MQTT - Colorpicker - where to find a good example with explanation?

• Platform information:
    • openHAB version: running docker container openhab/openhab:3.2.0
  • Issue of the topic:

I added a zigbee RGB spot light by zigbee2mqtt.
Here a link to all the MQTT topics: Lidl HG06106A control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT

I am having troubles with configuring the color. (I know the LED has the colorspace CIE 1931 which means I need to add some kind of transformation from the RGB values to the colorspace of the device. But I am not even able to create a proper configuration which could send simple RGB colors to any device.)

I would have expected the integration of a RGB LED would be quite easy and the internet would be full with good examples.
But the stuff I am finding is not really helping me:

I appreciate every useful link or sample to learn how to add a LED RGB light with MQTT to OpenHAB.

• Please post configurations (if applicable):
    • Items configuration related to the issue
      Switch    HG06106A_State          "State"                         (zigbee)    {channel="mqtt:topic:zigbee:Lidl_GU10_HG06106A:StateGet"}
      Number    HG06106A_Brightness     "Brightness"                    (zigbee)    {channel="mqtt:topic:zigbee:Lidl_GU10_HG06106A:Brightness"}
      Number    HG06106A_ColorTemp      "ColorTemp"                     (zigbee)    {channel="mqtt:topic:zigbee:Lidl_GU10_HG06106A:ColorTemp"}
      Number    HG06106A_ColorX         "ColorX"                        (zigbee)    {channel="mqtt:topic:zigbee:Lidl_GU10_HG06106A:ColorX"}
      Number    HG06106A_ColorY         "ColorY"                        (zigbee)    {channel="mqtt:topic:zigbee:Lidl_GU10_HG06106A:ColorY"}
      Number    HG06106A_Effect         "Effect"                        (zigbee)    {channel="mqtt:topic:zigbee:Lidl_GU10_HG06106A:Effect"}
      Number    HG06106A_Linkquality    "Linkquality [%d / 255 LQI]"    (zigbee)    {channel="mqtt:topic:zigbee:Lidl_GU10_HG06106A:Linkquality"}
      Number    HG06106A_Transition     "Transition"                    (zigbee)    {channel="mqtt:topic:zigbee:Lidl_GU10_HG06106A:Transition"}

• Things configuration related to the issue
      Thing mqtt:topic:zigbee:Lidl_GU10_HG06106A "Livarno Lux GU10 spot RGB" (mqtt:broker:myMQTTBroker) @ "TODO" {
          Channels:
              Type switch : StateGet          [stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/XX", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.state", on="ON", off="OFF"]
              Type number : Brightness        [stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/XX", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.brightness"]
              Type number : ColorTemp         [stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/XX", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.color_temp"]
              Type number : ColorX            [stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/XX", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.color_xy.x"]
              Type number : ColorY            [stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/XX", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.color_xy.y"]
              Type number : Effect            [stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/XX", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.effect"]
              Type number : Linkquality       [stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/XX", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.linkquality"]
              Type number : Transition        [stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/XX", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.transition"]
      }

• Sitemap configuration related to the issue
      sitemap mqtt_zigbee2mqtt_GU10 label="mqtt_zigbee2mqtt_GU10" {
        // device specific properties
        Switch item=HG06106A_State icon="light"
        Text item=HG06106A_Brightness
        Text item=HG06106A_ColorTemp
        Text item=HG06106A_ColorX
        Text item=HG06106A_ColorY
        Text item=HG06106A_Effect
        Text item=HG06106A_Transition

// Diagnostics
        Text item=HG06106A_Linkquality icon="qualityofservice"
      }

• Rules code related to the issue
      nothing yet
    • Services configuration related to the issue
      addons.cfg
      binding = mqtt
      transformation = jsonpath

Are you viewing this sitemap in an app, or in BasicUI?
Sitemaps don’t have anything to do with the usual beginners starting point, the main admin GUI,“MainUI”.

Aha, now this gets used in MainUI. So, either/or, which are you working with?

Yes, you will need a Thing configuration.
I suspect some openHAB basics have gone over your head until now.

Items are the heart of openHAB, idealized models of simple devices.
In this context, all Color type Items are alike - RGB,HSV,LED,zwave,MQTT all make no difference.

Because they’re all alike, we can use consistent UIs with these Items. And there is a choice of UIs.
To use a UI widget, just click it, it sends an idealized standard command to the idealized standard Item.

Then Things and channels come into play - Things are a rough model of someexternal device or service. Channels link the Thing to Items, perhaps many Items with different properties. Things and channels are configured to matc the real-world variables and weirdness to the standard model Item. So here is where RGB mode, or HSV mode etc. become important.
So Thing and channel settings decide how and where the standard command gets converted to bits and bytes and sent over wire or radio or whatever the real technology is.

From the above you can see that MQTT and Colorpicker widget have no direct relationship at all.
Make a Colorpicker work with a Color Item? Sure, works out of the box. How to set up is dependent on the UI that you choose.

Important limitation here though - colorpickers, like a slider, require a sensible starting point. Might not work, might not even be visible if your linked Color Item has not got an initial value, from device, or by other intervention.

Something you might gather from the above … “but I haven’t got a Color type Item!”. Yep, that’s your problem. You cannot use the standard colorpicker with a collection of Number Items, with different colour components

Your MQTT settings don’t look silly, but not enough to say if they suit the real device. They certainly don’t suit a Color Item.
What you need to do is combine the incoming MQTT data elements into a single color channel.
Might help-

otherwise you might need a transformation to assemble x y b values into one.

Once your Item state is updating correctly, then worry about colorpickers.

To get colorpicker generated commands out to MQTT, this looks useful