No Settings in UI after migration to 4.2.0 from 3.4.0

Dear all,
I just performed an upgrade of my Openhab docker install from version 3.4.0 to 4.2.0 via 4.0.1. I’m encountering problems on the new version. My Settings screen is completely empty, the Things screen keeps on loading and the same for the Model screen. Items are all there and the system seems to be functional. I don’t know whether these problems also appeared at the 4.0.1 intermediate step. I checked the update.log that was clean and the system was functional so I performed the next step.
I also noticed that in the logs it complains “Transformation service JS for pattern dbm_to_rssi.js not found!” while that was never a problem before and also the file dbm_to_rssi.js is in the transform directory.
All my things, items and rules are configured by file. No complains when loading these configuration files. Any clue where to start looking?

Install the JS Scripting add-on.

Beyond that, clear the cache and watch the logs.

If the behavior continues, report back with relevant logs.

Hi Rich,
Thanks for your quick reply. I’ve about 10 other js transforms that do not give any complaints. Just this one after the upgrade.
Not sure how I can remove the cache. Since I’ve everything file based (things, items, rules, transform) and I did my own backup I just upgraded again from the 3.4.0 configuration except that after stopping openhab I first removed everything in userdata/cache and I did a direct upgrade to 4.1.2. Result was exactly the same. Nothing suspicious in the logs. Is there another way (or may be the correct way) to remove the cache?
Going back to 3.4.0 doesn’t have the above mentioned issue. But in the interface now also the Settings, Things and Models are gone. The whole system works as expected so this is most likely related to some UI settings that went wrong. So from that perspective the upgrade is consistent …

Those won’t complain until they are invoked. But the error means you do not have the JS Scripting add-on installed. “Transformation service JS … not found.” The “for pattern” part is just to help you find where that transform is being used. OH 4 does not come with JS any more. It must be installed separately. And the names have changed so that JS and javascript now refer to JS Scripting instead of Nashorn JS.

This causes all the add-ons to be reinstalled.

Upgrades with the docker image also clear the cache as part of the upgrade and it can take some time for all the add-ons to be reinstalled.

I’m not asking for “suspicious”, I’m asking for relevant. Do you see the add-ons being installed on the first run after the upgrade? If you had JS transformations that means you had the JS Transformation add-on installed. That add-on no longer exists. So you should be at least seeing complaints about not being able to install the JS Transformation add-on in the logs. That’s relevant.

OK this explains the javascript error in OH4, I should have checked the release notes more carefully and spotted this myself. Let me first try to fix the GUI problem in OH3 before I do the upgrade again. I’ll open another topic for that as this is not migration related.