OpenHab 2 and Stiebel Eltron

For the time… no i didn’t … will have a look at this.

I think i can cut down the “brute-force” requests to a quite maller subset.

Looking at the reuqest found so far one can assume:

1. Requestbytes form 01 to FF
  2. Reuestsbytes form 000000 to 00FFFF
  3. Reuestsbytes form 0A0000 to 0AFFFF
  4. Reuestsbytes form 0B0000 to 0BFFFF
  5. Reuestsbytes form 0C0000 to 0CFFFF

Maybe one can step over the 0AA*, 0AB* and so on too as most requestbyte sequnces have no byte set on the thid place.

I found no 0D* requestbyte sequence.

I also fiddled around with the XML for 5.09. I had to change the ChannelIDs as in v5.09 most readings seem to be in seperate requestbytes. Maybe you can have a look at the XML if that matches your coding? I built a new jar but my additional channelids are not showing up.

Here is the XML LWZ_THZ303_5_09.xml (10.8 KB)

I will put that in a PR if things are starting to look good, so that we don’t have to much overhead. OK?
(Aim only one PR for this)

For testing i got FanStage Standard now in PaperUI.

We could test setting the fanstage? I’ll work on the LWZ_THZ303_5_09.xml further on.

great to see thing are getting resolved.
keep in mind that the channelid in you xml need to match the channelID in the thing type definition.
i see that the current thing type definition only has 5 channel groups activated

<channel-group id="version" typeId="channelGroupTypeVersion" />
		<channel-group id="time" typeId="channelGroupTypeTime" />
		<channel-group id="currentValues" typeId="channelGroupTypeCurrentValues" />
		<channel-group id="operationCounters" typeId="channelGroupTypeOperationCounters" />
		<channel-group id="nominalValues" typeId="channelGroupTypeNominalValues" />

if you like to activate more we need to add the other channelgroups.

Hello all,

I stopped testing new commands three weeks ago. When I had almost 100° C flow temperature in the morning I lost the desire to test… :confused: A reset of the electronics fixed the problem but I’m still worried about breaking something.

I would be happy if the binding would remain and the already working functions of the 705 would be preserved. I still use them without any problems.

Hi @kreutzer_peter, @Hogan,
You’ve made a great job on this topic. thank you :+1:
Could you give me an advice on my home config? My installation has the Stiebel heatpump WPL-13 with the manager WPM III and the ISG. What would be the best approach to integrate the ISG into my openhab config? thank you for your help :slight_smile:

looks like that ISG provide web page which can be integrated in openhab via http binding

hi Pierre,

binding is working well for me. Have it in operation since months.
the issue reported, could you provide a debug log of the setting change you did?

btw i think soon when OH3 is out will make an attempt to get the binding migrated

Dear Peter (an all others involved),

migrating the serial StiebelEltron connection to OH2 is awesome. For now I have made a “poor mans solution” working: I had Robert Penz’s python code running and grabbed the JSON data to OH. It works but I prefer the fully integrated solution.
Unfortunately my THZ 304 runs on firmware 7.09 and this means I need to make a new version-.xml (might be not a big deal as I can use the data from my current solution).
My questions:

• Is there a folder on the OH where to put this .xml?
  • Or do I have to integrate it in the source code and generate a .jar-file of it? I am not super familiar with OH and just took the available SNAPSHOT-jar file for now. Any help on how to generate the .jar file from the source code would be appreciated.

hi ,
best would be to add you file to the current github

Here can can find some examples.
And of course you can clone and make a pull request as others have done her in the this topic.

maybe this file is a good
LWZ_THZ504_7_59.xml

Hi Peter,
thanks for the hint. If cloned your fork of openhab-addons. Unfortunately I do not get a -jar file generated with maven. stiebelheatpump was not in the pom-file. I have tried to modify the pom-file but without any luck yet.
Any help or advice how to get a .jar-file compiled or what needs to be edit? (sorry, I am a bloody novice in that)

one way could be to add the xml to the jar.
with
jar tf org.openhab.binding.stiebelheatpump-2.5.4-SNAPSHOT200512.jar
you can view the jar content
jar uf org.openhab.binding.stiebelheatpump-2.5.4-SNAPSHOT200512.jar ESH-INF/thing/LWZ_THZ504_7_09.xml
should add the newly created file.

i never tried it but it should work

Hello,
I am new to openhab and following this discussion regarding the inclusion of the stiebel heatpump, quite a long time and I see many experienced people talking here.
I am thinking of of geting OH started quite a long time and a few days ago I found the time to install the Raspi and start the system.
Installing bindings for modbus and homematic was quite simple and the homematic CCU2 connection works quite well.
My problem is the connection to the heatpump.
I tried it in myself but without succes and hopefully somebody can give me assistance on getting the heatpumt connection started.
After reading the introduction of the Stiebel Eltron ISG binding my first thought was: should be no problem. But now after many trials I am coming back to reality: getting started with openhab is not easy…

What is my situation:

• heatpump Stiebel Eltron LWZ 304 Trend
  • ISG running (latest SW; Modbus running)
  • OH running on a Raspi
  • all in the same network :wink:

What I tried:
(Stiebel Eltron ISG - Bindings | openHAB)

• Creating a thing file in the folder \openHAB-conf\things\
  • Name: stiebel.thing

Code:
Bridge modbus:tcp:bridge “Stiebel Modbus TCP”[ host=“192.168.178.21”, port=502, id=1 ] {
** Thing heatpump stiebelEltron “StiebelEltron” (modbus:tcp:modbusbridge) @“Room” [ ]**
}

Looking at the Log Viewer is see the following:
2021-01-20 15:53:54.264 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘modbus:heatpump:lwz’ changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Bridge is offline

What am I doing wrong? Would be great if somebody can give me assistance to get this started.

I am not sure but the example in the docs looks a bit off. Especially the stuff in parentheses seems to be extra.

Looking at things config docs Things | openHAB . html

I suggest to try the following

Bridge modbus:tcp:bridge "Stiebel Modbus TCP" [ host="192.168.178.21", port=502, id=1 ] {
    Thing heatpump stiebelEltron "StiebelEltron" @ "Room" [ ]
}

You can also try to create things using MainUI in openHAB3 to skip the error-prone text configuration. Opening up the thing in the UI might reveal more details as well.

Hello and thanks for the quick help.
I got the system running, but not by the use of the binding (it only brought mistakes) but with the use if *.things file and +.item file from a different forum:
https://knx-user-forum.de/forum/supportforen/openhab/42226-neues-stiebel-eltron-wärmepumpen-binding/page2

What is still not running is the transformation to correct values:
Code example:
Thing data LWZ_Aussentemperatur “LWZ304 Außentemperatur” [ readStart=“6”, readValueType=“int16”, readTransform=“JS(divide10.js)” ]

Log says:
2021-01-24 20:53:31.996 [WARN ] [nding.modbus.internal.Transformation] - couldn’t transform response because transformationService of type ‘JS’ is unavailable

Sorry to hear the binding did not work for you, I wonder what was the issue. Did you try my suggestion by the way? Would be nice to fix errors in docs

You need to install the javascript transformation. You can do this via openHAB3 MainUI

Dear ssalonen,

yes I’ve tried your suggestion. Ths log than says the follwing:
2021-01-25 08:59:02.879 [WARN ] [rt.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl] - Try 1 out of 3 failed when executing request (ModbusReadRequestBlueprint@1399777[slaveId=1,functionCode=READ_MULTIPLE_REGISTERS,start=1500,length=11,maxTries=3]). Will try again soon. Error was: net.wimpi.modbus.ModbusSlaveException Error Code = 2 [operation ID 3cce3ae6-e19f-4cd4-a809-767e91481834]

2021-01-25 08:59:02.952 [WARN ] [rt.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl] - Try 2 out of 3 failed when executing request (ModbusReadRequestBlueprint@1399777[slaveId=1,functionCode=READ_MULTIPLE_REGISTERS,start=1500,length=11,maxTries=3]). Will try again soon. Error was: net.wimpi.modbus.ModbusSlaveException Error Code = 2 [operation ID 3cce3ae6-e19f-4cd4-a809-767e91481834]

2021-01-25 08:59:03.029 [ERROR] [rt.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl] - Last try 3 failed when executing request (ModbusReadRequestBlueprint@1399777[slaveId=1,functionCode=READ_MULTIPLE_REGISTERS,start=1500,length=11,maxTries=3]). Aborting. Error was: net.wimpi.modbus.ModbusSlaveException Error Code = 2 [operation ID 3cce3ae6-e19f-4cd4-a809-767e91481834]
Does this help for imporving the binding? Should I try something more? I am also interested in helping and providing an automatically heatpump connection. Let me know.

Hi all,
we are currently working to test the OH2 binding for OH3.
Thomas spend some effort to make the initial migration.
I have is up and running in my OH3 environment.

If there is somebody that like to test in OH* , let me know.
BR

The target device has rejected the read request, complaining about “illegal address”. That might also be about the length or type.

It’s a config issue, not a binding problem.

Some devices only let you read register lengths in multiples of 2 or 4.

1 Like

Great stuff you guys did here with the serial connection, thanks!

I’m wondering if my pump Tecalor TTC 07 is also supported. I could only read about LWZ and THZ models here. ISG would be available for it, but it’s quite expensive for my taste. Is anybody out there who already tried it with a similar model like mine?

Keep up the good work!

support will depend on your heatpump has a serial interface , similar to the LWZ.
manybe you can find some interfaces described in your manual.