Official Google Assistant Integration for openHAB

1. I would use the default upper case ON and OFF instead of on and off or even powerswitch_POWER_**.
  2. Why do you map the values two times?
    On = projectorswitch_POWER_ON = 38000,0,…
  3. If you need the same mapping for multiple items use the map file. Otherwise I would just put it in the item definition.
  4. It is sendCommand(projectorswitch, ON) not send command(projectorswitch_POWER_ON)

There might be more errors in your config, but this is what caught my eye. :wink:

It is probably better to post a new thread for questions like these.

Then copy and paste the code into your post. Many of us use our phones and screenshots after impossible to read. It is also much easier to copy your coffee and fix what is wrong instead of making us retype everything.

Use code fences: How to use code fences

The rules page is the documentation for the rules but based on the errors Christoph identified I think what you need to do is pay really close attention to the docs and examples. Everything matters including spaces and case. Use VSCode to help identify does as you type.

Install the demo package and look at those rules. Make small changes to set how it changes things.

I also recommend reading the beginner’s tutorial and the concepts section of the users guide because you lack an understanding of how the pieces of OH work together. For example, devices are represented as Things. Each part of the device is represented by a Channel. Items link to Channels. Rules work with Items. If your Item is not linked to a Channel your Item can’t talk to the device.

That is what the Item projectorswitch changed from OFF to ON means. That tells OH to run the role when that event occurs in that item.

1 Like

@rlkoshak lkoshak
Hi

It is possible to ask Google Assistant about Item Value except those with tag [“CurrentTemperature”]?
For example ask about switch status? ON/OFF?

Questions like these frustrate me. In the amount of time it took you to type in this question and I to find out the answer you could have just Said “Hey google, are my lights on?” and gotten your answer.

The answer is “yes” btw.

12 Likes

Everything was working fine but today I tried too issue a command too Google and its saying it can’t contact openhab trying to sync devices gets same response anyone else having problems?

I have also unlinked openhab from Google assistant and can’t relink its saying can’t change setting

Sounds like the same problem here Google Home Error linking openHAB account

1 Like

Yh sounds like the same problem looks like it didn’t receive no replys

Recent post so it might sort itself out if someone else is experiencing it

Looking at the myopenhab it says my setup is offline and went offline earlier today

Did you turn it off and on? Happened to me once. I think I just restarted the service, maybe the computer, then it went back to normal. I assumed myopenhab.org was just down for the first day before I realized.

I have fixed it now restarted openhab and Google home

Removed openhab from Google assistant
Removed google assistant from my openhab site
Readded working now

Hi All

As a total newbie to OpenHab, I’ve been having a terrible job getting my head around how to add tags (as my system was configured using PaperUI, rather than text files).

I followed this post (mentioned by adam_e) and have added my own experience / tips to the bottom of it (May 22nd 2018)

[Apply tags to items added/linked in Paper UI - #11 by oklona]

I hope it helps someone else.

@rlkoshak
I couldn’t work out what you were referring to when you kept questioning if I had linked things to items.
I think I’ve got my head around it now.

To give my feedback, It seems like if I left OpenHab2 in Simple Mode and let it create Items from Things automatically, I was unable to edit the Items later.

So although it a bit of a long winded process, I’m finding that creating Items as I add Things not only makes it easier in the future, but the names I choose make more sense.

One tiny observation, which might be due to me using a SnapShot build (Circa 1283),

When I add a Thing, then open the Thing’s channels to link to an Item.
I have to create a New Item each time, but clicking “Link” doesn’t link the newly created Item.

It appears to create the Item because if I click Cancel, then try to Link the channel of the Thing again, the new Item appears in the list and can be linked.

Hi @ALL,

I ve deployed the latest state of the openHAB Action to production for the upcoming openHAB 2.3 Release. There is now a USAGE.md file as a user guide, so this is actually the right docs to read if you just wanna use the openHAB action. The current version brings in also a fix for the tagging issue. Thanks to @skimdankish for the thermostat contribution.

Would be cool if you guys test, if all remains ok and possibly those with Tagging issues could check if we
magically solved your issue :slight_smile:

BR Mehmet

5 Likes

Hi @MARZIMA

For the thermostat mode, what are the Strings allowed?
Should they be uppercase, lowercase, does it accept both?

Thanks

1 Like

Anybody been able to get Google Assistant to read text from a String in OpenHab?

Such as:
“Google, what show is running on Kodi?”

And it would respond by reading the text from my item:
String kodi_title “Kodi Show [%s]”

Thanks.
I gather the ChromeCast reads the text for you in the room (instead of your phone running google assistant).

I am looking for Google Assistant to give me the information.
Similar to how i would ask if a switch is On or Off.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood your ask. As far as I know there is no way to ‘push’ text to the assistant to have it read out. The closest I have seen is using IFTTT to reply to a request with whatever text you enter in the IFTTT applet, or whatever it’s called these days, but that requires you to ask the assistant something first to elicit the response.

Thanks @mcqwerty, this seems overly complicated for my needs. I will wait and see to see.

I’m still having issues with linking my account. How can I find out what’s going on? All I get back is the generic error “Couldn’t update the settings. Check your connection” in the Google Assistant.

Is there any logs available from the cloud connector that would let me know what the issue is?

Hi the issue seems to still be there i tried the with the tagging I tried the 2.3.0 RC2 and openHAB 2.4.0 Build #1292.

Hi Marzima,

Thanks for this great functionality. I started by using the official myopenhab.org site and have also got it working on a development myopenhab cloud site.

I am trying to implement google assistant functionality for a TV Remote (via a IR beamer). I have tried to figure out how to add a tag, such as “TVRemote” rather than “Switchable” so that the vocabulary of the requests and responses better suit the device, i.e. changing channels, input sources etc.

Is this possible? I have noted rikoshak’s comment about using Google Assistant shortcuts, but the response makes the user’s conversation a little weird.

I have added the “TVRemote” tag to the google assistant code using similar code as for the “Thermostat” tag. I then used this tag for all the “Switch” elements for the remote control, which are collected together in a group. However, it seems that the tag is not recognised by google assistant, though it is successfully sent during syncing.