New Gree Air Conditioner Binding

Hi,

I found nicely described remote functions in repository: https://github.com/tomikaa87/gree-remote.
Can anybody rewrite it into binding?

I have 2 unit (Gree Viola A3 GWH12RA-K3DNA3M) and org.openhab.binding.greeair-2.4.0-SNAPSHOT.jar work well.
Can anybody share a widget for HABPanel?

I have AC from Aermec. This vendor also uses the Gree WIFI module, so OH can detect the AC, but there was problem with paring. I analyzed the code and found that requests sent to the AC donā€™t have 1 attribute ā€œtcidā€ which is MAC address of AC. I added this option to request and compile new jar that works for me. Maybe someone has the same problem and it will help.

Hey guys,

Iā€™m just prior to buy new A/C at home. Iā€™d found some Gree A/Cs which met my preferences.
Can you tell me if I can connect the Gree A/C to my OpenHAB without a cloud registration? I use OpenHAB to avoid any kind of cloud connected devices on my network at home.
Currently I canā€™t figure it out if these bindings above mimicking a cloud connection, or replace it fully.
Thanks a lot in advance!

From personal experience, using it with my Cooper&Hunter AC (manufactured by Gree) i had to initially use their app to set up the wifi connection, afterwards i unregistered and deleted my account in the app, and as an extra ā€œprecautionā€ I blocked the ACs mac address from internet access, so far it works with openhab with minimal issues. Sometimes after a power outage i have to disable and re-enable the AC thing in openhab to have it reconnect, other than that I have had no other issues.

Thanks a lot Valentino! This is a great news for me. Iā€™m going to order my Gree A/C today.

Can someone assist me to get the Temperature set and display in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius. I notice in the Github that indicate that the code is already prepare for Ā°F, but I has not able to make it work on my system.
I already properly set the locales on the linux server, but not clear what else need to be done on the sitemap or the items to make it work.

Thanks in advance,

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this binding! It works almost perfectly for me, except that it loses the link after OH restarts. I have to manually change the IP address of the thing, then save, then write back the original IP and save, only then comes the thing online again. Weirdā€¦
Any suggestion on that?

Anyone have a version for OH 2.5?
Thanks

I change only the ā€œtimeā€ of the thing from 1 to 2, and in the next restart from 2 to 1

I use 2.5.2.

with which version of binding? Can you share it?

org.openhab.binding.greeair-2.4.0-SNAPSHOT

Hello Guys,

Sorry if this sounds stupid but I am new to openhab and still cannot get my way around. I came across this awesome addon which I plan on using to control my Gree AC at home. I did a manual install by adding the necessary files (.jar, .things, .sitemap, .svg, .png) files in the corresponding directories and pre-configured the config files and even did a restart of the pi but still when I open the app and launch the gree addon through paperUI openhab freezes. On my android it loads the sitemap but still nothing happens. I have checked the IP and the last 4 hex values of the mac to match the config which it does, also the channels are correct with the hex value.

Now I wonder how do I make this work from scratch i.e. a clone from the github project? Just download the files but then what, as said I am a noob so would be helpful if someone can provide some guidance, I cannot see the .jar file or any other whatsoever so I guess I need to compile this in a way?

Much appreciated for anyone having the time and nerves to help out :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s an idea which might be implemented into to project for all those who fear getting their data being sent over to Chinese servers: https://github.com/emtek-at/GreeAC-DummyServer

Cheers,
Vlatko

Iā€˜m just ordering a Gree and OH is important to me. I already did bindings for Shelly, Apple TV, Rachio, MagentaTV so I would be able to look into the binding.

Before taking this expectation I want to get an overview what we a facing

• what works
  • what doesnā€˜t
  • issues and
  • feature requests

All: please share your experiences with Gree as product and the binding

@markus7017 That sounds great!

Last time I used it (still not warm enough here yet), it worked just fine for me, apart from one thing - if I disconnected the AC from mains, and then reconnected it, the binding would not pick it up again without a restart. Since I move my AC between rooms, this was a bit annoying.

How do you rate GREE in general. Here in Germany they are not very popular so itā€™s hard to find test reports etc. I need to decide between GREE and LG - difference in price is 2k :slight_smile:

Well, I suspect it depends on models / brands (mine is Innova 35). I suspect there are many variants. However mine has worked fine, but as you know, these movable ACs are not too efficient, compared to a split. So always go for the largest model.
I selected mine since I could not find any other that could easily be controlled by OHā€¦ The one thing that is crap with mine, is that it does not evacuate the water with the air outlet. Wish I had known thatā€¦ :slight_smile: Also I donā€™t like the ā€˜phone home to chinaā€™ feature.

yes. thatā€™s the reason why I consider it. I want to go for a 4x split unit. Given the status of the binding I expect this to work - or get it work, but Iā€™m not sure about the brand itself. Once itā€™s installedā€¦there is no way back.

Binding works fine! I use it frome Sitemap:

I also connected it with google assistant. It is able to switch on/off, change modes and temperature. Just the name of the modes are not matching at the moment as google binding has fancoil set up at the moment. We have a promise that with the next update additional modes will come and I hope that I can tie them together.