OH2 on DietPi(aggressively optimized OS for SBCs) Vs Raspbian

Hi all.
I have been using OH2 for about an year now. Earlier my setup was on Pi-3b+ with raspbain, however lately I have shifted to a software named Diet-Pi. Diet-Pi is the most lightweight software for SBCs i.e. very light on resources( which are very limited on SBCs) and runs on many other SBCs besides Raspberry Pi as well. Please checkout their page for more details.
The thing I want to talk about is that Diet-Pi adds optimized softwares to their OS and those optimized softwares can be very easily installed by selecting from the menu. They have already added HomeAssistant to their list and there is voting going on for adding other softwares as well. Openhab has about 54 votes till now whereas HASSIO has just 46, however Jellyfin leads with 120.
So I request you all to vote for OH2.
Here is the link
https://feathub.com/MichaIng/DietPi

We Need a lot more votes

2 Likes

That’s an excellent suggestion.
:+1:

I’ve added my vote.

But in fairness it was incredibly easy to add openHAB2 to DietPi on the ODroid C2 units, either manually or using the openhabian script.

• The following is now outdated, Node-RED installs perfectly.

The only minor issue I had was with user privileges for NodeRed, but Michal gave excellent advice to quickly resolve that.

The exact instructions are ;

mkdir -p $G_FP_DIETPI_USERDATA/node-red
usercmd='useradd -rMU'
getent passwd nodered &> /dev/null && usercmd='usermod'
$usercmd -d $G_FP_DIETPI_USERDATA/node-red -s $(command -v nologin) nodered
getent group gpio &> /dev/null && usermod -aG gpio nodered
echo 'nodered ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL' > /etc/sudoers.d/nodered
chown -R nodered:nodered $G_FP_DIETPI_USERDATA/node-red

I’ve also added all the information to get NodeRed onto the openHAB2 dashboard in that thread.

Update April 2020

I’ve created a video that shows setting up an ODroid C2 from scratch with DietPi and adding openHAB2

2 Likes

Done!

1 Like

Wow !
OH reached 11 already. Now we need just about 45 more votes to make it lead by a fair margin. Thanks

Reached 16. Can someone please bring more people here. Or maybe post this link in a pinned post so that more folks get to see it and we can get more votes faster.

20 :wink:

1 Like

23 :slight_smile:

1 Like

domoticz getting 51 votes and we are still on 25. Y.

32 :slight_smile:

1 Like

52 likes
8th position acquired.
Need a few more likes

1 Like

FWIW, you should not be using the v2.2 version that you linked to but the current one.

Would this be better?

yes (although it’s the same but that’s by chance)

1 Like

Added my vote: 55 now
Great idea and anything that helps give Openhab exposure is a good thing to support.

Haven’t they already added openhab to the list that can easily be installed? Is this still current or is the voting all over?

1 Like

Sorry for being late in replying.

Yes so please ask other members to cast their valuable vote too.

Apparently, no. For some reason, this great piece of software is not in their list till now, however, other home automation softwares like HA and Domotics got really good amount of votes in the beginning and hence have been already added to Dietpi but not OH.

The voting goes on forever and we can even add new softwares to the voting list and those getting high votes get prioritized to be added to DIETPI.
So we need maybe about 50 more votes to go to the top place and eventually get prioritized to get added to the optimized softwares list.

Don,t know for some reason only 50% of the people opening the above link casted their vote for OH and hence even after 100 people opening the link, we are stuck at 56 votes. Need support from the OH community. OH would be a great addition to the whole open source community using DIETPI.

1 Like

UP +1. now we have 58 points

1 Like

Thanks to you and all others who are voting and supporting OH

1 Like