New Openhab app update empty site map!

I haven’t changed in 1.8 or touched it.

It was going to change to 2, but this also happens to users of Version 2.

Thank you.

Anyway, it’s no use complaining.

Now we have to wait for the bug to be fixed and that Apple will accept it.

Maybe about 2 or 3 months.

We have to wait, thanks for the work for me, the best option for Control Home.

It is actually a reasonably request; at least leave the option to keep the old implementation by some means for those who can’t upgrade right now, even if it means that the code is not maintained or supported. Options are almost always better than no options.

For how long should these old versions remain around and consume OH volunteer’s time and efforts? The last update to OH 1.8 was three years ago. The iOS app worked just fine with 1.8 for three years. There have been five new releases to OH in that time. It’s not like we are springing this on everyone all of a suddenly that there is a new version of OH and you may have to upgrade.

Does Apple permit this? I don’t have an iOS phone so don’t know what their policy is for keeping old versions on the app store when there is a new one available. But again, see my 1 from above, they won’t be allowing Objective-C apps forever so even that would be a temporary thing. It’s been three years now. Would having another year really make that much of a difference, or just delay the complaining for another year while no one makes the move to upgrade until it breaks. Unless you jailbreak your phone you don’t have a lot of choices about where you can get these older versions of apps.

And even so, this is a bug that I have every confidence will be fixed. It’s not like we are dropping everyone in the lurch, at least not on purpose.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but this really is not fair to Tim and the gang, who, I’m sure, have put in lots of time and effort to bring the openHAB iOS app to Swift and up to date. Just the fact that there is new development on the iOS app is brilliant, as the old version had its own long standing bugs and issues, so your ‘if it works’ statement isn’t quite true.

I’m also running openHAB 1.8 and have been bitten by the issue with the new version, but since my whole apartment is running on openHAB and I deeply depend on it, I also make sure that I have secure backup plan in place. So after not being able to access openHAB 1.8.3 with the new iOS version I had the old version reinstalled within 10 minutes, turned off auto updates on my iPhone and I’m happy to wait until Tim and others have sorted out the issues for us.

If you’re also as dependant on the openHAB iOS app please remeber that you’re as much responsible to keep things in running order as the poeple working on the iOS app and openHAB itself.

A big Thank You again to Tim and whoever is involved in bringing the iOS app into active development again!

7 Likes

I do not have the previous version.

Thanks, no problem.

… AND

for anyone who’s really getting their knickers in a twist, stating that they, or their spouses, can’t turn their lights on or off, or do whatever on their iPhone or iPad now.

I’m sure you all know that openHAB is also easily accessible through Safari, or any other web browser, on iOS, so you CAN still take control :wink:

1 Like

Not sure if anyone mentioned it before. If you are on 2.x the problem has to do with your sitemap being named _detault.sitemap just rename it to something different as a workaround. I had to change it in the sitemap too:

sitemap _default label="Main Menu"
{
….
//to:
sitemap DefaultSitemap label="Main Menu"
{
….
3 Likes

Can you upload the previous version to TestFlight?

The one that works properly.

Thank you.

1 Like

Another vote for the previous version to be reinstated, perhaps under a different name or via TestFlight, please. I lost control of a good part of my home because of this unexpected update.

I have no resources to redesign/rewrite my rules for OH 2, wish it was backwards compatible with 1.8. Migration failed miserably. 1.8 works very well.

Many thanks for your help.

1 Like

The version. In the App Store and the version in test flight both work for me. I am on 2.5m1.

Not sure it helps, but it works.

Second this!

1 Like

Okay, let’s agree to disagree.
You think that we (today) have no options.
I think we do.
BTW, I’m not complaining, I’m proposing.

+1 for the old app under another name if possible… please? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do not complain either but it turns out that this version does not work with OH 2 either

I disagree, It worked perfect with my version of openhab2.5m1.

Can more details of what’s not working be posted I can test further?

Please read above and in the GIT you will see that the version that is now in the applestore does not work in 1.8 in 2 in 2.3 etc.

You have just used the latest version of OH the rest we follow with the one we have in control of our home.

And the AppleStore version does not work error sitemap.

1 Like

Philips now has 3 hue apps out. One for Bridge V1, one for Bridge V2 (the current one) and one new for bridgeless (Bluetooth) operation. So I don’t think Apple would have an issue with two versions of the app. I can’t comment on the Objective-C topic, but as long as Apple allows, the old App could be kept.

Since I am also a contributor to an open source project and at times contribute here as well (some ZWave database maintenance, tutorials) I know the amount of time every contributor invests. At the same time acceptance is an issue.
And incidents like this don’t add acceptance. It is true, Openhab 2 is out for quite some time. But I can understand users being still on 1.8. It just works. An upgrade is a major project which has the potential to bring the family acceptance factor sub-zero. Openhab restarts are not funny, it takes about 10 minutes (other report up to 45) for a restart and in my setup during this time the light switches won’t work. Not an issue for me, but for my family and thus an issue.
Issues decrease acceptance and on the long term decreasing acceptance leads to decreasing relevance. My impression is that the Openhab team wants to be relevant and because of that I have decided to use Openhab.

1 Like

+1 for the old app under another name!

this is a common practice, effort should be minimal, don’t see any reason why not to do it…

BTW I don’t see any mention by Apple of rejecting Objective-C apps, my guess is Objective-C apps will be allowed for years to come.

1 Like

I think a tutorial on how others can do the same would be very useful, if you are willing to write it up. It may not help those who didn’t take the right precautions up front, but it can tell users what they can do to avoid problems when there are similar problems in the future.