Miele Cloud-binding

@BoernLange, I just added my new Dishwasher to my OH configuration which works well.
I’m wondering why the “power_state_on_off” channel is using “off”/“on” in lower case. This seems not to work with a “oh-toggle-item” in OH-Pages. As far as I can see the toggle-item sends commands “OFF”/“ON” in upper case which will not be correctly interpreted.

Or is there a possibility to change the toggle-item values which are sent to the item?

I like the idea of those options as they are set and forget. Currently I have to use the Miele App to set the program and then set a delay before OpenHAB can take over whereas with my old dumb dishwasher I just needed to close the door and a OpenHAB powered relay contact across the start switch did the rest.
Isn’t one of the points of OH to combine everything into a single system?

This channel should be changed to a Switch channel (it’s currently String). The name is also strange, probably “power” would have been better. You could create a GitHub issue for this.

The Miele API’s are quite limited in terms of functionality, so I’m not sure it’s possible to do what you are asking for. Perhaps you can explain in more details what you would like, i.e. what will you do on the appliance, and what do you expect openHAB to do?

See also https://www.miele.com/developer/assets/API_V1.x.x_capabilities_by_device.pdf

In an ideal situation I’d like the appliance to receive from OH a “Power On” command, followed by a “use this program with these options command,” followed by “Start”
I have a Miele Dishwasher and Miele Dryer that I would like to use this way when I have spare PV or the cheapest power

I’m not sure about the cloud API, but I don’t think it’s possible to turn on the appliance when it’s off. Additionally, you cannot send the program info to the appliance, unless it’s on and you have selected “MobileControl” on it. Even Miele’s app requires that. And still you cannot do that, since this AFAIK is part of a closed API, so the Miele app can do this, but the cloud API cannot. The last part, “Start” is probably the only thing possible.

Related to this topic: Dishwasher price calculation automation

So the work-around for all this is to turn it on, program it to end at the latest acceptable time to you, and then let openHAB override the start time based on the best price.

@laursen, yes you are right, that should be a “Switch” channel and maybe the “start/stop” channel too.
I was able to work around it using a list item with action “toggle item”.

@kevin, In my case I’m able to power on my dishwasher from Openhab. However in this state it is impossible to start the (default) selected ECO program. This seems only to be possible if you activate “SmartStart” on the appliance directly.
If you want to use PV or cheapest power, why not just preconfigure the program and SmartStart i.e. in the morning on the appliance and let Openhab start the program later when there is enough PV? That’s what I’m going to do.

It is not a switch channel to be consistent with the program_start_stop and program_start_stop_pause channels.

A switch can be simulated using rules and an item that is not attached to a channel. Another option is to add a new channel to the binding with the same behavior but of type switch. In my opinion the type of the existing channel shouldn’t be changed because it would break rules using it.

I agree. We should add a new Switch channel of type system.power with the name power which will be compliant and not collide with existing channels. The existing power_state_on_off channel should be deprecated. I’m not sure if:

will make it possible to migrate it. Otherwise it could be checked if it’s linked to any items, and we could then:

• Log a warning if linked, and refer to the new channel.
  • Dynamically remove the channel if not linked.

You can’t migrate (because there is no way to adjust links), but you can remove the old channel and add the new channel. This will make it less disruptive for users because all they have to do is re-link, not re-create the thing.

1 Like

This is definitely possible. I will add two new channels for this to the binding shortly. For documentation purposes I added a feature request on Github.

2 Likes

@BoernLange, great, many thanks for the info.

I’m using my new smart dishwasher for about one month now. It works great so far.
Regarding the “active program” and smart start, I noticed the following:

If I for example choose “QuickPowerWash” and let openhab start the dishwasher when I have enough PV-Power, as soon as it is started, the “active program” switches to “ECO”. However, the dishwasher runs on “QuickPowerWash” as I wanted. It seems to be a display error.

Anyone else experienced the same behaviour?

Hi, is there a backport (3.4.x) for the merged changes concerning the consumption data (electricity and water)?

Hi @Mario_Aerni, I won’t backport the changes the 3.4.x but @laursen has already done this. Maybe you can provide your version @laursen?

Sure, you could try this:
org.openhab.binding.mielecloud-3.4.3-SNAPSHOT.jar

I’m not sure, but I believe I updated it with the latest changes for retesting. I just extracted it from my production system and don’t have my development environment available now, so can’t verify. Try it. :smile:

Thx, will do :slight_smile:

Update: Worked fine, thx again!

1 Like

For some reason I don’t see the new channels (energy and water). Few questions, where I should put the new jar-file (into addons directory)? Do I need to delete my dishwasher Thing and then recreate it?

Yes, in the 3.4 version you need to do that. Don’t forget to uninstall the binding when switching to the JAR.

Hi @BjoernLange, @laursen
Since today my Meile Cloud Binding shows “offline”. Any changes here?
It worked for months - now it stopped working.