openHAB 3.1 Milestone discussion

Hi,
I tested 3.1 Milestone 4 yesterday for a very short time before heard that Milestone 5 will be today and hence I jumped today directly from M3 to Milestone 5.
I recognized that with M4 as well as with M5 the colored output in the karaf log has gone (INFO=cyan, ERROR=red, DEBUG=black, WARNING=magenta). Any idea how to get this back?

Between M3 & M4 there was an update to OSGi &, I believe, karaf. Perhaps that explains the change.

Thanks Bruce for this quick response!!! Ok, so the reason seems to be clear :slight_smile:
ā€¦ The question is where and how to ask if this can be turned back :thinking:

If karaf was updated perhaps an apache karaf forum may have the answer.

Good question. I have found https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-7029, which seems to hint that the userdata/etc/org.apache.karaf.log.cfg file needs to be changed for the Karaf 4.2 to 4.3 upgrade.

The Karaf distro now contains:

color.fatal = "bright red"
color.error = "bright red"
color.warn = "bright yellow"
color.info = "bright green"
color.debug = "cyan"
color.trace = "cyan"
pattern = "\u001b[90m%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS}\u001b[0m %h{%p}{FATAL=${color.fatal}, ERROR=${color.error}, WARN=${color.warn}, INFO=${color.info}, DEBUG=${color.debug}, TRACE=${color.trace}} \u001b[90m[%t]\u001b[0m %m%n"

I couldnā€™t figure out, how to update our version of the file so that it keeps the same formatting, but re-adds the colorsā€¦ Maybe you are more lucky and can come up with the correct update? (fyi @wborn)

1 Like

Hi @Kai,
taking these settings 1:1 seems not to work very well:

But it is a good hint where to start redefining the settings to get the previous output format :+1:

EDIT I found this in Kais Link:

The problem comes from the org.apache.karaf.log.cfg. Our distribution still had the same configuration we used in 4.2:

pattern = %d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} | %-5.5p | %-16.16t | %-32.32c | %20.20X{bundle.name}:%X{bundle.version} | %m%n

Reverting this to what's shipped with 4.3.0 shows colors again.

Question is ā€¦ ā€œWhat is the default shipped with 4.3?ā€

This also did not bring the colors back :frowning:

It also seems that the log:DiSPLAY has now the ā€œtailā€ option per default as I only get the last few lines when running the command???

@Kai, @wborn,

I found this in the same thread that you have mentioned above:

> The karaf console => log:tail is no longer colored, but all white. I checked 
> my org.apache.karaf.log.cfg file and there is no '--no-color' property there. 
> So i debugged a bit 
> org.apache.karaf.log.core.internal.LogEventFormatterImpl.getColor(PaxLoggingEvent,
>  boolean) and found an issue there.
> return level2Color.get(event.getLevel());
> the map key is of type org.osgi.service.log.LogLevel, while event.getLevel() 
> is of type org.ops4j.pax.logging.spi.PaxLevel (incompatible). So for testing 
> purposes i changed to return level2Color.get(event.getLevel().toLevel()); 
> (which is the proper LogLevel type)
> and the console was colored again.
> I file this as minor although for me it is at least normal, i got very used 
> to the color-coded log levels... :)

especially this part:

>  ... So for testing 
> purposes i changed to return level2Color.get(event.getLevel().toLevel()); 
> (which is the proper LogLevel type)
> and the console was colored again.

Does it make sense to fix this manually as a workaround until it is fixed in karaf?
I donā€™t where level2Color.get() is located :frowning: Every hint is appreciated.

Would you want to create an issue at openhab-distro so that we can move the discussion there?

Of course. This is directly on Github, right? Sorry, I am not so used to do this :slight_smile: but I find my way to it ā€¦ I am currently not at home. I will do when I get back!

Thanks for rating this as a valid issue!

Issue submitted:

@Kai with regards to rooting out regressions before the release of 3.1, it looks like the regression that appeared in M3 that impacts users with apache reverse proxies hasnā€™t been addressed yet: github issue & forum discussion

1 Like

Hello all since M5 build of openhab 3.1 i get this error

2021-06-01 14:08:07.859 [WARN ] [org.apache.felix.fileinstall ] - Error while starting bundle:

file:/usr/share/openhab/addons/org.openhab.binding.weatherflowsmartweather-3.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.binding.weatherflowsmartweather [313]

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: javax.measure; version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)"

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:463) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.16.200.jar:?]

at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.start(EquinoxBundle.java:440) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.16.200.jar:?]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundle(DirectoryWatcher.java:1260) [bundleFile:3.6.8]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundles(DirectoryWatcher.java:1233) [bundleFile:3.6.8]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.doProcess(DirectoryWatcher.java:520) [bundleFile:3.6.8]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.process(DirectoryWatcher.java:365) [bundleFile:3.6.8]

at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.run(DirectoryWatcher.java:316) [bundleFile:3.6.8]

I get this as well now after upgrading from 3.1M2 - 3.1M5 for a binding (opensprinkler) which I have dropped into the addons folder

Why is the yioremote binding not working from the official repository but if i local add it to the addon folder itā€™s running fine?

When you see this error, the add-on needs to be recompiled because the UoM dependencies got a major update with openhab-core#2319.

1 Like

Hi all, since M5 I donā€™t see my manually defined items (from itemsfile) linked to channels (in the thing web interface) anymore. This looks specific to the LuxtronikHeatpump binding. All other manual items look to be linked properly.
These manually defined items doesnā€™t get any updates from the binding whereas new items defined within the interface do get updates.
Might that be due to M5 changes? Or would that be binding-specific?

Make sure Item types and channel types match, in case quantities (with units) are involved.

Thanks for the hint.
Got it, the channel ids where just updated. I didnā€™t see that as my VSCode extension still showed to old ids.

Like JustinG mentioned, a few folks having this issue with apache reverse proxy no longer working after M2. This seems to have broken on upgrade from M2 to M3 if I recall correctly. M4 didnā€™t address the issue either.

If there is anything I can do to help testing let me know.