Official Google Assistant Integration for openHAB

Can’t get any combination of those words working, either get a “sorry, don’t know the answer of that” or a wikipedia lookup.

(NB: this is in norwegian with a norwegian google home)

Have you assigned the thermometer to a room in Assistant? For me (using swedish) it’s working when I ask “hur varmt är det i [rum]” where [rum] is the room name in google assistant. I haven’t got a google home though, just using my phone.

Got it working using “hvor varmt er det i rommet” (loosely translated in ENG: how hot is it in the/this room").
I’m having some trouble getting google home to understand room reference by name (“Stua”) when asking commands…

Google home/assistant in norwegian is pretty new so it probably has some learning to do…just the first couple of weeks seemed to have significant improvement on interpreting dialects. :smile:

Strange, its working with “how hot…”, Its not working in the danish version. I have to ask for the specific temperature…

Same in the danish version. I use manual call names setup in the Google Home app. That way I know it´s always working :slight_smile:

A thing I have noticed is that if you have the room name in the item label in openhab, assistant can get somewhat confused. It’s better to just call it “Temperatur” and then assign it to a room in assistant. Gets harder in openhab though when several items have the same label…

Otherwise swedish is just as new as danish and norwegian, so think all three needs to mature some more before assistant is truly useful.

#######EDIT##### Nevermind, seems it’s not a ghome binding related issue, so just ignore my post :expressionless:

Hi there,
i got a little Problem with the Google Home integration,
i got some WallPlugs in google Home / OpenHab - working
Some dimmers - also working
But i also got some RGB Lights, changin color works, but when i try to dim the colors, i got the following Log entry:

2018-12-03 16:12:53.400 [nt.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - RGB_AZ predicted to become 24

2018-12-03 16:12:53.432 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - RGB_AZ changed from 0,0,72 to 0,0,24

==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==

2018-12-03 16:12:53.424 [ERROR] [nal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler] - An error occurred while calling method 'ThingHandler.handleCommand()' on 'org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.mqtt.generic.internal.handler.GenericThingHandler@17af632': Didn't recognise the color value 24

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Didn't recognise the color value 24

at org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.mqtt.generic.internal.values.ColorValue.update(ColorValue.java:114) ~[?:?]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.mqtt.generic.internal.generic.ChannelState.setValue(ChannelState.java:272) ~[?:?]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.mqtt.generic.internal.handler.AbstractMQTTThingHandler.handleCommand(AbstractMQTTThingHandler.java:119) ~[?:?]

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor23.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?]

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:?]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:153) [101:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.201811281422]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.InvocationHandlerSync.invoke(InvocationHandlerSync.java:59) [101:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.201811281422]

at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy143.handleCommand(Unknown Source) [227:org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.mqtt.generic:0.10.0.201811281422]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.profiles.ProfileCallbackImpl.handleCommand(ProfileCallbackImpl.java:75) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.10.0.201811281422]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.profiles.SystemDefaultProfile.onCommandFromItem(SystemDefaultProfile.java:49) [108:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.10.0.201811281422]

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?]

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:?]

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?]

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:?]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:153) [101:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.201811281422]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.Invocation.call(Invocation.java:53) [101:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.201811281422]

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:?]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]

Anyone knows what i need to do to dim the RGBs?

Thanks in advance

JeckyllHavok

Is it possible google assistant connection is down? Is anyone else experiening problems ?

its been working for me over the last few hours no problems at all.

Thanks, I rebooted my openhab and now it’s working again for me as well thanks.

If I run our own openHAB cloud instance with different domain name then could I able to use such function?

1 Like

How to connect to your own openHAB Cloud instances is documented on Github. Note that I don’t have my Google Assistant setup yet so I can’t be of more help here.

Any idea why when I try to run a routine via Google Home, GH barks that it is “unable to reach [OH item]”, but then actually switches the item on. So it does work, but gives the ugly unable to reach message.

I’ve tried this using both [“Switchable”] items, and [“Scene”] items, both with the same result.

Is there a way to enable logging to see what is going on with these errors?

Thanks for the help!

@Jeff_Smeker ou might have the same issue as I have. There is a bug when your share your home with a second user and when you are all on IOS devices there is a bug that when the use the home is shared with activates voice match GH start saying the OH items are not reachable (like you describe). Using the app works perfectly fine for that same person (as you describe as well).

So if you’re on IOS and if yiu have voice match activated you might suffer from that bug like I do. If that’s the case you can temporarily fix by unsharing and resharing and not using voice match.

Not on IOS, but do have 2 users setup both with Voicematch

try without the voice match, if it works then you know it’s the same google bug. I unshared and reshared more than ten times and the moment I activate voice match for the second user it breaks so it’s easy to find out if it’s the same issue or different

Looks like it’s not voice match. Disabled it for all users withing Google Assistant on my phone, same error. Re sync my devices, same error, renamed the scene description in OH and re-sync, same error but with new scene description. In all cases the switch did change states.

Same issue here. I use Android with single user and without voice match… :frowning:

I’ve did already some debugging on this issue but everything on the openHAB side goes well. Because of that, the questioned item switched on.
This is a known problem and multiple times discussed on the forum and on GitHub.
@MARZIMA I now you’re buzzy, but can you contact Google for this issue or give me the permission to do that?

1 Like

Thank you. It was not clear how to add tags through PaperUI and your method worked for adding the tags, and being recognized by the Google Assistant. :smile:

I just set this up and got it to work while drunk as a skunk on Christmas Port, stupendously easy, well done to all involved!

3 Likes