Openhab 2 sitemap not showing - please help

I am using the openhabian install. I have transfered my sitemaps from OH1 into the sitemaps folder, but when I look on the basic or classic UI, it says there are no sitemaps…

I also can’t find the demo anywhere :frowning:

Can’t find much online about this, so really would appreciate some help.

You must specify which sitemap use in Basic UI - Configuration>Services>BasicIU>Configure>Defaul Sitemap

http://docs.openhab.org/tutorials/demo.html

Thanks for the responses…so simple when you know how. I am so used to Openhab 1 that this fancy ‘2’ stuff is so alien.

thanks again.

Just to specify for those that may stumble upon this thread. In OH2 you need to go into Paper UI to the section above and specify which sitemap to use in Basic UI.

I had to do a OpenHabian reinstall recently and looked at the computer dumbfounded for about 5 minutes myself until I remembered this!

1 Like

Right, so I’ve done this, and I get:

Welcome!
Available sitemaps
There are no sitemaps available.

:frowning:

Sitemaps are in the sitemap folder called ‘home.sitemap’…am I missing something here? It is the most frustrating thing :frowning:

1 Like

I read everywhere that there is a default sitemap…but there has never been one on my install…

If unsure what to do: just read the docs (these are often better than expected):

http://docs.openhab.org/tutorials/migration#sitemap

Note that the path to the Sitemap UIs have changed. If one goes to http://:8080 you will see a list of all the installed UIs, including the administration UIs. To get to ClassicUI the URL is http://:8080/classicui/app?sitemap=. If you previously used default.sitemap as your file name so you could skip the ?sitemap= part you must now rename the file to _default.sitemap and change the very first line of the file to read sitemap _default label=".

I’m having the same problem, did the exact procedures and I got the same answer. My sitemap is at the folder /etc/openhab2/sitemaps.

Did you solve your problem so far??

I’m having the same issue, but no errors logged in openhab.log.

If I filer on “sitemap” when I start openhab 2.1 I see:

2017-07-16 11:48:51.453 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] -       mvn:org.eclipse.smarthome.io/org.eclipse.smarthome.io.rest.sitemap/0.9.0.b5
2017-07-16 11:48:51.455 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] -       mvn:org.eclipse.smarthome.model/org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap/0.9.0.b5
2017-07-16 11:48:51.455 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] -       mvn:org.eclipse.smarthome.model/org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.runtime/0.9.0.b5
2017-07-16 11:48:51.661 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] -   mvn:org.eclipse.smarthome.io/org.eclipse.smarthome.io.rest.sitemap/0.9.0.b5
2017-07-16 11:48:51.677 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] -   mvn:org.eclipse.smarthome.model/org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap/0.9.0.b5
2017-07-16 11:48:51.679 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] -   mvn:org.eclipse.smarthome.model/org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.runtime/0.9.0.b5
2017-07-16 11:49:07.790 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.core                    ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.SitemapProvider}={component.name=org.openhab.defaultsitemapprovider, component.id=37, service.id=194, service.bundleid=166, service.scope=bundle} - org.openhab.core
2017-07-16 11:49:07.857 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] -   org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap/0.9.0.b5
2017-07-16 11:49:07.861 [INFO ] [g.apache.aries.spifly.dynamic.bundle] - Bundle Considered for SPI providers: org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap
2017-07-16 11:49:07.861 [INFO ] [g.apache.aries.spifly.dynamic.bundle] - No 'SPI-Provider' Manifest header. Skipping bundle: org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap
2017-07-16 11:49:08.187 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] -   org.eclipse.smarthome.io.rest.sitemap/0.9.0.b5
2017-07-16 11:49:08.199 [INFO ] [g.apache.aries.spifly.dynamic.bundle] - Bundle Considered for SPI providers: org.eclipse.smarthome.io.rest.sitemap
2017-07-16 11:49:08.199 [INFO ] [g.apache.aries.spifly.dynamic.bundle] - No 'SPI-Provider' Manifest header. Skipping bundle: org.eclipse.smarthome.io.rest.sitemap
2017-07-16 11:49:08.448 [INFO ] [internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl] -   org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.runtime/0.9.0.b5
2017-07-16 11:49:08.670 [INFO ] [g.apache.aries.spifly.dynamic.bundle] - Bundle Considered for SPI providers: org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.runtime
2017-07-16 11:49:08.670 [INFO ] [g.apache.aries.spifly.dynamic.bundle] - No 'SPI-Provider' Manifest header. Skipping bundle: org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.runtime
javax.servlet.ServletException: Sitemap 'nicks' could not be found
Caused by: org.eclipse.smarthome.ui.classic.render.RenderException: Sitemap 'nicks' could not be found

I understand that there may be an error somewhere in my extensive config files (but I had no errors in OH 2.0). If there is nothing in the logs, how do I find the problem?

is the way to go first.

Make sure you have a file named nicks.sitemap in your sitemaps folder and the first line reads
sitemap nicks label="Whatever"

Thanks,

I have been using Openhab for many years, it’s the jump to Release 2.1 that is the issue. The new error checking function (that throws out the entire file if there is a tiny issue) is preventing anything from working.

I have tracked down one issue, where I had

autoupdate=false

where it should have been

autoupdate="false"

This prevented the whole insteonplm binding from starting up. (previously worked with no issue though).

Still looking for more “issues”, but without the UI’s up, it’s very hard to find them, especially when there is nothing in the log to indicate a problem.

1 Like

Found all sorts of “Gotchas” in the new V2.1, but finally got the UI back, after hours of combing the sitemap for problems.

Things to look for:

Groups now must have an item defined (previously this was not the case). it doesn’t matter it the item actually exists or not, you just have to have one.

So:

Group label="Cameras" icon="camera" {
}

Kills your whole UI, but

Group item=non-existent_item label="Cameras icon="camera" {
}

works. Crazy, but there it is…

Also, you can’t have an empty frame, so this construct:

Frame label="current selection" icon="select" {
    Text item=itemA visibility=[select==ON]
    Text item=itemB visibility=[select==OFF]
}

Will also kill the whole UI if item “select” starts up as NULL, and gets assigned later on (say by a switch, which you can’t see as your UI is dead), or is restored by persistence (which mine wasn’t as the syntax for persistence changed without telling us). You can add an item with visibility=[select==NULL] to get round this mess.

Oh, and there are no error messages in the log to help you find this stuff.

@Kai and the team at OH have succeeded in making OH2 V2.1 so fragile that it will break completely with the slightest provocation. A significant step backward in my opinion.

1 Like

Thanks, I just upgraded to ver 2.1 and started writing empty frames just to get a look of how it would look like and boom no sitemap shows up in basic UI. I guess I just needs to add some items to get it to work…

Can this only be done in PaperUi or is there also the possibility to do this in a text config file? And if so in which file? In runtime.cfg there are no options for this. Can I just add the relevant command?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian

Suffering pain with Sitemaps just now - have to agree, a system that does not report errors and provides a ‘cannot find sitemap’ error if (when) you get things wroing (so suggesting the file is missing rather than broken) is far from ideal - especially when it was working previously.

As a minimum I would like to see the error message for a broken sitemap changed from ‘Sitemap could not be found’ to something like ‘Sitemap has errors’

Problems don’t happen if you configure your sitemap according to the docs:

http://docs.openhab.org/configuration/sitemaps.html

Funnily enough, I had already looked at that page. And there is nothing obvious there about how to configure a ZWave Contact to display Open/Closed.

And there is nothing obvious along the lines of ‘if you get one thing wrong you will see a Java Sitemap not found error’ or indeed anything about how to resolve issues.

There is also nothing on that page to tell you that you have to use the Configuration/Services option under the Paper UI to use a different Sitemap name.

Nor is there anything to tell you that OH2.1 is more sensitive than OH2.

But thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

I was just referring to that statement:

So I don’t understand the rest of your answer.
I can only repeat: if you configure your sitemap according to the docs, you won’t have any problems, not with openHAB 2.0, nor with openHAB 2.1

For that you have to look at the items docs page:
http://docs.openhab.org/configuration/items.html

No, that can be found by using the search button in this forum.

No, that can be found on the sitemap docs page:
http://docs.openhab.org/tutorials/beginner/sitemap.html

Hey Guys, I am using, by my first time, openhab-generator (yo openhab), and it created the files at /home/openhabian/…
so it is like:
/home/openhabian/sitemaps/my-sitemap.sitemap
/home/openhabian/items/my-items.items

I am not sure this is the right place as IU still reporting:
Welcome!

Available sitemaps

It seems like you have not defined any sitemaps yet. To build one, please check the documentation for guidance.

But I had defined my-sitemap in the ui configurations…

the location for the files should not be at
/etc/openhab2/sitemaps/ ?

Also, I have not found any Default files either for sitemaps or items.