Mitsubishi Heat Pump

Thanks for the tips!

Hi again.

I have now managed to access the control board of the MFZ-KA12NA and it does feature a red connector just like the one shown on your picture. So, it looks like I am in luck.

Next I need to get ESPeasy up and running. Unfortunately, I am not yet familiar with git and I find it a bit difficult to get the whole environment working… At this time, I don’t really care with the auto update mechanisms, so I am trying to shortcut the process.

What I have managed thus far is to unzip “ESPEasy_ESP32_mega-20201125.zip” and, from there, succesfully start “ESP.Easy.Flasher.exe”.In the resulting UI, the firmware menu gives me a set of options which corresponds to the list of files I can see under ESPEasy/bin. What I suppose I need to do now is find the relevant Mitsubishi configuration file and place a copy of it in the bin directory so that it appears among the options in the UI.

I have also downloaded ESPEasy-feature-mitsubishiHP_1M_OTA_bin.zip, and after unzipping it, I found that the “firmware” directory includes a file named “ESP_Easy_mega_minimal_core_263_ESP8266_1M_OTA_MITSUBISHI_HP_HA.bin”. Is it correct that all I need to do now is to copy that one file into my ESPEasy/bin?

Many thanks!

What ESP8266 based board do you have?

I haven’t bought it yet, but I was planning to buy the D1 mini. Should I do that?

I’m using D1 minis and have been working for almost a year now in 4 ACs without a problem - they are convenient since can be powered by 5V directly (ESP8266 needs 3.3V and AC gives 5V so you might need an additional converter if you go with some other board).

The reason I was asking is that the firmware image you need to upload depends on the board you have - for D1 mini you need the 4M ones, while ESP-01 only have 1M …

Long story short - download fw from here and upload firmware image ESP_Easy_mega_20200913_test_ESP8266_4M1M_VCC.bin that is in zip to D1 mini and you should be good to go.

Please note that due size exceeding avail flash size some plugins were removed from builds in latest releases, including the one for Mitsubishi HP - so either use the one from my link above (last release that still includes the plugin by default) or download source code and build a custom image with plugin added. I use an older version of firmware and since haven’t had any issues I didn’t update to latest.

OK, I have followed your advice and downloaded “ESPEasy_ESP82xx_mega-20200913.zip”. I unpacked it and started “ESP.Easy.Flasher.exe”. As soon as I receive my D1 minis I will be able to use that program to flash one or more of them using “ESP_Easy_mega_20200913_test_ESP8266_4M1M_VCC.bin”.

But now (sorry about that!) I am confused with the next step. How exactly should I proceed to install the plugin?

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

Hey!

There is no extra step required, the ESP_Easy_mega_20200913_test_ESP8266_4M1M_VCC.bin already contains all you need :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for your response.

If I understood correctly the manual pages I read, once I have flashed my D1 mini with your “ESP_Easy_mega_20200913_test_ESP8266_4M1M_VCC.bin”, the rest will take place by connecting OTA with the mini. Right?

Thanks again.

Not sure if I follow. Once you upload the firmware and restart the device so firmware is loaded you should be able to select the Mitsubishi hp plugin as seen in my first post.

OTA update means you can upload a new version of firmware without physically connecting your board to computer (which is handy so you don’t need to take apart ac in order to do so if there is ever need to upgrade).

I guess I am confused between the various programs/UI that are available within the ESPEasy environnement. On a Windows 10 PC, I believe that I need to use a program named “ESP.Easy.Flasher.exe” to flash your bin file onto the D1 mini, right?

But then, once that is done, what program am I supposed to use to select the Mitsubishi plugin? I find it very difficult to get the answer to that simple question in the ESPEasy doc.

I hope that it is clear that my ultimate goal is to be able to control the D1-enhanced heatpump over the air.

Many thanks for your patience.

After you flashed and rebooted your ESP there will be a new WIFI network “ESP_EASY”. You have to connect to this network and there you configure your ESP. The UI you will see is like the pictures in the first post. https://nerdiy.de/howto-espeasy-firmware-flashen/

@Qwerty_Zet, Thanks, this is the scenario I had in mind when I asked if " the rest will take place by connecting OTA with the mini". In other words, the plugin is to be loaded from the interface of the D1 mini (through wireless) , rather than by means of an interface program running on my Windows PC.

Let me try to briefly describe the journey (assuming D1 mini):

1. connect board to your computer using USB micro cable - this should create a virtual COM port, i.e. COM5,
  2. start flasher app (included in the zip), select ESP_Easy_mega_20200913_test_ESP8266_4M1M_VCC.bin as firmware image to upload and COM port where your board is connected to,
  3. upload fw, when completed, restart the board (there is a hardware restart button on board if I’m not mistaken),
  4. since ESPEasy is not yet configured, your board will act as an access point (what Qwerty_Zet explained above) - SSID = ESP_Easy_0, pass = configesp - connect to it using your computer and it should automatically open web browser when connected,
  5. there you will see list of available access points - please select the one you want your board to connect to and set it up (enter security/password/…),
  6. enter static ip if you want your board to have it or leave as is if your board should use DHCP to gain IP,
  7. save config and restart your board again - now it should connect to the wifi you setup in previous step,
  8. start web browser on your computer and enter http://<ip of your board>/ and you should see ESPEasy web interface where you can setup everything you need (you should see something like in the screenshots in my first post).

More details can be found here.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. I find it crystal clear now. Sorry, that I took so long to get there!

No problem, it will be easier when you have the device so you can try for yourself - please let me know how it goes - or if you have any questions and/or comments. Good luck!

Hi there,

Thank you, I’ve installed everything as described and all works great.
The only note that I think can be added to the description - it only works with HardwareSerial.

For a couple of years I had a custom program to control the heatpump. It worked through SoftwareSerial on pins D5 and D6. Everything was OK but I decided to switch to your one because of the more detailed integration. Also I didn’t want a startup rubbish from ESP8266 be sent to the heat pump. Plus I could debug it easier. That is why I chose SoftwareSerial.
ESPEasy + this program don’t work if you choose SoftwareSerial for some reason. Only HardwareSerial works.
Thanks!

Hey!

Glad to hear you managed to get it working :partying_face:

I also had some doubts about startup rubbish via hw serial0 send by ESP8266, but then reading through community seems as other people are using that setup and woks for them so I tried the same and is working now for almost a year in 4 ACs … not sure ofc is that is any guarantee after all :slight_smile:

That said, in my setup I only tested the HW serial0 with D9/D10 … so cannot really say anything about others - from the plugin perspective, this is handled transparently and should work over any kind of serial interface - as can be seen here, so probably this is more of a ESPEasy issue … Did you happen to try with D7/D8 (swapped hw serial 0)? Or maybe open an issue and we can try to tackle it there?

Enjoy!

Hi crnjan,

I have now received the D1 Mini and I have followed the procedure described in your Nov. 21 message to flash it with your recommended firmware. I can now access the D1 on my local network. I have defined a Task Setting that looks exactly like the one shown on your original posting. I have also defined a controller no. 1 of type openhab MQTT; my only input there was to specify the address of my MQTT broker. It looks as if this is all I need to do. Right?

Before proceeding to connect the D1 mini to my heatpump, I thought I would implement and test the mqtt borker and OH software bits.

I installed mosquitto on my OH machine, and then, using the MQTT OH binding, I set up a broker connection to mosquitto. Then, I copied your .things, .items and .sitemap code with just minor name changes.

I am happy to report that so far so good. Monitoring the relevant mosquitto topic on my OH machine (I am using the command “mosquittto_sub -t ‘ESP_Easy1’”) I can see the effect of triggering the heatpump buttons on my sitemap interface, e.g.

MitsubishiHP,power,ON
MitsubishiHP,temperature,16
MitsubishiHP,fan,3
MitsubishiHP,vane,3
MitsubishiHP,wideVane,>
MitsubishiHP,mode,HEAT
etc.

At this point, I would like, if possible, to verify whether or not the D1 mini is receiving these bits.

Does the D1 mini automatically subscribe to the relevant topic (in your case I suppose it would be “FF_Nik_Room/#” or “FF_Nik_Room/ac/#” and in my case “ESP_Easy1/#” or “ESP_Easy1/ThermopompeCdM/#”)?

Is there a way to monitor through the web interface what the D1 Mini is receiving (before I connect it to my heatpump)?

Finally, I have a question about the physical connection. I bought the pre-crimped cables and the PAP-05V-S that you recommended. I understand that I need to insert one end of the pre-crimped cables into the PAP-05V-S connector. Do I need any special tool for that purpose? Is there any particular orientation required in order for the crimped metal end to lock securely into the PAP-05V-S?

Many thanks for your patience and Happy New Year.

Oops, I just realized that I had missed the “log” button under the “Tools” tab. It does report the following error:

5314375: WD : Uptime 89 ConnectFailures 175 FreeMem 20136 WiFiStatus WL_CONNECTED
5321469: MQTT : Intentional reconnect
5321612: MQTT : Broker C005 connection failed (176/0)
5344376: WD : Uptime 89 ConnectFailures 176 FreeMem 20096 WiFiStatus WL_CONNECTED
5351747: MQTT : Intentional reconnect
5351892: MQTT : Broker C005 connection failed (177/0)

Thus it seems that for some reason, the connection to my mosquitto broker fails. I am puzzled by that because the broken is on my local network and is not password protected at this time.

There is no special tool required for connectors and cables, just turn the cable so it will “click” into the little hole in the connector:

Screenshot 2021-01-01 at 19.59.25

When in place, you can try to (softly) pull the cable back from the connector - and you should not be able to do so.

For MQTT setup - I only entered the IP address of my broker - are you using hostname or IP?

I see something like this in my log:

1765022072: WD : Uptime 29417 ConnectFailures 0 FreeMem 18328 WiFiStatus 3