Noob/New: Help add Unlisted (Smitch) wifi lights - ESP8266 + Google/Alexa

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi B+ V1.1 w/ USB HDD logging
    • Java Runtime Environment: Zulu
    • openHAB version: 2.5.3
  • Issue of the topic: Unlisted Vendor “SMITCH” an Indian Startup company for WiFi RGB and WiFi White (dimmer), purchased online. I do see they use ESP (8266) chips because it shows up for a few seconds on DHCP listing as the light initializes. No idea how to get this linked/add bindings in OHA2.5. I got basic programming and electronic skills, in case that has to be used. Thanks in advance for the help!

Well if it is unknown we can’t help without more details, but the basic is this.

If you know the firmware inside and there is a binding then the light can be added using that binding.

Otherwise you would have to reflash it with something like tasmota or esphome. To do that need to see if they support the device or not first.

Thanks for the tip! I will try searching that route. Also, any ideas tips on snooping for commands using wireshark? What should I be looking for in the traffic?

I called the manufacturer, but they are not willing to give away anything. Maybe it is time for a hack. Currently thinking to hostapd my laptop and see what their server speaks to the bulb. Has anyone seen luck this way?

Info to the device that is not encrypted.

If it uses an ESP8266 chip there is a good chance you can hack it. :shushing_face:

Please let me know if you have success with this as I would be interested.
Thanks

1 Like

I don’t know enough about your devices, but I’ve been messing around with Tasmota firmware and it works well. If it turns out that your devices are Tuya-based, then there’s a good tutorial for flashing them using a Raspberry Pi and Tuya Convert.

You can then connect them to OH using the Mosquitto MQTT broker (installed via openHABian config tool) and the MQTT binding.

I guess it is not tuya based they seem to have developed it ground up. Maybe the HW is a bit different along the way. Have not opened one yet. Thought to mess with that after checking out what it speaks. I will def try flashing provided the above doesn’t work and hw is compatible.

Yay!! First responses! I did a hotspot on my laptop (had a spare dongle from my RPi setup). Used wireshark to tap into the mqtt talking and here we are!! I’ll be trying this thing on OHA later today, maybe!

ON Request  : bcddc237ea71/req0001xx090001
ON Response : bcddc237ea71/res{"values":[{"r":0,"g":0,"b":0,"rainbow":0,"candle":0,"flash":0,"brightness":100,"powerState":1}],"mac_address":"ab:cd:ef:gh:ij","status":"Control","model":"RGB Bulb"}
OFF Request : bcddc237ea71/req0001xx090000
OFF Response: bcddc237ea71/res{"values":[{"r":0,"g":0,"b":0,"rainbow":0,"candle":0,"flash":0,"brightness":100,"powerState":0}],"mac_address":"ab:cd:ef:gh:ij","status":"Control","model":"RGB Bulb"}

Well, i edited off the MAC addresses anyway!

@H102, @Thedannymullen, @rpwong or somebody, please noob-update me on best practices when starting off a with a new mosquito or device binding? (am i breaking any rules by multi-mention?)

1 Like

Hi Adrine,

The best answer I can give you is to follow the documentation, search the community, and ask questions when you can’t figure something out. It’s generally expected that new users will put in some work on their own using the resources that are available, rather than asking open-ended questions.

Others would say RTFM (“read the f****** manual”), but I’m personally not fond of that approach with new users. However, I agree with the sentiment. It’s best that volunteers put time toward helping solve problems instead of walking new users through every step.

You’ve clearly got more technical skills than many people who’ve jumped into openHAB (including me). You’ll be fine once you dig into it.

1 Like

Look at using REST API or experiment with some of the transformation services to send messages to the device.

Or something like this:

1 Like

Purchased the Smitch bulb. Dimmable white.

Flashed Tasmota on to it by taking it apart and soldering headers to the ESP8266 module.

Unfortunately it uses an SDS3546S LED controller and I have not been able to find any template or configuration for that module.

Anybody have experience with the mentioned module?

The following documentation and video will guide you to create the template.

@king9kong let us know if u did these steps to find out a template. Flipkart is selling at good rate. If u good in loading tasmota then surely a few more will buy them. Better than China

Nice documentation and video by digiblurDIY

Yay! This is great news! @king9kong please do post your findings. I was on this process, but got caught up with a lot of other things.

@king9kong, @acorreya, did you make any headway with this. I also got one smitch light today and was interested in adding it to my openhab setup.

1 Like

Was not able to do… got too caught up with survival. I think @king9kong 's method would be a quicker fix than having to run through all OAH internals to make a Smitch library or so. Also, gives a lot of features. @king9kong can you share how to perform the surgery without breaking it?

1 Like

Interesting, I have couple of Smitch Smart Plugs and was wondering if the stock firmware can be changed. I never liked the Smitch app UI. Would prefer if it can support Tuya or Tasmota.

For anyone who wants to tasmotize their smitch devices, here are my findings for their RGBCCT 10W bulb(on Flipkart).

ESP Datasheet
Flash Pins

Have only loaded tasmota firmware up till now, will post config settings if I manage to find a working one.

EDIT 1:
Here are pinouts:
GPIO04 - PWM1 - Red
GPIO12 - PWM2 - Green
GPIO14 - PWM3 - Blue
GPIO05 - PMW4 - Cold White
GPIO13 - PWM5 - Warm White

and tasmota template: {“NAME”:“Smitch RGBCCT Bulb”,“GPIO”:[1,1,1,1,416,419,1,1,417,420,418,1,1,1],“FLAG”:0,“BASE”:18}

3 Likes

hey can you ping me on gsgill112 at g_mail / gs_gill in telegram ?. I would like to connect and discuss this further

Hi, I soldered the pins as in the pic but tasmotizer wasn’t able to connect, were there any additional steps that you took to flash the firmware? Like connecting ground to gpio0 etc?

EDIT: able to read serial output from smitch firmware but unable to flash, it’s seems that it’s unable to go into flash mode

I was able to load Tasmota on Smitch(Smitch Wi-Fi RGB - (10W) ) and Syska RGB(Syska SSK-SMW-8W-C Wi-Fi Smart Bulb) bulbs using USB serial connection. It was not working with CP2102 USB, it worked with CH340G and it’s important to ground GPIO0 on powering up to bring ESP8266 to programming mode. The pin was marked as IO0 on the PCB on Syska PCB…