Max! Cube loses all settings with OpenHab

I only ever encountered the problem when using non exclusive mode.
Running with 1 sec and exclusive now (need it that quick because I use the window sensors as generic reed contacts), I have not experienced any corruption problems (knock on wood …). But exclusive it needs to be, I also got hit by that various times before.

Tell please, how long does it works without problems on this polling?
I want to use window sensors on door because i can not choose anything better.

Some months. I really believe it’s the non-exclusive mode to cause problems.

Marcel, is it a mistake?

If it is Exclusive, that means that Binding will not leave connection open (it will keep it close to others), so that another devices can not connect it. :sunglasses: In case it is so!
Or i do not understrand somethning in this life? :roll_eyes:

I admit[quote=“thisisIO, post:124, topic:8537”]
If it is Exclusive, that means that Binding will not leave connection open (it will keep it close to others), so that another devices can not connect it. :sunglasses: In case it is so!
Or i do not understrand somethning in this life? :roll_eyes:
[/quote]

it is open in the sense that the connection is not closed after each message.
I admit the wording is not so clear :slight_smile: :sunglasses: In exclusive mode, the connection indeed is maintained (to be precise, for 1000 refreshes, than closing & reopening it)

1 Like

marcel, please tell how to set ECO temperature on thermostate?

or at least to get it and post it to item?

Thanks!

I’m not aware of any specific command to set them into ECO mode. It is used when you link an eco switch or window sensor to the device.

As far as I know you just need to send your ECO temp to each thermostat.

1 Like

Made a first attempt to backup the cube data to file, so maybe in a later stage a restore feature can be implemented.

3 Likes

So can i get (read) this temperature in rule?

Wow!!!
Realy petfekt news!!

Waiting for restore and we ca forget about “forgets” of Cube)))

How can we use this backup? We have to update max binding or?

I came across this tool that claims to be able to backup a maxcube. Please try for yourself, I can’t share any experiences yet.

1 Like

I’ve tested it (MAX! HOME AUTOMATION) about 4 weeks ago. It’s a good tool, where backups and restores are possible. But I’ve only tested backup so far. Luckily no restores were neccessary so far. It also has much more features than official eQ-3 Software (which is btw the lousiest software I’ve ever used).

Tried it. Didn’t have the “lost config” case so can’t say if it helps there. In my scenario I had to factory reset the maxcube and after that you can use the tool to import but it seems you need to pair every device again (which is the major part of the work).

@marcel_verpaalen Good morning,

last year I was writing that I have troubles with my Cube to forget the configuration from time to time. At the end I thought that the problem can not be solved and that I just have to reconfigure it everytime this happens.

Last year (during the summer) I changed the provider of my internet connection (+ changed the router). And from that time I did not experience the cube to have this issue. Maybe it is somehow related to the stability of the internet connection? Last provider had huge stability problems. It could be an answer why someone experiences these issues while the other did not see that in the cube lifetime…

Hello Lukas - these is a known Problem with the Cube… Nobody knwo why and when these Problem comes to the Cube… If you google in German Foren “Cube Alzheimer” you find at Fehm Forum some Theory´s about the Problem … but you´ll find no Fix…

A working solution is to Flash the Nanocul Software on your Cube and set your Theromostats with the OH Max Cul Binding… or with Homegear / max-families and if you want you can control these with homematic Binding… At Homergear you are ebale to Configure the Thermostats via a Grahiphcal Heating Plans… Also it is possible to control the max! devices over mqtt with homegear…

And then the cube does not forget the settings anymore?

If you flash the Nano Cul Firmware (these is a way of no return! you can´r backup the Cube´s original Firmware) Your Cube act as a Nano Cul… All settings you have to set over a Smarthome Installation e.g. obpenhab, homegear, or fehm etc…

The Solution with Homegear and Openhab at the moment seems the practiable…

I am not sure whether I wrote it clearly. I tried to say that it looks like my cube has “recovered” together with the stable internet connection… Because it works so far I am not going to flash it.
So far there was no one that told that he has troubles and after some action it “recovered” itself. Wanted to update on my last experience I wrote about in January 2019.

I use the cube without Internet/portal so it’s probably unrelated.
It’s still unknown what’s causing the problem, but it does not seem to happen when you use exclusive mode in the binding. This is ensuring there can be no race condition or similar.
It also means you always need to switch the binding off before you can use the MAX! client software.

I ‘enjoyed’ now also for the first time memory loss on my cube…

interestingly the powersupply was dying. So could be something power related as well. Though as @mstormi indicated, by best guess is some sort of race condition as it appears to happen most frequent with folks that have either the non-exclusive or very high refresh rates