Network Binding - iPhone Presence Detection - arping Configuration question

Hmm the iCloud binding is a good addition for presence detection. But the big problem for me is that i don’t like to provide the user/pass for iCloud in this configuration settings. The same iCloud account that holds all my documents, pictures etc.

and you are absolutely right to not do so, as I’m :wink:

We can only hope iCloud will implement something like google accounts where you can set separate passwords for different devices with limited access.

Thing network:pingdevice:kriznik   "Mobile iKriznik"   [hostname="phoneip", refreshInterval=600000, retry=2]

this works fine for iphone 5s, 8, X … for 6 and 6s same settings sometimes falls to offline, not sure why as they all runs same iOS, maybe some HW difference

Hi, I’m struggling with network binding to use arping from OH3 on macOS 10.15.7
I’ve gone trough many threads including this one and it seems that my question fits here.
What is already done:

• arping is installed through homebrew (ARPing 2.21, by Thomas Habets)
  • set file owner to root
  • set permissions (chmod u+s)
  • can run it with a standard user to detect the specific host (arping hostname)

When I start OH, this line appears in openhab.log:

[WARN ] [rg.openhab.core.io.net.exec.ExecUtil] - Failed to execute commandLine ‘[arping, --help]’

Also the thing configuration says:

Properties:
icmp_state : System ping feature test failed. Using Java ping
dhcp_state : Running normally
presence_detection_type :
arp_state : Disabled
uses_ios_wakeup : Yes

Note: the host is NOT an iOS device :slight_smile:

What am I missing in this puzzle to make arping work?
Also I’d like to understand why (normal) ping test failed, how can I investigate that?

My openHAB runs under a service user as a daemon, it could not find the arping tool, seems a path/profile issue I could not resolve.
Now arping works as I provided the full path.

I’ll try to investigate why network binding fails on the system ping test. I’d appreciate any suggestions on what level should I set on which loggers for this.