NWI/NWE not working

I have a running OH for a while now, using my Aeon Stick Gen 5.

Following some discussions and some issues with a new Gen 7 stick, @ rlkoshak made me realize that NWI should be working (at least on the Gen 7) but never worked for me, neither wirth the Gen 7 nor with the Gen 5.

Since NWI never worked for me, I really got to love the Gen 5 stick as I can take it and exclude/include work right away, all the time (while carrying it around).
So my “magic” fix is always to take the stick out, exclude/include, plug it back, and then the discovery works all fine.

My adventure started with OH before v2, then OH2 and now OH4. My Raspberry Pi is new, OH4 is freshly installed but I did not make an install from scratch as I did restore a backup as I mentioned here.

The migrations went very well as I mentioned, but I start thinking that my config may be broken for a long time (regarding NWI) and that would explain the issues I got with the Gen 7 stick.

Is there any where in the config, some settings about NWI or something that could prevent it ?

On the controller UI page, click advanced. It should be NWI by default, but maybe it was set differently long ago and just stayed that way.

You mean this ?

I did check and even test High Power, without seeing much of a change.

That should be working. NWI is the best.

I am sure it is but I did not get much of a chance to experience it much :slight_smile:
I have a few other devices, I will try again.
I have a rather dense mesh so I really don’t think this can be an issue. I am also a few cm away from the controller.

At the risk of repeating myself, a debug log of inclusion starting with SCAN would have more diagnostic info. Couldn’t hurt, might help

Yes, I will provide you that. I just need to figure out exactly how to scope this test and avoid the chatter of the whole network… I am not sure what a SCAN is :confused: :grimacing:

Using OH, if you click the “+” in the lower right, choose the zwave binding, you should see the SCAN button to press (start Debug), press SCAN, then press the inclusion button on the device.
edit: after 20 seconds stop debug

Oh I see.
I did a test using an included and non battery powered device: Everspring AD142.
I excluded it prior to the test using the gen 5 as I usually do (traveller mode…).

I then plugged the stick back and waited for everything to settle.

I know what the next node id should be (113).
I ran a scan in debug. It produces tons of output but nothing about the discovery of this node 113.
I started the inclusion. Seeing nothing after 30s, I 3xclick again.

There is 2MB of logs including data I would rather not share but if you know what should be looked at, I can grep the file and dig further.

I have logs from:

2024-04-22 15:33:58.521 [DEBUG] [al.protocol.ZWaveInclusionController] - ZWave controller start inclusion
2024-04-22 15:33:58.523 [DEBUG] [ol.serialmessage.AddNodeMessageClass] - Setting controller into INCLUSION mode, highPower:true networkWide:true.

to:

2024-04-22 15:34:03.000 [DEBUG] [ol.serialmessage.AddNodeMessageClass] - Add Node: Failed.
2024-04-22 15:34:03.000 [DEBUG] [al.protocol.ZWaveInclusionController] - Inclusion event: Current state IncludeSent, new event IncludeFail
2024-04-22 15:34:03.001 [DEBUG] [ol.serialmessage.AddNodeMessageClass] - Ending INCLUSION mode.

I will try to get you this portion of the logs privately.