New openhabian on raspberry pi, zwave OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION_ERROR zwave.thingstate.serial_notfound

Hello all,

I’ve been using ago control with a Aeon labs z stick and recently decided to try openhabian on the raspberry PI model B rev 2 that was formally running ago control.

I installed openhabian on a new sd card, booted the pi and let the configuration take place per the instructions at http://docs.openhab.org/installation/openhabian.html

In the configuration menu i went to system settings / serial ports and disabled the raspberry serial console and added common serial ports to openhab then rebooted the RPI.

Launched into the Paper UI and installed the zwave binding, in Configuration - Things - edit - Z-Wave Serial Controller
and entered the serial port - /dev/ttyAMA0

in configuration / things / zwave serial controller I get the following message"OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION_ERROR zwave.thingstate.serial_notfound"

I have also tried "
/dev/ttyS0 with the result of “Status: OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION_ERROR zwave.thingstate.serial_notfound”

Any help with getting openhabian to see the aeon labs zstick will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

I checked the console results below

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 204, 64 Jul 23 09:11 /dev/ttyAMA0

Check the following section in the docs -:

http://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html#privileges-for-common-peripherals

You might need to add the EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS options…

Added the java options per the document and openhab was already a member of tty, but I still have the error as stated above

Thanks

Same here with the sigma gen 5 dongle since the update to the latest snapshot (#998). No solution found :frowning:

What snapshot were you using before this? I doubt it’s related to the binding - probably something in your system.

I had the same issue with a clean install of OH 2.1 on ubuntu… Got it solved by:

sudo adduser openhab dialout
sudo adduser openhab tty

I restarted the server after this, although I dont know if that was needed.

Ref: http://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html#privileges-for-common-peripherals

I used the snapshot #985.
Was doing /runtime/bin/update, restart openhab2.service and “communication error” with dongle.

My guess is there is no change at all in the binding between these versions - the last change in the binding was a month ago (22nd June).

No change in the serial communication layer of the core neither ?

Have to setup the serial interface in openhabian-config first. Then the serial port for gen5 is /dev/ttyACM0.

Correct.

Tested with open-zwave-control-panel and everything work well.
Trying to revert back to 2.1.0 stable release and still nothing, “communication error”.
I don’t understand why the bundle can’t communicate with the dongle.

If you’ve reinstalled, maybe you’ve lost some settings such as the EXTRA_OPTIONS which tells java about the serial ports?

EXTRA_OPTIONS are used and the mysensors gateway connected on /dev/ttyS1 works well.
Is there a way to trace the connection to the serial port ?

No - I don’t think so.

What is the actual error you are getting?

This is the last “restart org.openhab.binding.zwave”

11:06:17.023 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - BundleEvent STARTING - org.openhab.binding.zwave
11:06:17.025 [DEBUG] [inding.zwave.internal.ZWaveActivator] - Z-Wave binding started. Version 2.2.0.201707190537
11:06:17.428 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core.ConfigOptionProvider, org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core.ConfigDescriptionProvider}={component.name=org.openhab.binding.zwave.ConfigDescription, component.id=222, service.id=1013, service.bundleid=208, service.scope=bundle} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
11:06:17.486 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.binding.ThingHandlerFactory}={component.name=org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.ZWaveHandlerFactory, component.id=225, service.id=1014, service.bundleid=208, service.scope=bundle} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
11:06:17.502 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.core.events.EventFactory}={component.name=org.openhab.binding.zwave.event.BindingEventFactory, component.id=226, service.id=1015, service.bundleid=208, service.scope=bundle} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
11:06:17.555 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - BundleEvent STARTED - org.openhab.binding.zwave
11:06:27.484 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:gateway:node5' changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to UNINITIALIZED (BRIDGE_UNINITIALIZED)
11:06:27.498 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:gateway:node6' changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to UNINITIALIZED (BRIDGE_UNINITIALIZED)
11:06:27.507 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:gateway:node7' changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to UNINITIALIZED (BRIDGE_UNINITIALIZED)
11:06:27.520 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:gateway:node8' changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to UNINITIALIZED (BRIDGE_UNINITIALIZED)
11:06:27.536 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:gateway:node9' changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to UNINITIALIZED (BRIDGE_UNINITIALIZED)
11:06:27.549 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:gateway:node10' changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to UNINITIALIZED (BRIDGE_UNINITIALIZED)
11:06:27.559 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:gateway:node2' changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to UNINITIALIZED (BRIDGE_UNINITIALIZED)
11:06:27.572 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:gateway:node3' changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to UNINITIALIZED (BRIDGE_UNINITIALIZED)
11:06:27.583 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:gateway:node4' changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to UNINITIALIZED (BRIDGE_UNINITIALIZED)
11:06:27.777 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Initializing ZWave serial controller.
11:06:27.779 [DEBUG] [zwave.handler.ZWaveControllerHandler] - Initializing ZWave Controller.
11:06:27.786 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:serial_zstick:gateway' changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to INITIALIZING
11:06:27.805 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:serial_zstick:gateway' changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline
11:06:27.829 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core.status.ConfigStatusProvider}={service.id=1018, service.bundleid=208, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
11:06:27.834 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core.status.ConfigStatusProvider}={service.id=1019, service.bundleid=208, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
11:06:27.848 [INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Connecting to serial port '/dev/ttyACM0'
11:06:27.855 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core.status.ConfigStatusProvider}={service.id=1020, service.bundleid=208, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
11:06:27.859 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core.status.ConfigStatusProvider}={service.id=1022, service.bundleid=208, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
11:06:27.863 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.zwave           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core.status.ConfigStatusProvider}={service.id=1021, service.bundleid=208, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.binding.zwave
11:06:27.909 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:serial_zstick:gateway' changed from OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): zwave.thingstate.serial_notfound

After wiping the org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.Thing.json, I was able to add the zwave controller (delete and reinstall in paperui was not working).
When I open the new json and the old, the only difference is the format of the variables : integer in the new and float in the old. I dig in to find if this is the cause.

Found it !!! When I remove all the mysensors things, the zwave is working. I try to tell it to the person who wrote the binding. Maybe you can take a look Chris ? :slight_smile:

https://github.com/tobof/openhab2-addons

I don’t think there’s anything I can look at. It’s probably a problem with the way the serial ports/driver work, but I don’t want to get into developing that…