New installation - no thing discovery

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: CPUArchitecture/RAM/storage Xenon 8 core processor /24 GB ram/Loads
    • OS: _what OS is used and which version_Windows 10 professional
    • Java Runtime Environment: _which java platform is used and what version_Zulu 14 X64
    • openHAB version:4.2.7
  • Issue of the topic: please be detailed explaining your issue - Nothing happening on new install
  • Please post configurations (if applicable):
    • Items configuration related to the issue
    • Sitemap configuration related to the issue
    • Rules code related to the issue
    • Services configuration related to the issue
  • If logs where generated please post these here using code fences:

I have just installed Zulu and the latest release of OpenHAB. From the instructions it sounds like it is supposed to do a discovery of things automatically but it’s not. No things - empty inbox.

There is a scan button - when I hover over it it says “Scan” but when I click it I get a message saying “Click the scan button to scan for new things” and does nothing.

So - can someone please let me know how to do a scan - I can’t find anything in the documantation about it.

Thanks
Everso

Could you give us a fighting chance of helping you by saying which bindings you have added.

IE,

No binding loaded = Nothing detected

Hi MDAR,

thanks for the reply. At the moment there is nothing … no things - no bindings … and as far as I can see no way to add them. The beginner instructions didn’t say anything about “enable thee bindings and you will see stuff”. It just told me to go to the inbox (also empty) where my devices would be waiting for me.

And like I said - when I click the scan button I get a message telling me to click the scan button…

The first time I had the same problem, I simply hadn’t given Openhab time to finish the first installation correctly.
The first time you install Openhab, leave it, as per documentation, between 15 and 45 minutes to install the add-ons.
Otherwise you must proceed manually as explained in point 3 of the documentation for Windows.

Once done, through PAPER-UI install the Bindings you want.

Jad

Is that Java 14? openHAB requires Java 8.
OH3 will be Java 11.

Jad - it had well over an hour and this is quite a decent PC so I would have expected something.

Bruce - I downloaded latest version. I did see something about Java needing to be version 8 … so I uninstalled 14 and installed 8 … I am now getting JAVA_HOME is not valid: “C:\Program Files\zulu-8” … the folder does exist and that is where it was installed so I’m not sure why it’s upset at me. I have done some googling and it seems I am not the first to have these issues … some had proposed fixes so I’ll have to go through them before I can even get it back up and running.

Thank you both for your time replying.

Are you sure you followed the instructions here?

Hi Bruce,

nope different ones. As you run the setup it said “check the instructions here” a couple of times … so I did. They are quite different to the ones you linked to.

Now all I have to do is fix Java and I can give them a go.

Thanks.

1 Like

What is the difference between “start.bat” and “start_debug.bat”. Given that my Java is upset I thought I would run the debug and was expecting it to fail the same but give more verbose logs … but it just ran - lets me open the web GUI and everything.

I linked to the official documentation. The developers usually know what they are doing. (I hope… :wink: )

1 Like

As long as you do not install any binding, openHAB won’t find anything.

2 Likes

What devices do you have to be discovered?

Add the binding for them and let us know if they show in inbox.

1 Like

Thanks for all the help guys but I think OpenHab is not for me. Most of my devices are Tuya/Smart Life and it looks like (please correct me if I’m wrong) OpenHab does not support them without a lot of messing on either via IFTTT (which is why I am trying to do my own server) or flashing every device I buy from now to eternity (not going to happen).

I am afraid it’s so long and thanks for all the fish from me. Pity because the community here seemed really helpful but I think I’ll give something else a try.

Everso

Why not reflash with tasmota ? Get out of the cloud…

Hi Danny,

I would love to be out of the cloud … apart from the privacy/security issues there is the whole … internet is down so I can’t turn a light on thing… but the idea that I have to re-flash every time I buy a new bulb etc seems like a lot of work.

The motivation of the companies is to lock you into their cloud. There is also the issue that when they decide to no longer support your device, it quits working. Amazon is doing that now for a device first released in 2017. Your only choice then is to replace the device and recycle the useless one.

Zigbee and Z-Wave are standards designed for local control through their own mesh networks separate from Wi-Fi. Unlike Wi-Fi they are designed to minimize battery usage in battery’s powered smart home devices. Mains powered ones usually act as repeaters to help extend the network.

1 Like

@Everso I second what @Bruce_Osborne says zigbee and zwave are great alternatives and are local out of the box.

On the reflash as long as tuya convert works it’s so easy!! It’s a one time thing. But I do like my zigbee bulbs as they can be easier than dealing with Wi-Fi passwords and such.

1 Like

I tend to prefer Z-Wave because all Wi-Fi & Zigbee devices use the interference-prone 2.4GHz RF. I know that microwave ovens and other devices commonly interfere with Wi-Fi in those bands.

So if I flash a tuya plug/bulb it becomes a Z-wave?

No… it could communicate through MQTT over WiFi. You could then use the MQTT binding in OH with them. Search the forum for “Tuya MQTT”.