Official Google Assistant Integration for openHAB

Sort of is the simple answer.

The longer answer is there was a lot of trial and error and some very odd things going on with OpenHab items I don’t think I created directly. I cleaned those up, but I still have to temporarily comment out my lights .items file before resyncing in Google Home or it fails.

There are some additional things imported from Hue itself into Google Home… scenes and such. I have ~82 items for 36 lights or something. Some are clearly scenes I set up for Harmony to use, others look like internal Hue things. None of them are coming out of OpenHab.

I had the same problem, I’m Portuguese. Until we have Google Assistant fully working in Portuguese I had to rename all my lights to English to make it work…

Google Home is speaking in Portuguese but it’s still Beta! The Home Automation part is not fully working

IMHO, i think its better to configure google home to talk ONLY to Openhab and have all devices ( Hue /Scenes/Lifx/whatever) coonfigured to be exposed and controlled via Openhab.
This means Google only needs to communicate to OH and not multiple cloud systems for a device. It also means you can control tightly what Google can control.
I do the same with Imperihome - whilst it can talk to Vera etc directly i have it configured to only talk to OH and thus its much faster to refresh etc.

…just my .02$

1 Like

This also works with Siri on iOS now. https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/20/18105693/google-assistant-siri-shortcuts-feature-iphone-ios

You might be right, we’ll probably have to wait a few more weeks until it’s fully working.

@aart where did you see other users reporting this, I want to follow these discussions to dig deeper.

I anyone sucessfully using Openhab - Google Home with multiple users?
If so what language do you run it in and does it still work after a config change and synchronize command?

I’m now even in the stage where I never get it working any more. When family members add voice match it breaks the openhab items for them, if afterwards I remove them from the “house” and re-invite them they can control Openhab items again but once they re-activate their voice match they can no longer control openhab items. Strangely enough they can still control them from their Google home app and for me “owner of the house” in the app the openhab items remain controllable via voice.

I’m really struggling here on how to figure out whether this is an openhab issue, a google issue or an issue in my setup.

Anywhere here (Dutch!)

For so far as I know, each person whose using voice match has to connect their own Google Home app to openHAB, because with “voice match” you personalize your Google Home to your Google Assistant on your mobile device. So every person who wants to use “voice match” has to have a mobile device with Google Assistant configured.

I can confirm this point. And with that, I have had no issues whatsoever when adding and/or exposing new items.

Google assistant os in beta teste in Brazil with portuguese.
I’d like to know If It needed by the myopenhab.org tô Make any change on the server side to It undrrstand portuguese?

I am trying to use the “Scene” types, but it is not working for me. I added switches as follows:

Switch    SCENE_GANG "Scene Gang" <video> (gScenes)   ["Scene"]     {expire="1s,state=OFF"}

However they do not appear in the google home app after a “sync devices”

Any advice?

1 Like

Thank you very much. I see them there indeed!

@MARZIMA : First of all: big thanx for the GA integration ! It works perfect for me :slight_smile:

Question: What is your opinion about using the new Eclipse Smart Home Ontology & Semantic Tags (link) and/or User-defined Synonyms (e.g. { synonyms="Master Bedroom,Parents' Room" }) to pre-populate information in Google Home?

Is this technically possible? (in the future of course with a Feature Request Issue on Github and the appropriate PR to implement it)

For example: I did some trials and connected my local OH2 to myopenhab.org and then “linked” OH with GH.
After all was working correctly, I cleaned up all configs and started again.
I had to re-add the discoved devices in rooms in GH manually (that’s normal).

Would it be possible to utilize the new tags/synonyms to pre-allocate in GH the devices into rooms? (assuming the Room names already exist in GH… in my case, the custom room names were existing in GH due to the first round of configuration)

I know… I am lazy and I am asking too much… just checking with you if this would be interesting to implement :slight_smile:)

Ps: Great info from @ysc here: HABot Walkthrough (2/n): Semantic Tagging & Item Resolving

3 Likes

I am still new to openHAB, currently in the planing phase.
One thing I don’t get is the Thermostat mode.
I am planning to use the AVM Fritz! DECT 301 Thermostats for my Heating Control via the AVM Fritz Binding.

So in the Item Config I would add the following for the Thermostats:

Group g_LR_Thermostat "Living Room Thermostat" [ "Thermostat", "Celsius" ]
Number:Temperature LR_CurrentTemp "Temp [%.1f %unit%]" (gTemp, g_LR_Thermostat) [ "Current Temperature" ] { channel="avmfritz:Comet_DECT:1:aaaaaabbbbbb:actual_temp" }
Number:Temperature LR_SetTemp "TempSet [%.1f %unit%]" (gTemp, g_LR_Thermostat) [ "TargetTemperature" ] { channel="avmfritz:Comet_DECT:1:aaaaaabbbbbb:set_temp" }

Now I still need to set the Modes. This is what I don’t get. Where can I do this?
The sample of the Binding Documentation includes something like that:

String LR_Mode "Radiator mode [%s]" (gTemp, g_LR_Thermostat) { channel="avmfritz:Comet_DECT:1:aaaaaabbbbbb:radiator_mode" }

And the possible modes are ON/OFF/COMFORT/ECO/BOOST.

They define the Modes in the Sitemap:
Selection item=LR_Mode mappings=["ON"="ON", "OFF"="OFF", "COMFORT"="COMFORT", "ECO"="ECO", "BOOST"="BOOST"] icon="heating"

What would be an easy way to add those modes to the items since Google Assistant needs those?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

The binding doc includes examples. You can use the proper Item name in your sitemap selection.

For troubleshooting purposes: open up a new thread and link to the Announcement thread.

1 Like

I’ve added the thermostat items according to the docs, but I can’t figure out how to ask google for the CurrentTemperature? What’s the proper “voice syntax” ?
(The thermostat with the “currentTemperature” is displayed just fine in the google home app so I know it’s working)

Try with… “Whats the current temperature in… (room)” it depends on what you have in your item label as well, in which room you have set it up… So you got to show you items, if you need help.

Right right, my bad.

Number  TM_Fe_Stue_Vegg    "Temperatur Stua"   [ "CurrentTemperature" ]

Try, “Hey Google, whats the stua temperature” or “hey Google, whats the temperature stua”.
(notice the difference… That last one is 100% identical to your label).