My new Smart Home Automation System with OpenHab2 - Work in progress -> Migrating to OpenHAB3 -> Migrating to OpenHAB 4

My experiments keep going on…two DHT11 with a single SONOFF Mini flashed with TASMOTA Lite Custom.

Now I’m ready to integrate it in OpenHAB

As usual details on my blog

1 Like

OpenHAB v. 3 - ready to go

Yes, I’m back…Very happy for the release (not public yet) of OpenHAB 3. Now I’m planning the migration of my system from my actual version 2.5. I bought a Raspberry PI4 4 GB Ram, just to get more power and memory for the new system.

During the initial test and the migration I will try to make some videos, as a logbook of my migration path.

Details on my blog.

Bye

1 Like

Keep going on with the initial setup of OpenHAB v. 3 on raspberrypi 4 4GB. Let’s take a look at management UI testing simple MQTT integration

Second part of my MQTT test on OpenHAB v. 3. This time I integrated a simple DHT11 temperature sensor

Classic sitemap for OpenHAB v.3 running on a raspberry pi4 4GB, with a “tasmotized” esp device (sonoff 4ch), looking forward to learn the new “Main UI”, which is a very promising thing

1 Like

Another step This time I introduce the concept of “persistence” by installing the OpenHAB add-on to connect to InfluxDB, a time-series database engine. The video also shows the initial setup of InfluxDB as a Docker container, via portainer.io, a simple docker web based container and image manager.

1 Like

InfluxDB (installed through docker and portainer) setup as persistence service for openhab 3 on my raspberry pi4 4GB. An example of database creation, auth management and temperature data acquisition, received through mqtt protocol from a dht11 temperature sensor connected to sonoff 4ch flashed with tasmota firmware

A quick video to show how simple it is to create dashboards for visualizing data managed by OpenHAB v. 3 with Grafana through the persistence service on InfluxDB.
In particular, I show the creation of charts for temperature data sent from a sonoff and for the changes of state of a button connected to the same sonoff. I’m quite ready to migrate my actual InfluxDB database from RPI2 to RPI4 and let my current openhab setup (2.5) use it

In this video I migrate the InfluxDB database, used by my current OpenHAB 2.5 system as a data persistence engine, from the Raspberry PI 2 to the new Raspberry PI 4 due to memory and performance problems. The migration is done with a eye to the next upgrade to OpenHAB 3.

In the video I show all the steps performed: from database backup and restore procedures to the changes made to OpenHAB 2 and Grafana to connect to the new InfluxDB.

2 Likes

#openhab3
This time I tried the “remote #openhab binding”, a great addon for openhab3 that allows interaction between different instances of openhab version 2 and 3 (version 1 is not compatible). In my test instance of openhab3, installed on #raspberry pi4, I acquired the consumption values of two floors of the house by hooking directly to the items managed by the instance of openhab 2 that I am currently using as my main system. The values are obtained from pzem004T board connected to #esp 8266 devices which via custom firmware (self-written) send the measurement data to openhab 2 via wifi network and #mqtt protocol

#OPENHAB 3
Back on the Main UI of OpenHAB 3. I try, as an example, to design a small system using the semantic model, introduced in this new release. I speak about location, equipment and point, used to model floors, rooms and, in this first part, temperature and humidity sensor, connected directly to my actual openhab2 instance through the remote openhab binding

#OPENHAB 3
Second part related to the example of semantic model on #OpenHAB3, running on a #raspberrypi 4 4GB. After adding some floors, rooms and temperature and humidity sensors, now it’s time to add two light switches in the same room, taken from my actual openhab2 instance through the remote openhab binding. First switch is an output of a #sonoff 4ch (#esp 82xx based) and the second switch is managed by a #sonoffb1 (RGB light), both flashed with #tasmota firmware communicating through

Let’s go on exploring the new UI for #openhab3 installed on a #raspberrypi 4 4Gb. Finally floorplans can be created directly from UI. In this example, on the (approximate) floor plan of my kitchen, I add gas, temperature and humidity sensors and a light switch. The data, for convenience, is taken, as usual, via remote openhab binding, directly from my still running openhab2. The light and the temperature and humidity sensor (dht11) are managed by a #sonoff 4ch with #tasmota, while the gas detector is an MQ-4 managed by a #esp 8266 through a firmware written by myself; both communicate via the #mqtt protocol.

Initial setup of the well-known #mqtt broker mosquitto on my #raspberrypi 4 4GB, as #container #docker through #portainer. I made this installation to migrate my current #openhab 2 installation to the new openhab 3 version.
mosquitto is used by home automation systems to allow the integration of devices via MQTT. In my case I have several #sonoff updated with #tasmota firmware and some #esp 82xx device with custom firmware that communicate via mqtt

#openhab3
As an example, I measured the consumption of a #raspberry pi 4 using #sonoff pow, updated with #tasmota. The data is sent to Openhab 3 which, through the persistence engine, stores them on #influxdb to be then displayed on a dashboard with #grafana.

#openhab3
Preparation for the definitive #openhab 3 server begins. Bruphny Kit for #raspberry PI 4 assemblied. The kit consists of a case, heatsinks, fan and non-slip feet … as well as micro hdmi - hdmi cable, micro hdmi - hdmi adapter, 3A USB-C power supply switchable, a screwdriver and SD card adapter. The assembly is not exactly the simplest but the final result is good.

#openhab3
Automation our home #automation system. Writing simple #rules on #openhab 3, running on a #raspberrypi 4, via main UI. In the example, I use a #sonoff flashed with #tasmota to manage the automated light.

#openhab3
Other two examples of automation rules for our #openhab 3 running on #raspberrypi. In the examples I use a #esp 8266 board with a gas sensor and a #sonoff flashed with #tasmota to manage the automated light.

#openhab3
Some words about #api concepts, widely used in our beloved #openhab