openHAB and Google Assistant

Can I integrate and use Openhab 2 and Google assistant (GA) in my phone even if don’t have a device like google home or alexa??
And I tried linking Openhab and Google Assistant account, it says link sucessful but no devices is being showed GA shows No devices connected, (I have attached a screenshot of this)

while the screenshots in https://github.com/openhab/openhab-google-assistant/blob/master/USAGE.md show a openhab test device as connected,
(upload://uAEPnIqtIFfN6tMrvD3qocnFotF.png)which brings me back to my initial question, am i getting this message because ido not have a home device like google and alexa and do i really need them to connect GA and openhab.

Yes

Read on (you need to tag your items)

1. Official Google Assistant Integration for openHAB - #131 by ranielsen
  2. Google Home & openHAB connection How-To
1 Like

Can I integrate and use Openhab 2 and Google assistant (GA) in my phone even if don’t have a device like google home or alexa??

I understand this question was answered but I found this(copy pasted below) in requirements for openhab and google assistant.

Google Assistant Action

Google Assistant is Google’s virtual personal assistant and uses Actions on Google as the platform for “Actions” (software applications) to extend the functionality of the Google Assistant. Users engage Google Assistant in conversation to get things done, like controlling their devices and things at home. You can use the officially certified openHAB Action for Google Assistant to easily manage and control your smart home by conversational experiences between you and your openHAB smart home powered by voiced commands.

This guide describes step by step how to use the openHAB Google Assistant Smart Home Action. The openHAB Action links your openHAB setup through the myopenHAB.org cloud service to the Google Assistant platform (for technical insights, please refer to this guide to read more about setup options and development information).

With the Action you can voice control your openHAB items and it supports lights, plugs, switches and thermostats. The openHAB Action comes with multiple language support like English, German or French language.

General Configuration Instructions

Requirements

openHAB Cloud Connector configured using myopenHAB.org
Google account
Google Home or Google Home mini

@mmj6
forget about Google Assistant actions.

All you need is a connection to the myopenhab.org
And then follow:

Works with the GA app on phone. No need for Google home devices.

1 Like