Official Alexa Smart Home Skill for openHAB 2

hi @digitaldan - yes I can. Returns the same reply as per above.

I’m in same situation - all working well but I noticed I had hue emulation on and had lots of double ups in Alexa app so to tidy this I thought I would uninstall hue emulation, forget all devices on Alexa app and then rediscover. It didn’t find and OH devices. Reinstalling hue emulation Alexa discovers all the hue items but still no OH skills based ones. Seems same as above issues

I just turned up the logging, can you try again and give me the “exact” time you made the request? Also what region (US/EU) are you in?

Tried the request again just now - 6:23AM Australian Western Standard Time.

I am also struggeling to find new devices. I can address the existing ones, but when i create new ones in my *.items file, they were not found anymore. Same issue when rejecting previously found items.

The items were found, when accessing myopenhab.org

Maybe the functionality of your Excel Sheet could be combined with my idea of a “cheat sheet generator”. :slight_smile:

I had to reinstall openhab again. Now everything works fine.

Hi! I have no problems - started using this skill yesterday, ran the discovery, and all my items appeared in “Devices” in 20 seconds. After that changed some items and re-run discovery several times (because Alexa was not getting me right, and I had to play with item labels), each time updated items appeared in “Devices” right away.

Firstly - Congratulations on giving us this great app and I appreciate the hard work gone into writing and getting the approval from Amazon.

I have got a few things communicating with Alexa, and like rocher, had to mess around with some labels.
A few questions / comments.

1. Alexa does not like a couple of words. I tried “Monitor TWO” and “Socket FOUR” but she is getting confused with TO and FOR. She seems to translate “Switch on socket four” to “Switch on socket for … [what]” then gives up.
    Anyone else had this and what suggestions for a workaround?

2. Does CurrentHumidity work? I see it is in the Homekit list, but does not work for me.

3. Squeezebox. Got Alexa to turn off the squeezebox (Power),when set in the items as Switch or alter the Volume when set in the items as Dimmer. Used [“Lighting”] for Alexa.
    Any suggestions how I can use the same label e.g. “Kitchen Radio” to Power OFF and Volume % value?

Anyone else had this and what suggestions for a workaround?

Unfortunately not, she very much gets confused on some words.

1. Does CurrentHumidity work? I see it is in the Homekit list, but does not work for me.

The Alexa Smart Home API does not support this, as soon as it does we can add it easily

Any suggestions how I can use the same label e.g. “Kitchen Radio” to Power OFF and Volume % value?

I have been thinking about how to do this as well as the Alexa API seems to want to support this by having a device respond to multiple types of commands. One quick solution would be to create a dimmer item that triggers a rule. In the rule whenever the item receives a command. You would turn off the squeezebox if the command is OFF or 0, turn on and set volume to the command if the command is > 0, and turn on and use the last volume level or a default volume level if you receive command of ON or 100

@digitaldan - Thanks tor the reply.

As for the Alexa words, I have had to be creative e.g. Second Socket.
Great idea to create a rule for the volume <= 0 or OFF etc. I am porting over from OpenHab 1.8, so will add this to my rules.
I am watching another development going of for Alexa control for Squeezebox (I use Max2Play as well on my Pi).

@christoph_wempe Feel free to improve my excel sheet…

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxwDFjYKpMNMWlZYeko1UmFMZ0E/view?usp=sharing

Hi @digitaldan - any luck in looking a the logs to see why the discovery isn’t working?

Same still no luck with discovery here

Apologies for the delay I can see 500 errors being returned from the cloud service in our lambda logs, but I don’t see exactly why that’s happening. I just pushed a small change to production that will hopefully give some more useful logs. If not, I will have to look at increasing the log levels in the cloud service.

I just did 3 scans on a row just seconds before this post if it helps pin it down

Thanks, I realized I had a typo in the error debug code, I fixed that and will monitor the logs today, hopefully we will find the issue. I suspect its something with the oauth key and authentication.

Can those that are having discovery issues make sure that calling /rest/items , either locally or through https://myopenhab.org/rest/items returns correctly? I just saw an error where OH is throwing an exception b/c of a bad item config (java.util.IllegalFormatConversionException)

Scanned 10 seconds ago, no issues, all devices found.

Edit: Snapshot build #921
206 | Active | 80 | 2.1.0.201705151816 | openHAB Cloud Connector Bundle

Hi @digitaldan - i can still successfully hit the REST API through myopenhab. Still no luck discovering devices - tried again at 7:30AM AWST (Australia).