Official Google Assistant Integration for openHAB

This works great, I got the Google Home out of the Box where it has been sat since December and had it all working in 5 mins. Thanks!

Does this also work for the Google home mini?

no reason why it wouldnt

i was wondering about this myself my items were created in paperui and i couldn’t find an option to add tags

if you add the tags using the console like you say is this all thats needed to add the items to google home or do you still need rest api ect

i have already setup myopenhab and exposed some items for ifttt

You do NOT need to use the rest api if you add the tags in the console.

1 Like

that did indeed fix it.
Thanks for the heads-up.

1 Like

You can’t add tags to items auto created by paperui

Thank you very much @MARZIMA for all your efforts and the awesome job!

A huge thanks to @MARZIMA for contributing this binding!

Tagging away now.

A couple things about my experience. Probably was doing it the hard way, but hey, that’s how I learn.
I too was getting “couldn’t update the settings check your connection”. “Ok google, sync device” was giving me “an error occurred” So I got rid of all of my tags and just tagged one item, but still no luck. I removed all my tags, tried to tag through the console but got “Error: Cannot change tag Switchable on item XXX because this item does not belong to a ManagedProvider”, makes sense, my json items file is empty since I manage all items through text files.
So then I created an item through paper ui, was able to tag it through the console and got it recognized through google assistant. Excellent. Now update a bunch of tags in my .items files, and tell google to sync device, yes… everything works, all items now show up. Right. Remove item from paper ui, tell google to sync device and I get “an error occurred while syncing openHAB”. Add item through paperui, tag through console, throw in a reboot for good measure and now google can sync device and sees all tags, everything works.

1 Like

I can’t get this to install properly using the IOS Google Home app. I get to the Oauth section, accept, then goes back to Google Home with a spinning icon, then it doesn’t appear in the list of devices.

PS: @MARZIMA thanks for your hard work on this, it really is much appreciated :slight_smile:

Update: There has to be at least one tagged item for Google Home to add the device … all is now well :slight_smile:

not even using the console are you saying i will need to recreate the items i want too use with text files ?

Hi all,

thanks for the kudos!
BUT:
I need to thank to all of you here. You helped to make it happen and tested it, asked for it and waited patiently. So please clap your self on the shoulder. Thanks that you stay loyal to openHAB and that you all are part of the community.

Hope that we can remove small issues quickly and extend it feature wise. Shouldnt be too difficult after now.
I will look into tagging issue asap these days. Just give me some air to breathe within week for my Startup. Coming back to it at the weekend, probably earlier…

BR Mehmet

13 Likes

I don’t know if this is your issue, but I know that I tried to connect in the Google Home app before I had attached tags to my items. The result was like what you describe, nothing showing up in the google home app. This makes perfect sense and I half expected it. So, I quickly went in to my items file and added tags. I didn’t put them in the right spot at first, and all my items were removed from OpenHAB. I went back in and put the tags in the right spot and saved the file. OpenHAB immediately brought them back in, so I knew the syntax was good.

Then, I went back to the google home app and went through the oauth process again. This time, it added 21 light switches and I was able to assign them to rooms as expected.

Also, it’s worth mentioning that I have since made a number of device changes to my items configuration file. Once I saved the file, I just had to say “Hey Google, sync my devices.” and google would bring in any changes.

I don’t know if this is the same issue you are experiencing, but it was my experience. Hopefully it helps those who may be struggling.

1 Like

Hi Brett, you’re absolutely correct, and we must have crossed in the post, as I’d just updated my original post :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Update: There has to be at least one tagged item for Google Home to add the device … all is now well”

Thx. This was the key indication.

1 Like

After removing all Temperature tags it works very good. Great work!

One question (same with alexa by the way): If I add the [“Lighting”] tag within the item declaration, I can access the light within the google assistant. This item is linked to the power channel of the bulb. So I can say “Power light on”, thats working. Now I want to control the color of the bulb. I can add the [“Lighting”] tag in a second item, linked to the color channel. After adding the second tag I have now to devices within the assistant/alexa. Is it possible to have only one device (the bulb) to control different channels?

3 Likes

Fantastic, been waiting for this since the hue emulation method stopped working. Kudos to @MARZIMA for a well implemented integration, I think this was the easiest configuration of anything ever in my openHAB experience!

2 Likes

Agreed! I expected it to be much more difficult than what it was.

@MARZIMA thank you very much for all the work you have put into this! I really enjoy this a lot!

This is even working with the language set to german :de::upside_down_face:

I have a Pull Request and am currently running with a fork that works perfectly (for me…it should be tested).

I am not an expert coder so needs to be confirmed before going into production, but so far been using it for 2-3 weeks with no issues.

4 Likes