Mycroft binding

Hello,
Im slowly trying to get away from some of the “big-tech” / non-open source solutions and im currently trying to replace Alexa since its getting a bit creepy.
I used the echo dots for some acoustic alarms and notifications about technical parameters arround the shop as well as an additional doorbell since the mounted one is way too quiet (especially when a cnc machine is running)
I do use some voice commands for news, lights, turning off things… but the notifications would be more important/handy actually.
Since snips.ai isnt really an option anymore I guess, I tried out mycroft and set it up on a rpi4.
The openhab skill seems to work fine but now I would need to get it running in the oppposite direction.
I only need openhab to send a simple Say “text” to mycroft.
Im using OH3 on an rpi4.

I found this thread: New Binding : Mycroft and downloaded the 3.2.jar
Unfortunately the link to the documentation is broken and the binding cant be started due to a missing dependency… which exceeds my skills

2021-08-19 09:58:56.330 [WARN ] [org.apache.felix.fileinstall        ] - Error while starting bundle: file:/usr/share/openhab/addons/org.openhab.binding.mycroft-3.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.binding.mycroft [259]

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: javax.validation.constraints; version="[2.0.0,3.0.0)"

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:444) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]

at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.start(EquinoxBundle.java:383) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundle(DirectoryWatcher.java:1260) [bundleFile:3.6.4]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundles(DirectoryWatcher.java:1233) [bundleFile:3.6.4]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startAllBundles(DirectoryWatcher.java:1221) [bundleFile:3.6.4]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.doProcess(DirectoryWatcher.java:515) [bundleFile:3.6.4]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.process(DirectoryWatcher.java:365) [bundleFile:3.6.4]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.run(DirectoryWatcher.java:316) [bundleFile:3.6.4]

Does anybody know how to solve this problem and maybe already knows commands if there is actually a way to get the binding running?

Thanks in advance!

You wrote that you use OH3. There are two snapshots mentioned in that thread a 3.0.2 and 3.2.0 snapshot. In case your OH3 is 3.0 did you try the 3.0.2 snapshot ?

1 Like

Thanks a lot, one of the sillier mistakes. I downloaded both because I wasnt sure about the OH version but then, for some reason, added the 3.0.2 instead of the 3.2 to the addons folder. It is working now and the things are self-explanatory so far.

Im wondering why there isnt more focus on it though (or that you have to install the plugin manually etc) since its a pretty usable alternative if you are more on the privacy focused side, which, I assume, some people here are.

1 Like

I’m verry happy to see that someone use this binding. I put some effort in it, and just as you, I think OpenHAB and Mycroft are a good match.

The pull request is still open, so if you have some request or bug report, I would be glad to make improvements.

Once (if) the pull request is accepted, the binding should be available directly in app. For now you have to manually install it, and as the binding is pretty new and the waitlist is pretty big it could be several months (?) before reviewing and official availability.

1 Like