openHAB 3.0 Release discussion

What other option was there when the binding was developed and had to have all Thing definitions in the binding? There are now over 1200 different device entries.The developers in charge were well aware of the need for updates here. In fact 3.0.3 does not have even close to an updated database. That binding was last updated in December 2020.

Not going to argue, since you have been a big help. I will point out I did consider the zwave binding updates due to new devices as stable. I don’t track it but there are two to three a week. Never had a problem, just dropping a new .jar in the addons, leaving the rest of OH alone, until this OSGi thing. Guess I was lulled to sleep.

Bob

So firstly, my apologies for the mess. As the developer I’ll take responsibility for not updating this, although I will say that I was not aware of this branch being used for this release, and that is why the database was not updated. I assume that the database in this branch is from when the branch was created and that’s why it is so old as I’ve not updated it - ever.

I’ve now created a new script to also update this branch - along with the 2.5.x and main branches and will try and keep everything up to date. Clearly this will only be built when builds are done so it won’t immediately update anything now - sorry.

3 Likes

Don’t be sorry; that seems to be a huge chore, maintaining three versions plus any real development.

2 Likes

It’s not so bad to maintain them as I just run a script to update a branch in GitHub from the database. However when I don’t know a new branch exists, that does make it difficult, and it won’t get done unless someone actually tells me about it

2 Likes

@Kai in the announcement post you mentioned moving from bintray to Artifactory and this will be done automatically on updating to 3.0.2. This didn’t happen for me, my apt openhab.list file still points to bintray, do you have the new repo entry to match Artifactory?

Hi @rastus_rob, since the openhab.list file is a file that you made, a package shouldn’t (sometimes can’t) overwrite it. You should find an openhab-linuxpkg.list in the same location which points to artifactory and when you apt update you’ll see artifactory being used correctly.

If you do, you’re safe to delete openhab.list (openHABian users may see it appear again as this file is managed by it)

3 Likes

Thanks @Benjy , found it and deleted old file, thanks for that.

I don’t know if this is the correct thread, but i would to report that the link to download the distro package 3.0.2 found in download page under manual installation section is broken.

Thanks

Agree, we should keep in mind that many developers don’t track each post etc., but are hitting road blocks if these things change by just doing a rebase.

I think we’ll will see more hick-ups over the upcoming weeks

• The is no way to setup an build environment which produces an output running on the productive OH release 3.0.2 - there are the 2.5.x and 3.0 streams, but 3.0 maps to main branch, which is fluent
  • Changes targeting the new Karaf versionare already merged. This creates a dependency, which can’t be fullfilled by an existing 3.0
3.1M3 installation. Users installing binding updates will into this issue
  • At the same time a 3.0.x binding will not run on 3.1M4 (at least this is my understanding)
  • It took several hours to investigate the problem, luckily @wborn was aware of the fact and gave the magic hint (-Dohc.version=3.0.2), it between 2 more users ran into the issue after updating the Shelly binding
  • Somehow my .m2/repository folder got mixed up, so it took me 2 more hours to get the idea to delete .m2/repository/openhab and restart, finally that produced a 3.0.x compatible build

From my pov we should have the following objectives

• The IDE installer allows me to setup a build environment matching the last released OH version (in this case 3.0.2), so I’m able to update a binding, which runs on the “official version” or one, which requires a feature from the latest core. This can be achieved by adding a new stream to the installer on every official release + “main”, which represents the latest version under development. In this case I could re-install my IDE 20 times without trapping into this issue.
  • Don’t expect users switching to SNAPSHOT/milestone builds, because they need a bugfix. Many of them want to stay on the official release until a new version is stable. I still see a good buch of 2.5 users. Switching to SNAPSHOT/milestone build could impact your complete installation while you were looking only for one updated binding.
  • We have to find a proper format and pro-active communication to make users, but also developers aware of breaking changes - e.g. a post to the announcement channel even “only” relevant for developers

At the end it’s easy to have one code base for 2.5, 3.0 and 3.1 if you know how to build. This can be done with a script, but you need to be aware that something changed.

The 3.0 branch was used to deploy 3.0.2 and I think has tagged any changes as 3.0.3-SNAPSHOT @chris was not aware of that until yesterday so 3.0.2 zwave binding has the database from las December’s 3.0.0 release. The branch has since been updated with current database entries.

I just tried to do a fresh install and noticed that steam “2.5.x” has been removed and “3.0” is now “main”
Why can’t we provide
“2.5.x”
“3.0.x”
“main”
and making “main” default.

Let the developer decide what he/she needs! We still have 2.5 and 3.0 in the field and 3.1 ist 3 month away.

As stated in the latest announcement 2.5 development has ceased. You are looking at the situation from a user perspective, much like I do. That is not how many developers view the situation.
There is no more core 2.5.s branch ( please use the propwe term for a git repos) but development on the core ceased with 2.5.0. Only bindings were updated in later patch releases.

3.0 branch has also been deleted from core repo I see

main is for 3.1 and has been ever since 3.0 was released.

Most in the community only develop addons and all 3 branches are currently still present.

Yes, the thread isn’t bad for it - thanks for noticing, the download links are now fixed!

Hi everyone,

I am using OH since about 4 years (I guess) and am EXTREMLY happy with it. Recently though I have the feeling, that zwave has changed from 2.x to 3.x.
However, I have read, that this is not the case, but some other people report issues with zwave as well.
I would like to emphasize, that it’s a just a feeling (reponse time when switching e.g. a fibaro switch) and is not based on deeper investigations (yet).

That being said:
In regards to zwave: Which OH version should I prefer? (currently running 3.0.2).
3.0.2 or SNAPSHOT 3.1?

The runtime/bin/update script (from 3.0.1) cannot locate 3.0.2:

Downloading openHAB 3.0.2...
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found                                                                                                             

Download failed, version 3.0.2 does not exist.

Guess it is still pointing to bintray, not artifactory

I thought this should work until the end of the month?

As noted in the release notes, 3.0.2 is available on artifactory only.

The binaries are available on Artifactory and via “Stable” in our Linux repositories.

Yes and no; bintray closes at the end of the month; so OH was already moved to artifactory now in 3.02