Newbie: which version of Ubuntu for installing OpenHAB?

Hello,

I am new to the OpenHab community and I want to start my little DIY project :slight_smile:

If I go to Ubuntu website, https://www.ubuntu.com/download you can find different versions of Ubuntu… desktop, server, cloud etc…

Being a newbie I was wondering which version id better for OpenHAB: desktop o server?

Many Thanks

Regards

Ivan

On which hardware do you wont to install oH?

starting some test with a VirtualBox 5.2.16 but planning to install everythgin in RPi3… :stuck_out_tongue:

I you have the raspi use openHABian. It’s very easy.

1 Like

will it work also on VirtualBox? and sorry, but where I can find it to download? :stuck_out_tongue:

No, it’s a special version for raspi.
All what you need, you can find in the documentation. See the link above.

I did this recently on unbuntu. I used the server version as you don’t need a desktop.

The key dependency for using Ubuntu was the java version. Openha b only plays well with certain javas .

I do highly suggest buying a pi and just use ooenhabian. The ease of install is worth every penny you spend on the pi. This is coming from me a 20yr vet of linux and many years get of openhab.

If you do go with vbox and ubuntu. There are a few tricks, so beware. The java was one for me, the second was vbox itself. I had to configure network in the gui to slow for access to the openha b server. Those were the two big challenges for me but works great after setup.

Thanks @Thedannymullen

my knowledge of oH is very limited… but why openHABian cannot be installed in VBox? isn’t just a “custom version of Linux”? apology if what I have written is stupid :stuck_out_tongue:

There is a ?|“manual Setup” section which seems to work for any linux installation… no?

If you have expert knowledge with linux, you can use vbox, if not you should use openHABian with raspi (or pine).

My recommendation is to download the server version of Ubuntu and then follow the Manual instructions for installing and running openHABian. That will give you the closest environment you can get to a stock openHABian environment in VirtualBox.

No because it is based on Raspbian which is complied to run on ARM based processors. VirtualBox only supports Intel/AMD type processors.

It is but it is a custom version of Linux complied to run on a very different processor. You can’t run the Raspberry Pi version on Raspbian on an Intel/AMD CPU. You can’t run an Ubuntu compiled for Intel/AMD CPUs on an ARM processor like you will find on an RPi.

Debian based Linux (apt) would be supported. So Ubuntu, Mint, etc would be supported but Fedora or SuSE would not.

@IP_FINAR openhabian-config can be installed to ubuntu after the openhab install is performed. There is docs online, don’t have the link handy. (Sorry :frowning: )

This allows you to use most of the tools included in openhabian. I have done this and it works well, but I much prefer the pre-installed image on a raspi.

Thanks! I will just get a RPi now! :slight_smile:

anyone can suggest what I would need? to start?

I will also try to play around with a nodemcu and I am thinking of buying:

What else to start?

Many Thanks

16-32 Gig. This will extend the time you will have before the SD card wears out significantly. 8 Gig is probably the minimum I’d recommend.

The NodeMCU seems a bit expensive. If you are not in a hurry, you can usually get them for significantly less from Alibaba or Wish or one of the many other straight from China sellers. It will take weeks to receive them though so take that into account.

Beyond that, I wouldn’t buy a bunch of stuff for the NodeMCU until you have a project to try. There is no need spending lots of money on parts you don’t need. If you really want to just play and experiment, you can get a kit with a bunch of sensors and buttons and such to get started. But I’d recommend coming up with a project and just getting the parts you need.

Thank you for the suggestion! I have actually started to look into this project just because one of my alarm system remote stopped to work and a new one is goign to cost me 120 euro! (they do not do it anymore)… looking around I have found out that I can actually try to “manage” the alarm system by connecting the alarm I/O relay to the nodeMCU…

I am mainly saying “playing around” because I am not sure of the "outcome :stuck_out_tongue:

The real project would be to connect to openHAB the old alarm system… in this scenario, considering I do not know if I will succeed, I think that I do not need any fancy "starter kit)… no??

in summary:

• RPi
  • SD card
  • Power Cable for RPi
  • NodeMCU
  • Power adapter/cable for NodeMCU ??? does it need one, or it can get power from RPi? - sorry if this is a silly question)
  • Connecting Cables / Breadboard for testing

anything else? welder (which specs)? voltemter (which specs)?

does it make sense to get https://www.amazon.it/Elegoo-Elettronico-Breadboard-Condensatori-Potenziometri/dp/B01JM2PUQU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532707932&sr=8-2&keywords=arduino+raspberry+pi+starter+kit in my case?

Please let me know

A lot of your question were already answered here: :sunglasses:

this topic is finalised (which Ubuntu to install)… the HW requirements have been followed up here: Retrofit Wireless Alarm System

If your budget allows may want to look at getting some of these.

Mini Breadboards

I love them. You can set small projects up then and keep them. Just thought I would pass it on.

1 Like