openHAB 3.0 Milestone 3 discussion

Dear all

I understand that my entry here is a bit OT. Firstly I thought to open up a separate thread for but maybe it is easier found later on. If one is having the same kind of question.

I use the following devices (actually five):

And one channel here is a setpoint (marked yellow).
heltun_values

** Interestingly i configured the devices all in the same way. but one is showing a different value

But honestly I have no clue what to do here:

Can one of you guys help me here please?

Thanks
Stefan

I can confirm that the checkbox does not fully work anymore with M3. After the update, it first kept on working, but only since my browser had the old caches still in place. But after purging the caches to get access to the new developer sidebar, the checkbox does not work anymore. The ā€œAdd Itemā€ command is still added to the list of commands, but the model does not show non-semantic items anymore.

1 Like

Hello @ysc,

Nice work, thank very much. Is the developer sidebar also available on the iPad Pro!? I can not find it under developer tools section.

Thank you!

As Bruce said, perhaps there isnā€™t much for you to upgrade now. But I can say definitively the longer you wait, the more work it will be too move to a new version should the need arise. If what you are running now works and as long as you donā€™t change anything (no system or os updates either) you might get many years out of it. but as soon as a third party changes their api, or a certificate expires, or the like you will largely be on your own unless you upgrade. The old bindingā€™s ate no longer maintained and oh knowledge is fungable, there are fewer people who can help with old versions as time passes.

1 Like

I have added the issue as a bug in github.

@Bruce_Osborne @rlkoshak thanks for taking time to respond to my questions and the points you make are very valid, especially as pertains to certificates and apiā€™s such as the iCloud binding which I use in conjunction with the GPSTracker binding for geofencing and presence detection. Certainly those type of bindings, along with weather, are most likely to require more frequent updating and already have been moved to OH 3.0 in my test system which is federated using RemoteOpenHab and works amazingly well. My big issue is ISY/Insteon and to a lesser extent Panasonic and Epson where I have both a considerable monetary investment in hardware and use OH rules extensively to automate my household lighting, thermostat, sensors, leak detection, gates, garage doors, theater, etc. As you both point out, at the moment I am not missing anything by not moving to OH 3.0 and there is no urgency for me to migrate/federate my production system as long as my hardware remains viable and no major changes to the api are made, which I believe will be the case as these are well established technologies with a lot of legacy installations. In fact at the moment for this hardware there is no path forward to OH 3.0 anyway so my only option is to continue to run a 2.5.x install to support them. However, as I type this my thinking is evolving as to why and how best to move forward, so thanks again for sharing your perspectives.

1 Like

Panasonic Binding testing for my tv and its working.

Thatā€™s great to see that this binding is being updated. I have a Panny Viera plasma. Do u think this is compatible? Is this going to be merged into an OH 3 build, or will it be a standalone/marketplace addon? Iā€™d like to give it a shot if that is possible?

EDIT: Not sure how I missed it but I found the thread re Panasonic OH3 so I will dl and give it a try. Thanks.

1 Like

If it has medium>=0 dimensions.
Please ensure your screenā€™s width is above 1280px.

Hello Yannick,

The resolution is 1 668 x 2 388 Pixel, but there is box option to activate the sidebarā€¦

Hi all.
I did the big jump today, from 2.x to 3.x. I was kinda nervous for everything breaking down, but the transition went really smooth! Big kudos for everyone involved in making this possible!

Currently Iā€™m still fiddling around, trying to learn where to find everything in the new interface. Two small questions this far:

1. I get errors in the log about add-ons not existing anymore, like expire1, restdocs etc. Where do I need to remove those to make the warnings go away?
  2. Minor UI glitch: The vertical scrollbar in the list of Things doesnā€™t work for me. The only way I can seem to scroll is using the keyboard up and down. This is in Firefox on Windows 10.

@DanielMalmgren

Hi Daniel I had the same experience when I upgraded to v3 most went surprisingly smooth.

addons are most probably in the OH_CONFIG/services/addons.cfg

I did some searching, seems like /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/addons.config is the file to look in :sunglasses:

1 Like

That is true in many installations but userdata can be located elsewhere.

1 Like

I am working on a test version of a binding. It seems that dropping the jar file in the addons folder does not automatically load it. Is this a bug? Or is there a work around?

I do the same thing and havenā€™t had any issues.

1 Like

Also no issues with this, just make sure to uninstall/remove any (official?) version of the binding you might have in place?

1 Like

I also do not see a manually installed binding in the UI under bindings. I have to create a new thing, then I see it.

I guess everyone is right in their own wayā€¦

• It seems to be correct that a binding jar dropped in addons does (secretly) load itself.
  • It seems to be correct that it is not visible in the UI as having been so loaded.

Seems to work fine hereā€¦