Niko Home Control II

You can bypass the Activation my making the “Activate” button active in the html code. Just open up the dev tools of your browser and change the html code and voila, you can click the Activate button :wink:

3 Likes

Cleverly seen :wink:

Here is the answer to get you through it.

{“answer” : 42}

1 Like

Just received this from Niko:

"Dear Niko Home Control user,

Thank you for using our Hobby API to expand your Niko Home Control system!

However, we have noticed that you are currently using a function via this Hobby API which is having a negative impact on the overall performance of the system.
Specifically, this is the functionality for continuously retrieving the electricity power. These values are now being retrieved continuously (ratio of 1 value every 2 seconds) and are very taxing on the system. This has a negative impact on its overall performance and proper operation.
Therefore, we would like to ask you to temporarily disable this feature.

We are working on an appropriate and robust solution to enable this feature again, but this will take some time.
The probable date is now set for March 2022."

Got the same … glad its not just me thats impacted their entire system for all users by enabling this simple functionality !!

To give this some context, I have been contacted by Niko as well. Their API allows a call to get consumption data every 2 seconds for 30 seconds. Then it stops. This is fine for use in a UI, where you may want to see how much you are consuming at the moment, but very limiting for an event system like openHAB. I worked around it by calling the function every 30s, to get a continuous flow of data.
It turns out this data is not just passed through the API locally, but also sent to their cloud, causing a continuous stream of data (every 2 seconds) to their cloud for users that have this turned on. And it seams to be taxing to their cloud. It looks like all these cases are openHAB users.

I therefore want to kindly ask all of you to turn energy consumption monitoring of for the moment (disable the thing). If needed, I will adapt the binding if Niko comes with a solution for the problem. Let’s all do this to not abuse this API and encourage Niko to keep such an API available to all of us.

1 Like

Mines off and I’ve passed the feedback onto the UK Niko installers group.

I’ve stopped calling it too. Must admit, I assumed it was a local call but it seems not.

It is local between the connected controller and openHAB (using MQTT), But I am as surprised as you are that this info that goes through the local API communication, in parallel, gets send to their cloud. I don’t see the value of this on their side. The information should only pass through their cloud when using their app outside of the local network.

1 Like

So, I sent this to niko support:

“ Hi, I’ve stopped using this call for the time being, but am a little confused as to why it has an impact on your system. I would have thought that a local call to the connected controller via MQTT would have no need to report that call back to the Niko servers.

Is it true that all local requests are routed through to the niko servers?”

This was their reply:

“No but all local requests are also broadcasted to or severs. This will be fixed in a future release”

Hi,

What is the username and password combination u used to open the stream? It seems that all username/password combinations I find online are not working …

Tim

Do you mean to unlock the API or ?

No to view the live stream through ‘rtsp’

I have a question about the thing type pushButton. this has the supported channel button. According to the information for this thing, OnOff command types are supported.

But when I try to use this I noticed the following:
When I control the action (movement action) via the NHC application, the item state is following the state as it is in the NHC app. It switches ON and OFF.
But when I try to control the action via Openhab I can activate the action with a sendCommand(ON) command but I’m not able to deactivate the action by using the sendCommand(OFF) command. Is this normal? I’m able to toggle the action state by sending multiple sendCommand(ON) commands to the item but it I like to activate/deactivate the action by ON/OFF commands.

Hello @DaanDW can you upload a debug log please?

It is normal in the current version of the binding. These pushButton thing types are normally used for doing things like setting a scene, or turning all lights off. The inverse does not make sense. The state would be set again based on switching something else. You would normally map these in the UI to a unique state instead of on/off.
That being said, I had the request recently, and it looks like NHC indeed allows these to be switched on/off. Therefore I did change the logic in the current development branch. If you want to try, it is here.

I have noticed that any switches within NHC2 that use a basic action will be discovered by openhab as a switch, however, if these are programmed within NHC2 to be a free function routine (I think they used to be called conditional actions) then they are discovered as a pushButton. They can certainly be sent on and off commands within openhab.

Hi all,

Are there any updates on the energy monitoring?
I’ve been contacted as well by Niko asking me to disable this feature (which i did).

Kind regards

My understanding Is that this won’t be available again until niko patch their side of things

Please keep it disabled for now. I have not heard anything recently, but when they contacted me end of October they stated they were working on a solution on their side. They didn’t give me a target date though. As soon as they have a solution, I will adapt the binding to fit.

1 Like