My new Smart Home Automation System with OpenHab2 - Work in progress -> Migrating to OpenHAB3 -> Migrating to OpenHAB 4

openhab4 on raspberry PI 4 - samsung TV BETA binding

I try to install and setup SAMSUNG TV BETA binding…unfortunately I had no luck

homeautomation smarthome raspberrypi automation

openhab4 on raspberry PI 4 - I tried the new feature ‘UI Command Item’ on 4.1 release

After updating to the 4.1 Stable version of openhab, I try the new “UI Command Item” functionality, which allows control of the Main UI through commands given by updating a particular item.

It is a great possibility to make Main UI based control panels dynamic.

2 Likes

openhab4 on raspberry PI 4
dashboard with floorplan page changing automatically

After discovering and testing the new “UI Command Item” feature, I implemented an interface that changes pages automatically, through the execution of a scheduled rule.

In this way I can automatically view all the floorplan pages in sequence on my tablet hanging on the wall.

homeautomation smarthome raspberrypi automation openhab

1 Like

openhab4 on raspberry PI 4 - Identifying tablet usage to improve the dashboard UI experience

Taking advantage of a feature of habpanelviewer, software used for managing dashboards on tablets, I’m able to identify when the panel is used.

This way I am able to stop the automatic page changing on the UI we implemented in the previous step.

homeautomation smarthome raspberrypi automation openhab

1 Like

openhab4 on raspberry pi 4 - smartthings api, http binding, get/post call with json payload

in this video we see how to use the official openhab 4 http binding to make http calls to the smartthings api to integrate a samsung smart tv.
let’s create a things and the related channels, equipment and points to carry out a reading and writing test of the tv channel, using the following call types:

• get call to retrieve the current tv channel, using the jsonpath transformation to interpret the response that arrives in json format
  • post call to send the tv channel change command, using the javascript transformation to create the json payload to send in the body of the call

openhab4 on raspberry pi 4 - smart tv samsung, how will my integration end?

This video concludes my integration into openhab 4 for the samsung smart tv.

I used both the smartthings api and the official samsung binding to get working controls, so i created two things for the tv.

I then created a single equipment that puts together all the points linked to the channels of the two things created.

This is to make openhab see a single tv “object”, even if it is physically a set of two distinct objects.

openhab on raspberry PI 4 - The new openhab version brings us a new, secondary but useful, feature: contextual help

Let’s see a new feature, since openhab version 4.1, which allows you to view contextual help, with useful information in relation to the page we are on.

1 Like

openhab4 on raspberry PI 4 - News on my youtube channel (https://bit.ly/3SCPnVt) and a brand new project.

I think the time has come to SHOW MY FACE on SCREEN.

A small audio and video introduction by the “narrative voice” of the channel, until now always hidden behind the scenes… and presentation of a NEW PROJECT that I am trying to implement: openhab in a nutshell: A series of mini-videos related to the basics of OpenHAB, from installation to first configuration, up to advanced setups.

openhab4 in a nutshell on raspberry PI 4 - 1. Choosing runtime environment

Let’s start with the design of our brand new Home Automation System, starting from the choice of the execution environment for openhab.

In this video I illustrate the different choices that OpenHAB offers, also indicating my personal advice, based on my experience.

openhab4 in a nutshell on raspberry PI 4 - 2. First type of setup with openhabian

Here we are at the second video of the openhab in a NUTSHELL series, the first truly operational video.

I install OpenHABian on my Raspberry PI by flashing the image to the sd card.

Had it run full length while I worked, liked and subbed to help you out. Thanks for the video.

1 Like

openhab4 in a nutshell on raspberry PI 4 - 3. openhab installation on linux(deb)

Third video of the OpenHAB in a Nutshell series, about the installation of OpenHAB on the Linux operating system (Debian distribution or derivatives).

After installing the Raspberry PI OS operating system and installing JAVA 17, using the APT package manager, I install the latest stable version of OpenHAB.

openhab4 in a nutshell on raspberry PI 4 - 4. openhab installation on windows

Fourth video of the OpenHAB in a Nutshell series, relating to the installation of OpenHAB on the Windows operating system.

After installing java 17 I install the latest stable version of OpenHAB on Windows.

openhab4 on raspberry PI 4 - widget: a beautiful WEATHER station

In this video I show a nice widget for displaying weather conditions on openhab 4.

Let’s configure the Open Weather Map binding together by hooking the API KEY created on the openweathermap.org website and hooking the relevant items to the widget.

Lastly we insert the widget into a Main UI page

openhab in a nutshell on raspberry PI 4 - 5. docker container and openhab

Fifth video of the OpenHAB in a nutshell series in which I talk about installing OpenHAB as a DOCKER container, not before having installed DOCKER on the Linux operating system (in particular Raspberry PI OS)

After a short introduction on what Docker is, let’s see together step by step the installation of DOCKER ENGINE 32 bit on Raspberry PI OS.

I then install OpenHAB 4.1.1 as a docker container, paying particular attention to the management of DOCKER Named Volumes and their importance for data persistence.

openhab4 in a NUTSHELL on raspberry PI 4 - 6. portainer installation on raspberry PI

Sixth video of the openhab in a nutshell series: let’s install portainer on the raspberry PI.

portainer is a web software that allows, through a simple UI, to simplify the management of docker containers.

I chose to install the free Community Edition.

shelly 2 pm plus - native and local mqtt connection for openhab on raspberry pi 4

in this video i don’t talk directly about openhab, but i try to configure a shelly 2 pm plus for local and native mqtt connectivity.

obviously the goal is to integrate it into openhab via mqtt without having to use tasmota.

the shelly 2 pm plus is a double wifi switch with consumption monitoring and #roller shutter function, for the automated management of roller shutters.

openhab in a nutshell on raspberry pi 4 - 7. openhabian - initial configuration (part 1)

Seventh video of the openhab in a nutshell series: initial configuration with openhabian config.

After installing openhab on raspberry pi with openhabian, let’s proceed with the initial configuration through ui and then move on to the configuration and optimization of the operating system using the openhabian-config tool, from system updates to the installation of services useful to openhab such as samba.

openhab in a nutshell on raspberry pi 4 - 8. openhabian - initial configuration completed (part 2)

Eighth video of the openhab in a nutshell series: we complete the initial configuration with openhabian config.

After installing openhab on raspberry pi with openhabian and carrying out the first initial configuration steps, i complete the configuration with the last openhabian-config menu items.

homeautomation smarthome #domotic raspberrypi automation

openhab in a nutshell on raspberry pi 4 - 9. how to change openhab version ???

ninth video of the openhab in a nutshell series: let’s see together how to change the type of openhab version on an installation that has already been carried out.
let’s talk about the stable, milestone and snapshot version and the relative differences and the choice to make based on your goals.