Official Google Assistant Integration for openHAB

As far as I can tell, the openHAB action will be supported just like all other Google Assistant devices, but without visual represetnation. That is, the device won’t run any other apps (it’s running a stripped down version of Android Things for IOT devices). It only seems to have built-in screens for YT, music, weather, etc…). I’d consider getting one, if it would support running the OH Android app. Though, I also read that the screen is tiny (iphone 8 size), so it might not look so great, anyway.

I plan on buying one as soon as they´re released here in Denmark.

1 Like

I’m also interested in the Google Home Hub.

Does someone know if e.g. the KNX triggered lights can also be integrated into the Google “Home View” which is a simple UI included in the Google Home Hub to control the different things (lights etc.) inside the home?

I’m not quite sure how it works right now but perhaps someone else here knows. It would be awesome to use the Google “Home View” as a simple additional way of being able to interact with the home. (without the voice)

A new version of the Google Home app has been released. It now includes device control, which may make the openHAB native app kind of duplicate…

But are we able to add our things configured in openhab to the Google Home? I still don’t get the integration we still have with Google Home at the moment. So will I be able to go to my Google Home app and switch of my KNX controlled light?
As I understand it it would work like Google Home > my openhab > local openhab > KNX. Is that correct and is this already possible with the current Google Home openhab integration?

When adding a device to my Google Home app I’m allowed to add Openhab.

@droid - Yes! It’s already possible to add your devices to Google Home (via myopenhab). Read my how-to article/video here for information how to tag your items and link them in the Google Home app.

As far as the new view in the Google Home app, i’m not sure it fully allows control yet. In my app, Chromecast devices show up with a link below them (e.g. “Play song”), while openHAB items only show up with a configuration link (i.e. change the room assignment, label, etc.), with no possible actions yet…Hopefully that’s something Google will add in the future.

1 Like

I can confirm you can now control openHAB items like: dimmers, lights, thermostats from the new Google Home app View.
Items can be any items/things supported in openHAB including KNX, BTicino, etc.
This is not surprise : it’s actually what you can already do from Apple Home kit, Siri, Alexa or Google Assistants.
It’s just something that was terribly missing in the Google Home app and now is available…

2 Likes

This is awesome. I can’t wait to get my hands on the whole stuff.

Just tried it again (after restarting the app), and it also works for me! Still need some way to switch multiple selection devices (eg audio inputs into my amp), but it’s definitely a step forward in making the Home app more of a one stop control point,

Hi,

@Marzima For my information, if this gets deployed, do I need to upgrade to V2.4.0-M5 of OpenHAB to activate it or is this an openHAB-cloud side activation?
@aart Will this also activate the ‘Scene’ tag mentioned on your page on GitHub?

Thanks.

Yes, if Marzima is deploying my changes then the scene tag will also work with google assistant!

1 Like

Hi @Marzima, this would be a very nice addition especially now the Google Home app has been updated to show all openHAB devices in an orderly fashion when linked! I don’t want to rush you as I’m sure you are a very busy man and would like this to be added as well; without pinning you to it, do you have a guestimation as to when you are able to deploy Aart’s changes? Thanks for everyone’s work on the matter!

@aart

I’m interested to understand how the scene tag functionality you’ve added will work. Do you have some examples documented?

Thanks.

Mike

Here are some pictures of the new Google Home app on Android:

This is what shows up when I launch the app

You can drill down into rooms, in this case I pressed on Bar. I see I need to come up with better names.

Further down the main screen showing one of my thermometers

It properly displays the temperature for a thermometer has the “CurrentTemperature” tag, but it also has buttons to increase/lower the temp along with changing mode.

Are you using Android or IOS (Apple) ?

Ahh, ignore my question… I just grapped the new app from apk mirror. It is released today.
It´s still not available on Google Play though.

Android, I got it via Google play last night.

Weird… i checked Google Play , last night and today, still the old one.
Just checked again 2 seconds ago… Still the old one.

Anyway, I grapped it from Apk mirror, so no problems, for me :slight_smile:

The new Google Home app is great. But I seem to have some problems with my dimmers. Using the new on/off buttons in the app, they send ON and OFF to my dimmers. But my dimmers doesnt understand ON/OFF, only value 0-100.
How to fix that?

It seems like Google app thinks, when using a dimmer, it requires both value (for dimming) and switchable for ON/OFF in the same item. I dont see how this is possible, or maybe I´m missing something.

It’s a staged rollout, that’s how Google releases all their apps.

The Scene tag in the way i have implement works the same as the switchable tag. You can turn a scene on/off.
For Google Assistant scene’s are state-less, so you can switch them on or off, but you can’t ask what the actual state is.