave) remote control to (also) control my roller shutters (and lights and more), plus a physical switch, plus my smartphone, plus plus plus.
Just make sure the device to control the motor is keeping track of opening state. Overall, an actuator to do that for you (any Arudino, ESP8266 or other won’t) is a good idea.

I know we are speaking zwave here, but if you are not wanting to replace the actuator, i get that…there are other control options such as mqtt via esp8266 relay board. personally im using a wifi relay board and tcp to close contacts for my projection screen, though im considering going the mqtt route, just have no experience with it quite yet…though from what I’ve read, its quite easy.

you can if you really want keep your remote control for future use, but will have to impliment some way of sensing the state (open / closed) with sensors or limit switches so openhab can read whats going on. this just seems to me a much bumpier route to take. i suggest the KISS method…in case you dont know what that is…keep it simple stupid…im not saying you are stupid, just that keeping it simple, simplifies your installation, as well as makes troubleshooting much easier. openhab is very stable, so should be no worries.

another thing with utilizing some technology that “talks” with openhab would allow for you to write rules to automate your shade, say based on weather or sun azimuth via the astro binding, truely limitless functionalities.

one more note, persist your data so openhab knows what state its in on restart, just in case. @rlkoshak has very good examples to follow.

Thanks Branden, I think I will try esp8266.

That should work fine.
If you don’t like to do a lot of soldering you might take a look at the Tinkerforge system:
https://www.tinkerforge.com/en/shop/kits/starter-kit-hardware-hacking.html
A relay is soldered to the original remote and controlled via Tinkerforge binding from openHAB.

Summer is on its way, so I may start now with the project. However, I think I may have identified an easier solution. I may just use the GPIO’s of my Raspberry running openHab to switch the remote control module on and off. Should work fine with the GPIO-binding, don’t you think?

Regards, Dieter

If you have a good wifi coverage that should work, I guess :slight_smile:

Some people have had problems with the GPIO binding, particularly going high or low when the Pi restarts causing things to trigger. Read the GPIO threads on this forum for details.

1 Like